210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I think it's been said many times on here that Charlotte cannot support a Hard Rock, nor do many want one. A Hard Rock needs to be in a big tourist destination and Charlotte is not there yet.

Didn't they just add one in Pittsburgh in the past two years?

edit: I corrected the spelling of Pittsburg(h)

Edited by jednc

Wow, they actually poured 1/2 of floor 2 on the condo tower. I think they might have some deal with Novare where they build one floor for every Novare tower constructed.

If these guys are getting paid by the hour, I'd hate to be the one footing that bill. In all seriousness though, did they really just take one month to do a floor? I can't imagine anyone being able to afford it taking that long. The pace can only pick up from here.

Wow, they actually poured 1/2 of floor 2 on the condo tower. I think they might have some deal with Novare where they build one floor for every Novare tower constructed.
:rofl:

Let's hope this isn't another in what seems to be a long string of false starts on some real vertical movement!

I think it's been said many times on here that Charlotte cannot support a Hard Rock, nor do many want one. A Hard Rock needs to be in a big tourist destination and Charlotte is not there yet.

I, for one, could care less about Hard Rock or most any chain for that matter. I'm very happy that many, not sure the number but I'd say half or more, of our restaurants and bars downtown are not chains. Hard Rock to me personally is cheesy and goofy anyway -- too much $ for bad food just to look at some old guy's guitar that he might or might not have really ever played.

At least we don't have a downtown filled with Chillis, Applebees, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, PF Changs...they are all basically the same restaurant with little twists to make them seem unique to each other. Add some ginger and noodles you've just made an Olive Garden pasta dish into a PF Changs Fusion dish...

Sorry for the rant, but I hope Epicentre isn't solely filled with non-descript airport quality restaurants.

I, for one, could care less about Hard Rock or most any chain for that matter. I'm very happy that many, not sure the number but I'd say half or more, of our restaurants and bars downtown are not chains. Hard Rock to me personally is cheesy and goofy anyway -- too much $ for bad food just to look at some old guy's guitar that he might or might not have really ever played.

At least we don't have a downtown filled with Chillis, Applebees, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, PF Changs...they are all basically the same restaurant with little twists to make them seem unique to each other. Add some ginger and noodles you've just made an Olive Garden pasta dish into a PF Changs Fusion dish...

Sorry for the rant, but I hope Epicentre isn't solely filled with non-descript airport quality restaurants.

+++++++++

Local flavor trumps all. That's where the longterm J&W influence will help.

I'd love to see a bunch of little noodle, pizza, burrito, etc shops open up around uptown to provide more variety to dining uptown outside of the millions of upscale restaurants, and to also keep people on the streets during lunch hour, weekends, and late nights.

The second floor of the Trade St Epicentre building will have an upscale casual-wear clothing store called Revolution which will house the same types of articles as Rock&Roll Emporium but at the same time will include clothing from Affliction and Ed Hardy. My roommate's friend is opening it and is looking to get my roommate to possibly be the GM. So, I may be able to give a little more updates on this project in the future. We'll see.

A cafeteria like J&K or K&W would probably do quite well if they could find an affordable location near the office towers. You see cafeterias all over the place in major business centers, so I'm a little surprised there isn't one in uptown Charlotte (or is there? I seem to remember a cafeteria-like niche in the BoA atrium but never ate there...)

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Having a few chain restaurants uptown would be great for families from the burbs and conventioneers. Most suburbanites and travelers seek familiarity when looking for dining. If they see a Applebee's, Chilis, TGIFriday...etc they know what to expect in terms of menu, atmosphere, food quality and pricing. As a traveler the last thing you want to do is stumble into the wrong place for dinner. Personally, it would also be nice to not drive out to the suburbs to occassionally dine at one of the chains. Don't misunderstand, I'm all for the local entreprener, but there's plenty of room for the chains. In fact, Charlotte needs some decent chains that are not super expensive. We have too many high-end restaurant chains uptown ie...McCormick & Schmidt, Mortons, Ruths' Chris... I believe restaurants with a $8 - $15 entree options would be very successful. Epicenter would be wise to seek out a nationally known destination restaurant. I think the big point is to provide many varied dining options and you'll attract many and varied consumers. That's what will make Epicenter successful -- something appealing to everyone.

A cafeteria like J&K or K&W would probably do quite well if they could find an affordable location near the office towers. You see cafeterias all over the place in major business centers, so I'm a little surprised there isn't one in uptown Charlotte (or is there? I seem to remember a cafeteria-like niche in the BoA atrium but never ate there...)

There is College Place on the corner of 2nd (MLK Blvd) and College St. It sits between Wachovia #2 and #3 underneath the Atrium.

Food is good. They have daily specials and the Big Daddy Club can't be beat! Every Tuesday and Thursday.

:thumbsup:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Having a few chain restaurants uptown would be great for families from the burbs and conventioneers. Most suburbanites and travelers seek familiarity when looking for dining. If they see a Applebee's, Chilis, TGIFriday...etc they know what to expect in terms of menu, atmosphere, food quality and pricing. As a traveler the last thing you want to do is stumble into the wrong place for dinner. Personally, it would also be nice to not drive out to the suburbs to occassionally dine at one of the chains. Don't misunderstand, I'm all for the local entreprener, but there's plenty of room for the chains. In fact, Charlotte needs some decent chains that are not super expensive. We have too many high-end restaurant chains uptown ie...McCormick & Schmidt, Mortons, Ruths' Chris... I believe restaurants with a $8 - $15 entree options would be very successful. Epicenter would be wise to seek out a nationally known destination restaurant. I think the big point is to provide many varied dining options and you'll attract many and varied consumers. That's what will make Epicenter successful -- something appealing to everyone.

UNO Pizzaria on College and 2nd (or is it 4th?) Midrange chain in Uptown. Something along those lines for Epi would be appreciated.

But since we're speculating, and most of us have to be wrong, I would like to say: ALL NIGHT DINER PLEASE!!!!!!

The concept coming to Epicentre will be the first in Charlotte. It is not Hard Rock, but there are similar type restaurants to this that already exist in Charlotte, but this will blow them all away. The meals are very well done and in the $15-25 price range. I think it will be a monster hit for uptown. As the previous poster mentioned, based on my understanding the restaurants,bars, concepts going in the Epicentre span the spectrum of the eating and drinking world.

It is not ESPN, it is a totally different type of concept, ie not a sports bar!

Thats all I need to hear. We have enough sports bars in this thing.

I actually agree with this in principle. But in a downtown that is already very active like Charlotte, I don't know that it is necessary. I have argued in the past that for a downtown that hasn't quite made it mainstream, they can be a boost. Though having said that, I won't loose any sleep over not having one in downtown because in all likelihood I would never go to it.

The Bowling Alley has been confirmed, and no it won't be a Lucky Strikes Brand. It will a new concept owned, and run by the bar managment group. Expect to hear more stores soon, like aussie's friends Revolution, and many others. More details will hopefully come soon, including just what DealMan is talking about, its pretty exciting ^-^. And on another epicenter related note, Ghazi will soon be launching a website for epicenter, so we soon everyone will know what exactly is on the plate. Business will start opening in March, Whiskey river invite only opening Late Feb, Grand Opening Early march. Howl at the moon, late April soft opening early May Grand Opening.