210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I wish I could have heard the discussions among the original development team.  I suspect it would have gone something like this:

"I've got a great idea!  Let's do a public/private project like CityFair, only bigger!  That worked out well, amiright?  And look, there's some available land right beside the bus station!  What could possibly go wrong?"  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

You got all that from some eyes?

Not trying to be funny, but I'm not aware of anything new here other than foreclosure proceeding as previously reported.

Was there something else posted on IG or elsewhere?  Or was it implying basically, once foreclosure is complete a new owner can possibly turn it around with some additional investment?

jason thomas seemed to suggest something specific is imminent

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RANYC said:

jason thomas seemed to suggest something specific is imminent

Relocation of the Midnight Diner?

I kid, but I wonder:  If, as southernnorthcarolina suggests, that the problems with Epicenter are due to the proximity to the bus terminal, well isn't the bus terminal land about to be redeveloped into something else?  If so, couldn't that open the door to bringing back the Epicenter?  

35 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Relocation of the Midnight Diner?

I kid, but I wonder:  If, as southernnorthcarolina suggests, that the problems with Epicenter are due to the proximity to the bus terminal, well isn't the bus terminal land about to be redeveloped into something else?  If so, couldn't that open the door to bringing back the Epicenter?  

Midnight Diner is moving across from the arena. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

You got all that from some eyes?

Not trying to be funny, but I'm not aware of anything new here other than foreclosure proceeding as previously reported.

Was there something else posted on IG or elsewhere?  Or was it implying basically, once foreclosure is complete a new owner can possibly turn it around with some additional investment?

No had no insight whatsoever for the eyeballs lol. From the looks of it, the news is just foreclosure related but my post was mainly about post foreclosure and the potential to bring this back to life. It’s a crucial part of Uptown (entertainment wise) and it needs to be revived. It’s not going anywhere with two hotels attached so let’s make this an attraction again. 

I know the epicentre isn’t everyone’s cup of tea including Jasons but a thriving epicentre would be good for uptown. I don’t have time to go back to the beginning of this thread but I can imagine a project like this first being announced got everyone’s blood flowing in the right places lol. Direct connection to the light rail, in proximity to 5+ hotels within a block or so including the ritz. Close to the arena. Close to the square. There’s a lot of pros to this site initially. Now, I have always wondered if the original high end condo tower would have been built, if we would have seen a completely different tenant mix then the club heavy tenants we saw previously. Maybe more soft good retail, who knows. 

I just hope new owners can believe in the revival and can renovate, rebrand, and strategically/thoughtfully attract the right tenant mixture to make this place busy again. 

• Like 3

A couple times now, I've seen articles mention Epicenter with 50 tenant spaces and a 70% vacancy rate.

Is it standard for vacancy percentages to be quoted based on usable square footage not occupied or leased, or are these percentages ever given based on # of spaces not occupied/leased?  Assume square footage metric, but double-checking.

• Like 1

Here is a link to Ely Portillo's article in Charlotte Magazine about what happened to the Epicentre, what is happening now, and what will come next:

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-epicentre/

It is a really good read if you have any questions about what is in the future for this site.  It could be refurbished,  reimagined, or torn to the ground.   It will be up to whoever ends up buying it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Torn to the ground is not an option, as both hotels are are condo ownership and separately owned, and are guaranteed a solid perch to sit upon :)

Any smaller buildings on site could be demolished and have something taller built. Of course the foundation would need to be reinforced.

Edit: i read the article previously posted and it may be too cost prohibitive for my suggestion.

Edited by norm21499

30 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Any smaller buildings on site could be demolished and have something taller built. Of course the foundation would need to be reinforced.

Edit: i read the article previously posted and it may be too cost prohibitive for my suggestion.

Is it possible to tear down the buildings where Vida and Moes were? 

13 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

The elephant-in-the-room for Epicentre (and uptown in general) is the CTC in its current state/condition. I imagine that has been a major cause for some of the decline of the area. I would bet once that is redeveloped it would go a long way in making any future owner of the Epicentre more willing to spend the money to make Epicentre much more viable. It really is in a good location aside from the aforementioned proximity to the CTC.

100% agree. I'm in the minority obviously but I think Epicentre can be a great place with the right ownership/tenants.  CTC really negatively impacted it.

• Thanks 1

I don't believe Eli's article attributes any of the decline to the CTC or Epicenter's proximity to the CTC.  I tend to agree.

I most agreed with the article's point about Epicenter's horrible design, walled off from the surrounding streetscape like some sort of urban barrack.  When I arrived in Charlotte from NYC in late 2018, I knew nothing about security issues or its adjacency to CTC, and knew I wouldn't return because the design felt corny and suburban-decrepit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Torn to the ground is not an option, as both hotels are are condo ownership and separately owned, and are guaranteed a solid perch to sit upon :)

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/03/15/epicentre-speculation.html

This bizjournal article quotes Noah Lazes, whose ARK Group owns Music Factory,  as saying the likeliest scenario is leveling the 4-story complex for a high-rise.  Is there a part of Epicenter that can be leveled without interfering with the hotels?