210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I appologize in advance if the following information is old news but last I heard it was still a cloud.

Officially: the movie theater that will be opening at the EpiCentre will be the Muvico brand?. I got confirmation from a reliable source and noticed their website backs it up on their listings of locations "Charlotte, NC (Opening 2008)". Excited about this brand coming to the EpiCentre- they look to differentiate themselves from others enough at the same time providing a great experience for watching a movie. I predict this movie theater is going to be always packed, as it is a relatively small theater coming to a movie-theaterless uptown where this type of entertainment is in high demand.

WOW! And we are getting ours before Atlanta or Philadelphia..... :thumbsup:

I had thought that we only thought that because it showed up in the renderings. The threads on this topic are epic, so I'm not sure I could find it if I tried, but I had been under the impression that the bowling alley was just going to be locally operated to be like a Lucky Strike or a more hip and trendy kind of place.

Personally, I am indifferent on who operates it and what the brand is as long as it is not a stale inside. I'm not that much for bowling, but I think that it is a great centerpiece for having a social night out with friends that isn't purely just eating and drinking. It is just another thing to do in a suite of 'things to do' that helps make uptown more liveable and visitable.

I had thought that we only thought that because it showed up in the renderings. The threads on this topic are epic, so I'm not sure I could find it if I tried, but I had been under the impression that the bowling alley was just going to be locally operated to be like a Lucky Strike or a more hip and trendy kind of place.

Personally, I am indifferent on who operates it and what the brand is as long as it is not a stale inside. I'm not that much for bowling, but I think that it is a great centerpiece for having a social night out with friends that isn't purely just eating and drinking. It is just another thing to do in a suite of 'things to do' that helps make uptown more liveable and visitable.

I just hope you won't have to bowl in a fog of smoke that seems to be a staple in most bowling alleys. :dontknow:

:( Just what I was afraid of...the average joe being priced out of going downtown.

Actually, I don't believe they're priced that much more, if any, above most other theater chains. There used to be one in Orlando that I went to. I don't remember being bowled over by the ticket prices. And after just checking different locations/prices at their website, prices seem to be in line with the city/market. $9.25 in West Palm Beach, $9 in Tampa, $8 in Memphis. Seeing as how most theaters in Charlotte are $8 - $9 (frickin' AMC is $9! on the w-ends), I would guess Muvico will end up being $9 - $9.50, maybe $10. So, a bit more than the norm, but certainly not $15 a ticket, or enough to "out price" the average theater-goer.

I must say that I'm really excited about both of these venues opening up. Going to the movies is almost like a chore to me with having to drive there, spend alot of money on popcorn and drinks, and then drive home. But having it as part of a night out on the town with a more upscale vibe sounds so much more appealing. Being able to skip the popcorn and eat dinner only a block away before, and have a drink after. I guess it makes going to the movies more spontaneous, rather then a destination...

Same goes for bowling. I was in a league at Park lanes a couple years ago because I remebered how much I enjoyed it when I was younger. It just wasn't the same though, too competetive and serious. Again, bowling is like a destination as well, not a small part of a night out. The best times I had bowling is when they would do the "rock and bowl" nights with the music loud, and the neon and strobe lights going. Maybe its not for everyone, but it was more like a big party then a competetive game amongst friends. I hope the new place has something like this on the weekends...

It looks like they will soon be pouring the 2nd or is that 3rd floor of the 210 trade tower. Does anyone, with more construction knowledge than me, know if the pace will eventually pick up once they hit a certain floor number? At the current rate, it'll be 2015 by the time this thing is done...

Forgot to add this earlier today... While on the light rail in route to the Bobcats game last night, I was flipping through a Creative Loafing magazine. There was an ad for Whiskey River (Dale Jr's new place) that said "opening soon." There is also a web site now up, but not much to it yet.

http://whiskyrivercharlotte.com/

^Yep. The bus is 2.60 for a round trip though. And all of them have a stop 1 block away. I find it amusing that they have a guy out there waving a flag to get people to go in there. Seems like it would have the opposite effect.

Yeh, it kinda reminds me of the barkers at the fair waving you over to play that game you know will lose...so you keep on going.

great pics, looks like only 3 more floorplates to go on Aloft (10 stories right?). Does anyone know if there is signage planned for the big stretch of no windows on 4th street where the movie theatre walls are?

1.Actually there is a "transition" floor that is part of the epicenter project that appears to start aloft but it doesn't. In the second picture you can see the floor with only one hole cut out, Thats the floor I am referring to, it is an office level. So we have 5 floor plates done and 5 to go.

2.The most recent update I've seen shows the blank wall covered in a glass like skin, with giant movie posters/Ads/ signage for the businesses located there.

Edited by Guest