210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Now the advertisement is on the round jumbotron. Speaking of the jumbo-tron, I love the rounded one, but the other is just plain cheesy. If they just added another screen next to it it would look better. Hopefully that intersection will have more jumbtron-type screens, with the Ritz-Carlton/BofA towers and the Founders Hall renovation. It would provide a nice Times Square type feel, especially if Epicenter is going to attract people.

On the Aloft side of the project, towards 210 trade, is that cutout where the movie theater is going? Is there a movie theater going there, or a bowling alley?

Just walked by the site, I am hoping the AT&T ad is just temporary because I would hate for this corner to have a static image. A jumbotron that scrolled ad's and events for Uptown would be much better and add that Times Square theme they are looking for. They are also pouring the sidewalk along Trade Street today.

On the Aloft side of the project, towards 210 trade, is that cutout where the movie theater is going? Is there a movie theater going there, or a bowling alley?

The movie theater is at the bottom of the Amenities Deck / Condo Tower where all of the white is on the web cam. You will see the yellow walls right now is for aLoft, and looking to the right, you will see walls with no windows, that's the movie theater. You can actually see inside of the theater right now if you ride the LRT. Each of those stories proportionally is about two "regular" stories, or approx 20 feet in heigh for the theater.

Regarding the parking garage. Last night I had made a comment when walking by about it because it was the first time I could see inside with lights on and it looks much more complete then the rest of the project. In fact last night they were putting in the concrete for the road to get in and out of the garage. The garage itself appeared to already have the parking stripes already painted and was very bright.

Regarding the banner, I don't think it's going to be an advertisement, I think that's a temporary thing until they assemble the screen, although I don't know. They may be waiting for some of the dust to settle or for the complex screen to be assembled, amonst other things. Last night, they did have the white bracket up, similar to a braket for your flat panel screen tv for the wall. I don't think they would have gone through that trouble just for a single ad, and it looks right now extremely outdated and tacky. I'd expect that to change in the next few weeks though, or maybe when they start letting in the vendors.

Edited by Andyc545

I hate to do this to you guys, but as a person who has worked on and designed billboards, I gotta tell you guys that I'm pretty sure its just a billboard. When I drove by the other day it had a couple sets of wiring (for lighting) and ribs that are pretty consistent with billboard construction. I hope I am wrong, because I already thought the curved nature of it looked quite hokey and awful. However I do think this is a good step in the right direction to give charlotte a more big city feel, keep in mind this is supposed to be like charlottes time square, what does time square have, advertising.

Edited by Guest

I hate to do this to you guys, but as a person who has worked on and designed billboards, I gotta tell you guys that I'm pretty sure its just a billboard. When I drove by the other day it had a couple sets of wiring (for lighting) and ribs that are pretty consistent with billboard construction. I hope I am wrong, because I already thought the curved nature of it looked quite hokey and awful. However I do think this is a good step in the right direction to give charlotte a more big city feel, keep in mind this is supposed to be like charlottes time square, what does time square have, advertising.

It has advertising, but not advertising reminiscent of the Stone Age. Times Square has changed to neon and computerized animation and screens as times have changed, and I would be disappointed if all of that "big statement" that Epicenter Erected on the top for the world to see was only an old fashioned billboard. Even a lot of the billboards on our highways are already being replaced by more techie advertisement methods. I would have expected more from this.

It has advertising, but not advertising reminiscent of the Stone Age. Times Square has changed to neon and computerized animation and screens as times have changed, and I would be disappointed if all of that "big statement" that Epicenter Erected on the top for the world to see was only an old fashioned billboard. Even a lot of the billboards on our highways are already being replaced by more techie advertisement methods. I would have expected more from this.

I don't know if this applies, however, this was the whole issue with the number of billboards Adams Outdoor, Gannett, etc., could convert to digital in the Charlotte metro area. I do not see why this wouldn't apply -- there are only so many "permits" for electronic ones, and if a company chooses to start a brand-new electronic one, they have to sacrifice a traditional one elsewhere.

I know City Council was taking up this issue; it was deferred but I have not heard anything more on this...

Here's the link to the council minutes:

Charmeck.org City Council Minutes PDF

The rest of the condo floor has been poured and there's quite a few workers on site. It looks like the tower will finally get moving.

Slowly but surely this tower is coming along... I feel like this is Park, part II. If they could only go as fast as ALoft is coming along. But I guess we'll take what they give us. Better than the site sitting idle. Has anyone heard of more definitive opening dates for the retail/restaurants in EpiCentre? I thought I remember some places were opening in the January time frame.

Edited by dbull75

^haha, maybe this week.

I also noticed that the parking garage was open last night. They were directing traffic in from 4th street for whatever event was going on at the arena. Did this just start this week?

Yes- I think this is the first week that they allowed public parking in it. I know last week it was still for only tenants and other people associated with the project.

It did say tenants could start moving in January, however I heard most recently that it got a few weeks delayed and the first would be late January at the earliest, else February. It appeared from seeing it yesterday that they still have a lot of work to do to make it "pedestrian safe" on the outside.

Saw some vertical movement on this project this morning ... was walking down Trade Street on the way to work and the tower crane was setting a rebar cage for a column. It seems like at some point this project has to really kick it into high gear or the developer will burn through tons of cash just having the construction guys mobilized.

There have been several false alarms in the past that we are to the point of quickening the pace, but hopefully this is something more ...

Saw some vertical movement on this project this morning ... was walking down Trade Street on the way to work and the tower crane was setting a rebar cage for a column. It seems like at some point this project has to really kick it into high gear or the developer will burn through tons of cash just having the construction guys mobilized.

There have been several false alarms in the past that we are to the point of quickening the pace, but hopefully this is something more ...

As sad as I am, I've been looking at the webcam everyday for the last week :) They've had workers on site every day and appear to be picking things up. They've started on a new floor. This is the most consistent activity I've noticed in months.

I had no idea Aloft was that far along in construction. How many stories will Aloft be?

15 stories I believe, or has it gone up since? With that said, they should be topped out within 2 months (5 more floors at about a week and a half a piece)

Edited by Andyc545

15 stories I believe, or has it gone up since? With that said, they should be topped out within 2 months (5 more floors at about a week and a half a piece)

I assumed it was 15 stories ON TOP of the base. Not 15 stories INCLUDING the base. Anyone clarify? If I am correct, they are only on the 5th floor, not 10th.

The rendering posted a couple of pages back shows 14 total occupied floors, and a mechanical floor....so this thing is about 2/3 of the way up...still, it has good presence.

That rendering makes it look like the middle section of Epicenter will be in perpetual shade between Aloft and 210 Trade. Figure in the Ritz and BoA (current and new tower), Omni and Bank of America Plaza... The whole thing might be in perpetual shade. Epicenter is the low man on the block. However, that will make College Street look incredibly dense and filled, especially at night with all the lights on and people out.