210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I happen to stumble on The Small Business Times out of Milwaukee. It's a business journal not unlike the one in our own city. There was an article about Afsin Ghazi and his 401 West Wisconsin proposal in Milwaukee's downtown. I won't bother summarizing it so here's the link.

http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-bi...owntown-project

Anyway, the article had a link to Ghazi's testimony before the Milwaukee Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee on video from their Channel 25.

In his testimony, he made a reference to an Urban Planet planet report that says 5% of the MSA would love to get back to the core of downtown if there was the right product, or something like that. I wonder if he was talking about us? If so, I wonder how often he reads the threads if he does.

• 2 weeks later...

The epicentre structrue is nearly complete. The hotel part is about ready to go onto the smaller floorplates for the tower, which will make it rise faster. The steel building along trade was being finished up today on the corner, and framing is moving along. The 210 base is moving rapidly as well, nearly finished. The movie theatre is going up a floor as we speak. The last 2 days they've been working non-stop. Pouring at night last night and tonight, and likely tomorrow night if weather permits.

I guess they will prob. reach their summer deadline at this pace.

... land usage wise - i'm kinda excited about this project, but, 3 acres of an EFIS clad complex is depressing. maybe i'm wrong and ghazi will change the way he usually clads structures.

i'm not exactly sure when the tower portion will begin... hopefully soon, to offset what i assume will be a uninspiring base design.

1st post and i will have to show facts to disagree with you. Actually at the First Ward Neighbors meeting Ghazi said that the complex would be clad in stone and masonry. The only EFIS will be on the top 10 floors of the hotel. Ghazi is going for a European Feel to the complex, and will actually include cobblestone between each of the buildings. With towers on the line in University City, Southpark, one on west morehead, and the possibility of spirit square, I doubt he is going to leave any room for disapointment, he has a lot of credibility to gain.

Edited by Guest

1st post and i will have to show facts to disagree with you. Actually at the First Ward Neighbors meeting Ghazi said that the complex would be clad in stone and masonry. The only EFIS will be on the top 10 floors of the hotel. Ghazi is going for a European Feel to the complex, and will actually include cobblestone between each of the buildings. With towers on the line in University City, Southpark, one on west morehead, and the possibility of spirit square, I doubt he is going to leave any room for disapointment, he has a lot of credibility to gain.

Any cladding other than EFIS would be pleasing, and I'm glad to hear he is going with stone and masonry for the majority of the project.

There is a really nice new hotel open on Franklin Street here in Chapel Hill that is clad in EFIS. It's pathetic that such a "luxurious" hotel would be clad in EFIS. It looks like real stucco, however when I tapped on it, it sounded hollow. I think I could punch a hole through it.

What kind of concerns are there if Epicenter opens, and they are building 210 fifty stories above the pedestrians and shoppers?

I would assume none. Both The Avenue and the Wachovia project are being done right above pedestrians heads and no incidents. In an Urban environment buildings have to be built in tight spots with people all around. This project will probably open as planned (Epicenter and the Hotel) and then work will just continue on 210 trade.

A2

Are they going to build the tower part immediately along with this development or is the tower to come at a later date? I don't remember what was decided. It would be nice if they built everything at once! I can't wait for this complex to be completed.

210 Trade tower will start as soon as the retail/office base topped out to level 5. Ghazi planned to have to achieved that September last year but due to unrealistic scheduling, miscues and city permit problems, they are way behind. The tower is way over budget, but should be done VEing by the time they are ready for construction.

Personally I think the complex will look odd because the tower is ultra modern and the rest of the deal is going to be fake European style. It can be done nicely (look at Europe), but will not happen here. The 2 developers barely talk to each other.

Thanks for the info and welcome to UP.

There's been alot of speculation on here that the tower would be value engineered to death, looks like that will come true. Its too bad, because I kinda liked the modern look of the original 210 rendering with the "beams" exposed at the top. Personally, I'm hoping most the VEing will happen on the interior, although I'm sure the buyers think differently.

Personally, I'm hoping most the VEing will happen on the interior, although I'm sure the buyers think differently.

This is what I posted would happen last year. It has too...there is no way to strip down the exterior enough to make things works.

Please pardon my ignorance on this subject, but can anyone explain (or point me in the right direction) the flat rectangular shapes that seem to be built into the floors of this project. They are visible on the eastern side of the hotel base. From what I have seen on the webcam, the shapes are built and then concrete poured over them? I assume they are a reinforcement, but I can't seem to find a good definition online. Just curious if anyone knows. :dontknow:

To clarify, here's an image:

Construction.jpg

Edited by CLTNative