210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Agreed...the Virgin on Boston's Newbury St. just closed, and a Best Buy will be taking it's place even though there already one a mile away.....CD stores are doomed.

I expect we will see a bookstore in another development downtown, so I'm not worried if that's not here.

EpiCentre really needs to be about drawing high-volumes of middle-class people. It has an achillies heel of being located next to the bus terminal, and the potential for loitering will ruin the center if the public image becomes that it is a high-crime area and overrun with roaming youths.

I

Agreed...the Virgin on Boston's Newbury St. just closed, and a Best Buy will be taking it's place even though there already one a mile away.....CD stores are doomed.

High overhead CD stores are pretty doomed. That Virgin was doomed as Tower Records years ago. But Newbury Comix does well just around the corner. There is a market, but there needs to be a ceiling. People will always want entertainment product, and no better place to have it than in an entertainment oriented retail development. (Maybe a Borders Books/Music is the answer). I don't know if it will work, I'm not much of a "consumer," but there will always be place for people to spend their money.

i am sorry to beat this to death, but Smellycat said on the previous page about the hotel being operated by W as their new "loft style" hotel W Loft. Is that the same as aloft or is W actually building their luxury brand hotel?

I am happy with all the aspects with respect to Epicenter. However, I am still HIGHLY doubtful about the tower. I used to be very confident, but as time marches on, I have heard more and more rumors about how this portion of the project might be doomed. I guess I will believe it when I see it. I have my doubts that a firm with NO experience in high rise constructiion can manage to pull off a 50 story high rise in 12-18 months time (even if it is a box).

A2

I am happy with all the aspects with respect to Epicenter. However, I am still HIGHLY doubtful about the tower. I used to be very confident, but as time marches on, I have heard more and more rumors about how this portion of the project might be doomed. I guess I will believe it when I see it. I have my doubts that a firm with NO experience in high rise constructiion can manage to pull off a 50 story high rise in 12-18 months time (even if it is a box).

A2

Well consider how quickly Avenue's condo-only section is going up- 1 floor every 6 days. Assuming TTT can be built on the same type schedule, the first five floors will be handled by the Epicenter retail section leaving 48ish floors to be built. 2 floors are already built/under construction. Let's say that 48 floors at 6 days each is 41 weeks, assuming fit and finish will take a month and a half, we're up to 48 weeks, or 11 months, giving the epicenter portion another seven months to be finished before starting on the condo tower portion. I'm aware that construction does not work in this fashion, but right now it is adding up to me.

I have to agree with the general idea that the lower floors of the tower will be opened before the penthouse levels are finished, giving even more time for construction delays.

Any idea if Lucky Strike will still be the vendor running the bowling alley? They have such a cool urban chic flair to their operations.

Not sure if it will be Lucky Strike, but he did say that this would not be your typical bowling alley, so I don't think you'll see Fred and Barney chugging beers there on their Monday bowling night. I've never been to a Lucky Strike, but I would assume the EpiCentre bowling alley will be something like Bowlmor Lanes in NYC (www.bowlmor.com), which is sort of like disco bowling with neon lights and pins and loud music, either 70s or 80s theme depending on the night. Hopefully, it will also have a martini bar.

UP should sponsor your jetpack, Mo. It seems like you are hovering around the site!

By the way, the openings in the ground floor at the bottom center of this photo is the street retail on Trade. It appears to be fairly small, but I think that would be enough for little coffee bar or something.

U/L, did Ghazi happen to say what would go there?

Is 210 (condos) the portion from Mobuchu's pics with the steel skeleton? I guess the Epicenter would be the concrete portion, right?

Everything you see on site now is part of Ghazi's EpiCentre. The 210 Condos will be built on top of the 6 story EpiCentre building closest to the rail tracks. Construction on the actual tower is due to start later this year and it will be built by Flaherty & Collins. Flaherty actually purchased the air rights above the EpiCentre building from Ghazi.

CBS Radio will be opening a satellite studio at EpiCentre. They will have a street level studio space, but unfortunately they will not move any regualar scheduled programs to the location, it will be for special event programming only. CBS Radio operates the old Clear Channel stations.

http://www.charlotte.com/295/story/51295.html