210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Impressive show of construction equipment on 4th St today. They had most lanes closed on the street to accomidate a huge red mobile crane that is erecting the permanent blue crane on 4th St. I assume this will be used primarily for the construction of aloft Hotel.

The EpiCentre site now has 3 active cranes in 1 city block.

This building will be halfway up before people stop wondering if it is going to be built! Bring on the cranes and the construction! :)

I don't know why, but I'm one of those people, for some reason I just doubt this project. I'm easily more optimistic about The Vue and they haven't turned one shovel of dirt.

Maybe it's because of how long it took for the old Convention Center to go away, I don't know.

Does anyone know if Aloft will have a restaurant or bar that isn't part of Epicentre? Boutique hotel bars are something I personally would really like downtown and would certainly be a guaranteed patron!

good question... hotel bars are very appealing to me as well. they are usually cozier and not as loud as your typical bar. not to mention the mysterious allure of meeting transients. i also used to love having drinks @ airport bars and lounges before 9/11.

knowing this is an aloft hotel... i bet the bar they will (might) have - will be pretty cool. this project just might have something that interests me... i'm not a fan of the "raving brands" portfolio.

Edited by cinco

There have been a few posted on this, and the predecessor thread. You also Mobuchu's pictures of the model. As you can see, it is just a basic building.

^^^But I still like giving previews...

Actually it opens to those on their "mailing list" tomorrow and the public on friday. They did say that they will be using the green color, someone else will have to elaborate on that, I was busy taking these.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Crown from the front:

large.jpg

Crown from the back:

large.jpg

Model looks great

:yahoo:

Note that once color is added, it will be a little bit more interesting, and much better than the [best Western/Sheraton 4Pts/Whatever it is now] hotel by the courthouse.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/...alofthotels_com

But also keep in mind that Aloft is the basically intended to be a hip version of Sheraton Four Points. It is the cheaper, suburban version of the W. We are, I think, the only city getting one downtown. But given the pricepoint, it is probably a good thing we'll get one downtown, for some of the price-sensitive visitors to the city.

But still, this isn't upscale, so you have a basic design, and HVAC in the vents below the windows.

Wow that is what aloft will look like???

Looks like the hotels that sit near the Cameron Brown building~~not attractive at all.

Is this design acceptable to you folks? I find it distinctly boring and uninspired.

I think it is just a "high-end place holder," meaning that the building will be in this shape but the materials on the outside will look dramatically different than what you see now (which is nothing). That certainly isn't our finished product (at least I hope so).

After walking by a huge hole every morning for a year, it's kind of impressive to see stuff accumulating and rising up at the site. There is a LOT of mass being installed.

Yes, its is. I would visit employees in Charlotte Plaza from time to time and wished I was one of the tenants sitting in Charlotte Plaza with window view to the Epicenter. The webcam is fine and all, but you can feel and see more happening seeing it live.

Yes, its is. I would visit employees in Charlotte Plaza from time to time and wished I was one of the tenants sitting in Charlotte Plaza with window view to the Epicenter. The webcam is fine and all, but you can feel and see more happening seeing it live.

Go have a cocktail at Bentleys in the Charlotte Plaza -- part of the bar overlooks the project and you are right, it is a great view.

Can someone tell me why they are building a wood frame strcuture where aLoft will go. It does't seem like they would need these even for concrete forms since I thought it would be a steel frame. Also, I just looked at the webcam and there is a ton of material on the top level of the project. This really is a massive project.

For a good view of the project, try getting a dentists' appointment at Kalons and Glidewell. Granted, the sacrifice might not be worth the sweet view :) but their office looks directly over the project. I was able to watch the cranes move stuff around while I waited for a filling :)

Edited by Justadude