210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I thought they were doing a reaching the sky bash or soemthing with cocktails and stuff where they are just waiting for like the 18th which I think was the date of the party for th residents to watch the first floor of the condo being poured.

I was curious how this was going to work. This is the condo portion though. Not the hotel (Aloft).

Edited by stateman99

To my knowledge they are starting the first floors of the hotel the same time as the condo, they are both going to be poured concrete.

Yeah, that is what I was hearing, but i'm having a hard time getting a straight answer out of the person I was asking.

Anyway, I can't wait for both of these to start.

I am starting to become intimidated by the 4th street side of this building. It seems that with exception of the lobby for Aloft there will be nothing but a huge monolithic structure lining 4th street. The building has no entrance into the plaza from forth street either, which is tragic, people have to walk almost literally around the block to get in. The other thing I worry about is sunlight, there only seems to be a couple locations in this structure that will receive much direct sunlight. This coming Thursday I am touring the building during work hours, so I will try to snap pictures and ask questions, if I am allowed. What does everyone think about these problems I have highlighted here?

Sunlight could certainly be a problem with such a dense area. It's basically surrounded by high rises on all sides.

I think the main problem for this project once completed will be traffic. I could see this block going into grid-lock during a basketball game or concert.

However, some may see this as a good problem to have.

I have no argument on your core point, but it will at least have access the plaza by stairs, rather than no access.

I personally can't understand why the parking level didn't start a level lower, to allow for better uses on 4th and Trade streets. But I know that this was a tight project overall, and was very complex, and the end result is far better than other plans for the block, especially the ones that would reuse the old civic center.

It doesn't detract, though, from the criticism. This project really doesn't add much to Trade, and it sure takes away from 4th.

I think the main problem for this project once completed will be traffic. I could see this block going into grid-lock during a basketball game or concert.

However, some may see this as a good problem to have.

If you are driving on College on a Friday or Saturday night it is already grid lock even when there is nothing going on at the Arena. However Trade and 4th arn't that bad in comparison to College. With the traffic jams on College on Friday and Saturday nights...and with the primary pedestrian entrance to Epicentre on College St I would not be surprised to see masses of people crossing the street midblock...going in between all the stopped cars.

If you are driving on College on a Friday or Saturday night it is already grid lock even when there is nothing going on at the Arena. However Trade and 4th arn't that bad in comparison to College. With the traffic jams on College on Friday and Saturday nights...and with the primary pedestrian entrance to Epicentre on College St I would not be surprised to see masses of people crossing the street midblock...going in between all the stopped cars.

^ Just like a real city :thumbsup:

I do agree that 4th is horrific...I can't identify the stairs from the street into the project....is it really going to have access?

I do agree that 4th is horrific...I can't identify the stairs from the street into the project....is it really going to have access?

If the model is accurate, then there's only 1 small set of stairs mid block. 4th is pretty bad...

61888405.jpg

Edited by Mobuchu

Speaking that the 4th street side of epicenter is currently a 4 story block long edifice and there is no 45 degree angle for an entrance, I don't this the model is correct. Close observation of the building shows that it is just a solid building all the way across, I honestly don't see where an entrance would be on the actual building. If there is indeed no entrance, I could see 4th being an extremely unfriendly street. College Street however will make up for the activity, and I think it will be very bigcityesque and trade street will be better than everyone thinks, as it will be a key street for LYNX riders.

Also, anybody know what the delay is for on aloft?

can someone tell me again what happens to the cranes when the building goes vertical around it. I ask this because the third crane, the lowest one that was working on the retail portion along College seems to just sit there now and is surrounded by a steel cage and about 5-6 floors of underground parking.

Do the permits say if they will continue the same concrete construction method for the rest of aloft that they used on the Epicentre office section they've been building up until now?

Just curious (but maybe I've missed it if that was expressed already).

I was driving by the Epicentre today and noticed that they're applying some of the skin in the inner courtyard area. It looked to me like it was a sandstone facade, however I could be wrong.

I think I saw the same thing as you did today. Not on the courtyard, but the closest structure of Epicenter at the Ritz where it faces out to the courtyard, I noticed them applying some interesting details to the structure. They were painting the steel, and then using what you said, a sandstone type of material as accent pieces. Wish I had a camera, looked really cool.