210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Pretty sure the issue was more the tenants than the actual layout itself…nooks and crannies are one thing that makes urban places “whimsical” and certainly I’ve been been there after it’s fall never I don’t think in it’s prime (Mar 2019) but it definitely felt worth exploring even at that time. In terms of “opening outward” I can see that less of an issue with the layout and more the facade. Something that could be renovated to include more space facing the street instead of what really is just dead zones…

• Like 3

Target wouldn't go there when they already have the midtown store, but a Nordstrom Rack might be a decent tenant, honestly. They're big enough to take up one of the bigger spaces there, it's high-end enough that they could sell to the uptown crowd if they got the right merchandise mix in there, and the closest one is in Pineville. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Target wouldn't go there when they already have the midtown store, but a Nordstrom Rack might be a decent tenant, honestly. They're big enough to take up one of the bigger spaces there, it's high-end enough that they could sell to the uptown crowd if they got the right merchandise mix in there, and the closest one is in Pineville. 

Ding ding ding jackpot - in complete agreement.  I’d go there more often but just too long a drive for me, and while the light rail goes down there, I don’t want to cross the expansive pedestrian death trap that is south blvd.  Rack at QCQ could be a real winner.  

Id actually go to a redone QCQ over South Park mall if they could curate the urban version of a selection of those stores, but I recall someone posting here that Simon restricts where these stores can set up in the region, no?  But an app-driven streetcar ride to QCQ for some shopping could be an enjoyable outing, assuming I don’t have to fear getting robbed on my return home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The ever elusive retail in uptown that will not come to fruition for a very long time, if ever. 

I’d look to Atlanta as to a benchmark of what Charlotte likely would support. Atlanta is arguably - development/build-out - very close to what the future of urban Charlotte likely will look like, IMO.

0774D184-94DE-43B2-917B-E830FD0C7DFD.thumb.jpeg.6f48eebf855fb699bc9336b7144d4c1f.jpeg

There’s really not many people who live convenient to Epicenter to support neighborhood traffic. For a lot of uptown residents even, it’s probably faster and more convenient to just go to Midtown (or a mini SouthEnd) Target. Maybe if there was a mass of retail and restaurants along College, Brevard etc it could naturally draw maybe more. But there’s likely just not a lot of people that would prefer to walk there over drive to midtown. 

I mean. For people living along Brooklyn f/k/a Stonewall, or around Romare park, the homes in 1st ward, etc. it seems like it’s faster to drive to Midtown Target in addition to loading up the car, further errands. A smaller urban Target in SouthEnd seems like it could attract less overlapping customers than an epicenter one. 

These other stores such as Nordstrom Rack, etc. I’m not in the retail industry, but it seems like you could get (1) much cheaper real estate in a shopping center that has complimentary retailers beside you (2) larger catchment of Charlotteans who wouldn’t want to drive to epicenter Charlotte for Nordstrom Rack. 

Uptown most likely just isn’t going to have anything beyond what Atlanta has in downtown. SouthEnd, I think you’ll see that type of retail. 

That’s just my opinion after a longgg time of waiting for retail. And being disappointed a many of time. Particularly when Ivey’s was being renovated for retail and it was all but certain it was going to be an urban outfitters but I guess than was an UP myth. Many times retail just hasn’t panned out. So. I’m a little pessimistic on those odds of an H&M, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

horrible brochure.  poorly written - grammatical errors.  I'll need more proof to be convinced that epicenter is not just some distressed & discarded asset with no real capital commitments behind its improvement.  Those renderings are part of a narrative, but won't be followed with actual construction anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, RANYC said:

horrible brochure.  poorly written - grammatical errors.  I'll need more proof to be convinced that epicenter is not just some distressed & discarded asset with no real capital commitments behind its improvement.  Those renderings are part of a narrative, but won't be followed with actual construction anytime soon.

I think this is correct.

The lender is a trust that doesn't have any capital.  The loan servicer has limited capital, and will look to reimburse themselves from the proceeds whenever the property is eventually sold.  The investor directing the trust has to improve any expenditures, and since ultimately they will bear any losses, are going to have to be convinced any money spent will have a positive return on value.

The way this debt was placed, doesn't allow for easy management in foreclosure situations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/20/2022 at 12:52 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Epicenter is connected to the Light Rail, Streetcar, Bus Hub, oversky mall with direct access to Bank of America Corp. HQ, close to Truist Bank HQ, next to NBA arena, a block away from the main Trade/Tryon Sq. There are literally 2 (technically 3) hotels on it…

Location, developments, jobs, skyscraper, mass transit… what is the problem… (and no, it’s not the bus riders.) 

Reality in Charlotte..... Mass transit isn't necessarily a plus for a night out on the town. It isn't a detractor.... But it also isn't enough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lets hear your ideas since many were confused by my residential aspect.  Something has to be done here and it is not just repositioned.   I think an infusion of residential would be good.  The entire place can not be torn down unless you buy out the hotels on the property as this is a huge commercial condo development. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, L.A.native said:

What about something indoors for all ages? Like an escape room. Or maybe even a mini outdoor Waterpark? And while we're at it we may as well find somewhere on that property to build a ferris wheel (it seems like all the "world class" cities have one) 😉.

Anything but apartments. 

What about a Bowling Alley and a Movie Theater? Let's throw in a retro Diner while we're at it! But I digress, a splash-pad would probably be pretty good here, and I agree: F apartments. They had plans to build condos above it at one point but built a hotel instead.

Edited by lit
  • Like 2