210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

^ any ideas for reducing crime around Epicentre? More police, metal detectors, less clubs, less crowds allowed, or just get used to a shooting at the complex every couple months?

Closing the center is just an attempt (imo wrong one) at trying to resolve random shootings Uptown.

As long as we're tossing out wild solutions, how about looking into local policies regarding alcohol consumption? Increasing taxes or revoking liquor licenses in the area, etc. Apparently 40-50% of homicides involve alcohol use (source).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/business/epicentre-will-see-changes-after-violent-crimes-in-uptown/275-1788db14-8f0d-49b5-bb89-059c82d44adb

Changes are coming! 

"The Epicentre, long known for its collection of bars and restaurants, will abandon its entertainment theme and replace it with retail and office space, NBC Charlotte has learned.

In fact, the change is already underway. A number of bars and restaurants are already gone, leaving behind empty spaces for now."

23 minutes ago, chrisp said:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/business/epicentre-will-see-changes-after-violent-crimes-in-uptown/275-1788db14-8f0d-49b5-bb89-059c82d44adb

Changes are coming! 

"The Epicentre, long known for its collection of bars and restaurants, will abandon its entertainment theme and replace it with retail and office space, NBC Charlotte has learned.

In fact, the change is already underway. A number of bars and restaurants are already gone, leaving behind empty spaces for now."

I don’t get why it needs to languish until after the RNC Convention.

• Like 2

There was a shooting at the Epicenter in April,  a murder in October, and then the police reponse involving the shooting of two people (and death of one).  If this series of events occurred at a bar or restuarant in a suburban area, the business would be shut down by court order as a nuisance and endangerment to public safety.  

At some point, the indifference of the city government and court system to murders and other serious crimes is going give Charlotte a comeuppance, damage its reputation, and adversely affect economic development and the recruiting of businesses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dale said:

I don’t get why it needs to languish until after the RNC Convention.

This is exactly why Brevard needs to be an authentic bar district into the arena @ricky_davis_fan_21

There needs to always be a bar district near major sporting or other events to complete the host location. That is what served the epicentre's best purpose. Its pretty crazy Eastland Mall and Potentially even City Fair had longer lives. (I know it won't be torn down but still...)

• Like 1

There was a shooting at the Epicenter in April,  a murder in October, and then the police reponse involving the shooting of two people (and death of one).  If this series of events occurred at a bar or restuarant in a suburban area, the business would be shut down by court order as a nuisance and endangerment to public safety.  
At some point, the indifference of the city government and court system to murders and other serious crimes is going give Charlotte a comeuppance, damage its reputation, and adversely affect economic development and the recruiting of businesses.

Doubt it. This is pretty typical for most large cities. I know that’s not a good thing, but try visiting any of Charlotte’s peer cities or any larger cities and this kind of thing will happen on a similar basis to what we see in Charlotte. It’s a sad truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

Not to minimize this. but it could be worse. Look at Hong Kong right now...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Synopsis101 said:

Office space. :yawn: Taking it back to our roots.

Article said retail will still be a component. I'm guessing they are looking to make it more a mix of restaurants, try to attract retail stores like Apple or Urban Outfitters, and have some of the 3rd level locations shift to office suites.  Probably just a push to get rid of some of the clubs that are making it more challenging to lease the empty locations out. Apple isn't going to move in right now for example with the current tenant mix. 

The hotels are likely putting pressure on management as well. The Residence Inn, Omni, and Ritz get a good amount of negative reviews about the noise until 2AM on week nights. The same response more or less is copied by managers on those review on tripadvisor: "we sincerely apologize and are working with the Epicentre management and the city to reduce noise from clubs during the work week and mitigate the impact on our customers. we hope you will try us again once this is resolved."

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

Well that was quick:

Epicentre making changes

I wouldn't mind seeing an entire rebrand for the name as well. Epicentre name already has a negative connotation and I think a rebrand, along with the retail change, will be beneficial. 

Their only quote is from a the mayor pro tem Julie Eiselt, not the owner/landlord. I see no proof here that this is true. I’ve definitely heard the rumors. But this isn’t proof, this is bad reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Article said retail will still be a component. I'm guessing they are looking to make it more a mix of restaurants, try to attract retail stores like Apple or Urban Outfitters, and have some of the 3rd level locations shift to office suites.  Probably just a push to get rid of some of the clubs that are making it more challenging to lease the empty locations out. Apple isn't going to move in right now for example with the current tenant mix. 

The hotels are likely putting pressure on management as well. The Residence Inn, Omni, and Ritz get a good amount of negative reviews about the noise until 2AM on week nights. The same response more or less is copied by managers on those review on tripadvisor: "we sincerely apologize and are working with the Epicentre management and the city to reduce noise from clubs during the work week and mitigate the impact on our customers. we hope you will try us again once this is resolved."

You are right about those reviews just read some from the Residence Inn at the epicenter and most mentioned the noise even the ones giving fairly good reviews.  One businessman said stay away if you want to get some sleep for a meeting.  Ouch.   the reviews for the AC by Marriott are even worse since it is on the lower floors of the hotel tower. 

I think more non club related retail is a good thing instead of clubs.  No one is seriously talking about tearing down the Epicenter.  But repositioning it might be a good thing with less clubs, more retail and restaurants.  I do think in the future some might be rebuilt with even more hotels but only if it becomes more retail oriented.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for fun I looked for Afshin Ghazi online. He was the developer (?) of Epicentre and lost control of it in a blizzard of non-payment/bankrupcy/liens/lawsuits. The latest entry I find is for his company Connecticut Avenue, LLC, and property at 940 West Tyvola, vacant at Tyvola and South Tryon. The rezoning request I found was from 2016.  The Ghazi Company website is fractured and without updates since Epicentre was an active project (years).

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Just for fun I looked for Afshin Ghazi online. He was the developer (?) of Epicentre and lost control of it in a blizzard of non-payment/bankrupcy/liens/lawsuits. The latest entry I find is for his company Connecticut Avenue, LLC, and property at 940 West Tyvola, vacant at Tyvola and South Tryon. The rezoning request I found was from 2016.  The Ghazi Company website is fractured and without updates since Epicentre was an active project (years).

He somehow managed to throw together 100k to donate to Trump Inaugural. 

I do think it would be a shame if we lost things like the movie theater/bowling alley.  There is no other theater near town.  The safety aspect is hard to solve too much with the transit center nearby.  They have to have more security.  

Letting go of rooftop bars and clubs will help on the margin.  The Epicenter is surrounded by 4 hotels now.  I've stayed in the Omni on a couple of Thursdays and it is very loud,

• Like 3