210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

this would be a great new tenant for Epicenter with hotels all around and plenty of nearby office towers and somewhat of a destination tenant Sephora.  They are looking for more stores in Charlotte around 4000 sq ft.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/10/sephora-s-expansion-plans-in-2020-include.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this would be a great new tenant for Epicenter with hotels all around and plenty of nearby office towers and somewhat of a destination tenant Sephora.  They are looking for more stores in Charlotte around 4000 sq ft.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/10/sephora-s-expansion-plans-in-2020-include.html

But there’s one that just opened less than two miles away in SouthEnd

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the bump on this thread, but just came across a CA article talking about infrastructure improvements and such as the RNC approaches:

"Charles said. Around town, you’ll notice Charlotte Water testing fire hydrants, crews filling potholes and sidewalk cracks, and construction workers finishing minor projects on city-owned property."

Which made me think...could the Epicentre owners give a little face lift for the RNC?  I remember during the DNC,  many big media outlets used Enso, Vida, Suite etc for their production/HQ areas for the week.  I would assume RNC will as well and this could be a good time/opportunity for the owners to freshen up the Epicentre with the needed repairs/renovations.  Doesn't have to be big changes but some fresh paint and/or pressure washing, fixing the broken stairs, maybe some other renovations...some on here will say lipstick on a pig, but any improvements are important to this venue in preparation for the RNC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Pardon the bump on this thread, but just came across a CA article talking about infrastructure improvements and such as the RNC approaches:

"Charles said. Around town, you’ll notice Charlotte Water testing fire hydrants, crews filling potholes and sidewalk cracks, and construction workers finishing minor projects on city-owned property."

Which made me think...could the Epicentre owners give a little face lift for the RNC?  I remember during the DNC,  many big media outlets used Enso, Vida, Suite etc for their production/HQ areas for the week.  I would assume RNC will as well and this could be a good time/opportunity for the owners to freshen up the Epicentre with the needed repairs/renovations.  Doesn't have to be big changes but some fresh paint and/or pressure washing, fixing the broken stairs, maybe some other renovations...some on here will say lipstick on a pig, but any improvements are important to this venue in preparation for the RNC.

They might avoid that area. Streetcar construction through there might make it a nightmare for their broadcasting setup. 

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am sure any big changes to Epicenter will come after the RNC as I do believe news outlets will set up studios and so forth there just like at the DNC.  Someone should keep checking permits at that address and see if some upfitting is being down. 

I would  think they would have everything be portable and plug-and-play, but I didn't get a good look at the setups they had for the DNC.

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I would  think they would have everything be portable and plug-and-play, but I didn't get a good look at the setups they had for the DNC.

It was a little more complex and thorough. These were like full blown broadcasting setups and HQs for these media outlets for the week. MSNBC and CNN and outlets like that gutted out Enso and Vida and others. Buddy of mine said it took days removing all the restaurant tables and chairs to Epicentres storage down below. 

It will be smart for them to utilize these places again for the RNC, especially since there are some big vacancies Including Enso, bubble, golds gym Etc and would be less work to convert. 

• Like 3

I don’t know what to think, on one hand, I want epicenter to cater to everyone, and for there not to be metal detectors all over.

On the other hand, I saw a group of twenty or so men having some sort of fight club, taking turns fighting each other right outside of there today.... so yah, that isn’t going to attract families to downtown

• Like 2

About 100 pages ago we were thrilled to have a movie theater coming to downtown.  

At this stage, I hated SMG for their low class business model and only ever went when it was a firesale tickets or a specific movie I wanted to see.   And with the trouble Epicenter has had, walking to it during a tuesday evening is like walking into any number of other failed projects like it. 

I look forward to its shift from entertainment as other places leapfrogged it and it really has felt like the opposite somewhere I'd want to be in the last few years. 

I hope the new tenants bring more daytime and evening use of the space. 

• Like 1

Lol, you guys are really telling on yourselves  here. The code in these replies isn’t hidden very well. We get it. If it’s not majority white, or doesn’t cater to white people most of you don’t like it.  It scares you. That’s Charlotte. Always has been. Always will be.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Factually, crime is way up and it is the most violent spot in the city.     It has always been a diverse place, and CIAA has always had parties there, so the crime increase is not related to race in any way.    If I'd take a guess it is a shift in what drugs people are doing at the clubs, but it is very complex to know why people are being more violent now than before.  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article237668974.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I truly do feel sorry for the local business owners in uptown and Epicenter right now.  without the 100,000 office workers and tourists and locals visiting this place and other establishments many will go under.  Southend and other parts of the city seem normal with people on patios eating, walking about etc.  The contrast between Uptown and Southend is unbelievable right now like 2 different cities and times.

https://www.fox46.com/charlotte/epicentre-businesses-struggle-amid-pandemic/

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I truly do feel sorry for the local business owners in uptown and Epicenter right now.  without the 100,000 office workers and tourists and locals visiting this place and other establishments many will go under.  Southend and other parts of the city seem normal with people on patios eating, walking about etc.  The contrast between Uptown and Southend is unbelievable right now like 2 different cities and times.

https://www.fox46.com/charlotte/epicentre-businesses-struggle-amid-pandemic/

Me and some friends went down to South End the other week and it was almost just like being on a college campus, nothing but millennials and gen z! South End is just the happening place! And as a Gen Z, I love the entire atmosphere of south End, but I also love the atmosphere of uptown well!

• Like 2

I've heard Howl at the Moon will be moving and looking for a new location.  Howl was always a popular destination and was fun, live music.  But I think the timing of the Epicentre owners wanting to purge the Epicentre and the timing of this pandemic will speed up the process.  I can't see Suite, Whiskey, and Vault lasting much longer either.  With the vacant movie theater and gold gym spots...there are some sizable vacancies for retail including the long vacated enso.