210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Having a few chain restaurants uptown would be great for families from the burbs and conventioneers. Most suburbanites and travelers seek familiarity when looking for dining. If they see a Applebee's, Chilis, TGIFriday...etc they know what to expect in terms of menu, atmosphere, food quality and pricing. As a traveler the last thing you want to do is stumble into the wrong place for dinner. Personally, it would also be nice to not drive out to the suburbs to occassionally dine at one of the chains. Don't misunderstand, I'm all for the local entreprener, but there's plenty of room for the chains. In fact, Charlotte needs some decent chains that are not super expensive. We have too many high-end restaurant chains uptown ie...McCormick & Schmidt, Mortons, Ruths' Chris... I believe restaurants with a $8 - $15 entree options would be very successful. Epicenter would be wise to seek out a nationally known destination restaurant. I think the big point is to provide many varied dining options and you'll attract many and varied consumers. That's what will make Epicenter successful -- something appealing to everyone.

I don't completely disagree with you at all, and understand the arguement about out-of-towners getting food they know and are comfortable with. We do have chains that are inexpensive, just not as well known. Fox & Hound, Rock Bottom, Bojangles(!), Harry & Jeans...

To me, though, it goes to the arguement that comes up every once in a while and most recently in Creative Loafing. There is a thread on here for it as well. People say Charlotte doesn't have a very distinguishable identity or people say there isn't much of an outside identity for the city. One thing I've always thought sets one place apart from another is food.

If your restaurants in downtown Charlotte are the same as downtown Atlanta, Houston, Pittsburgh, etc, because they are all the same chains, you just perpetuate this thought. For me personally, I never understood why someone would travel across the country then eat the same food they eat at home -- guess it is just me. Actually we were in Playa de Carmen, Mexico, a few years back and the busiest bar/restaurant on the strip was TGI Fridays -- packed with Americans. Why would you leave the country to eat the same thing you eat at home...oh well, glad the taco stand and seaside seafood places were open for the rest of us!

I'd prefer a good staple of local food, BBQ, Mert's Soul Food type stuff, anything that can be generally southern or Charlotte. Applebees here is just like Applebees there. When I travel part of the fun is seeing what food is like elsewhere but I will admit the chains I see all over the country and world are packed. I hope all the restaurants in Epicentre aren't just mall-like places, but if they are I'm fine with it -- just glad to get a movie theater and bowling alley!

Edited by Charlotte_native

Next week's CBJ has an update on the bowling ally. It will not be Lucky Strike, but it will be operated by BAR Management. They own BAR Charlotte, Dixie's (I think) as well as other nightclubs around the country). The name of the alley will be Big City Lanes.

Edit. Also, Aloft now has it's website up for the Charlotte location.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/...propertyID=3007

It lists Nov. 1, 2008 as the opening date.

Next week's CBJ has an update on the bowling ally. It will not be Lucky Strike, but it will be operated by BAR Management. They own BAR Charlotte, Dixie's (I think) as well as other nightclubs around the country). The name of the alley will be Big City Lanes.

I was just curious and did a search for Big City Lanes. Charlotte is not the only planned location -- it looks like one is coming to a Ghazi development in Milwaukee as well, still owned by Bar Management Group of Charlotte. Funny -- this article is from November. Aparently the Milwaukee location was announced before the Charlotte one.

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/bigcitylanes.html

I was just curious and did a search for Big City Lanes. Charlotte is not the only planned location -- it looks like one is coming to a Ghazi development in Milwaukee as well, still owned by Bar Management Group of Charlotte. Funny -- this article is from November. Aparently the Milwaukee location was announced before the Charlotte one.

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/bigcitylanes.html

Might be old news to some, but I just noticed in this article that the Ghazi development in Milwaukee is called Catalyst ...

Meanwhile, back at 210 Trade ... some concrete wall formwork was elevated to the next level this afternoon. Maybe we are done with false starts on some real vertical movement. :thumbsup:

Might be old news to some, but I just noticed in this article that the Ghazi development in Milwaukee is called Catalyst ...

Meanwhile, back at 210 Trade ... some concrete wall formwork was elevated to the next level this afternoon. Maybe we are done with false starts on some real vertical movement. :thumbsup:

They have started another floor above the already poured floor closest to trade, looks like we could start to see some legitamate progress!

There's a piece on News 14's web site talking about the opening of EpiCentre. While they were hoping for the end of Feb, it looks like it'll be more like March. They anticipate it will be ready for the ACC Tourney and obviously the Men's NCAA Regionals. More than 50 tenants (didn't realize it was that many) will occupy the place. Here's the link to the article. It also has a video piece on it. BTW - Heather Childers looks mighty fine here :)

BTW - Heather Childers looks mighty fine here :)

Ha! Perhaps I will tell her that at work tomorrow! :lol: (Hmmm, maybe I should also tell them that they misspelled "EpiCentre" in the graphic open.)

Did you catch that Ghazi said he expects to have 10 million visitors a year to the EpiCentre in the future?! Concord Mills is the #1 tourist destination in NC and it had 17 million visitors in '05. 10m for EC may be ambitious.

Too bad it won't be ready for the CIAA Tournament which starts February 27th.

Yea, I was hoping it would be too. That's a big draw for Charlotte.

Ha! Perhaps I will tell her that at work tomorrow! :lol: (Hmmm, maybe I should also tell them that they misspelled "EpiCentre" in the graphic open.)

Did you catch that Ghazi said he expects to have 10 million visitors a year to the EpiCentre in the future?! Concord Mills is the #1 tourist destination in NC and it had 17 million visitors in '05. 10m for EC may be ambitious.

If you tell her I won't be offended, haha.

I heard the 10 million visitors per year thing too. I thought that was quite ambitious, but I'm glad Ghazi has this vision. I'd love to see them underestimate the visitors at EpiCentre like CATS underestimated the light rail average ridership.

I heard the 10 million visitors per year thing too. I thought that was quite ambitious, but I'm glad Ghazi has this vision. I'd love to see them underestimate the visitors at EpiCentre like CATS underestimated the light rail average ridership.

I'm not sure it is too ambitious if you consider the number of events at Bobcats Arena and their annual visitors. The number of people in the various hotels around downtown for business, trips, and events, and the number of folks who come for conventions. EpiCentre is very well located for any of them to take advantage of, and likely they will. The main complaint I've ever heard from folks visiting Charlotte has been the lack of just this kind of place for when they aren't at their conferences, events, or when they have free time. Not sure it will become much more of a destination other than for those in the ring 'hoods, but I do think they will be slammed with business from the day it opens.

Update on the Pedestrian Bridge connection to the Arena Station:

- The original contract with Archer Western had to be cancelled due to delays in permiting with the EpiCentre project.

- The city put this project out for rebid and Morlando-Holden is the low bidder.

- Bottom line is that if Council approves the new contract this pedestrian bridge should be complete by March 11th.

Update on the Pedestrian Bridge connection to the Arena Station:

- The original contract with Archer Western had to be cancelled due to delays in permiting with the EpiCentre project.

- The city put this project out for rebid and Morlando-Holden is the low bidder.

- Bottom line is that if Council approves the new contract this pedestrian bridge should be complete by March 11th.

wow, it must not be anything special if that's all the time it will take. Then again I'm just used to the pace of this project going slow anyways.

I'm not sure it is too ambitious if you consider the number of events at Bobcats Arena and their annual visitors. The number of people in the various hotels around downtown for business, trips, and events, and the number of folks who come for conventions. EpiCentre is very well located for any of them to take advantage of, and likely they will. The main complaint I've ever heard from folks visiting Charlotte has been the lack of just this kind of place for when they aren't at their conferences, events, or when they have free time. Not sure it will become much more of a destination other than for those in the ring 'hoods, but I do think they will be slammed with business from the day it opens.
Also, due to it's proximity to office towers, I'm sure there will be plenty of folks there for lunch during the week that will count as visitors. Unlike Concord Mills, this will also draw folks in who just want to stroll through and check it out.

Is this the bowling alley? Avenue E in Charlotte?

The Business Journal reported the bowling alley was "Big City Lanes" run by Bar Mgt Group. They will also run the bowling alley at Catalyst in Milwaukee, another Ghazi project.

The article about about "E" says that Charlotte is on a list of cities that is being planned or under consideration. The Epicentre bowling alley is already under construction, right? So by default, that can't be Epicentre that they are talking about.

Everyone watch out for flying foam today, looks like the are putting up EIFS/dryvit on the 4th St side of Epicenter. I know this sounds like a dreadful tragedy, but what they've done on the inwards facing part of the building actually looks pretty good.
I'm cautiously hopefully that the bulk of it will be far enough from eye level to not be that obvious. Although more windows, fake if they need to be, higher up would have helped to break up the space.

Ah yes! I think I found out what the corner restraunt anchor will be! I was just looking up some dinner for tonight, and what caught my attention was that Wild Wing Cafe had a location listed for Uptown Charlotte. The address is listed at 210 Trade St, Suite D210. It probally isn't going to excite everyone on these boards for its a southeastern franchise, but I love Wild Wing Cafe and its enviornment, and this is an awesome addition and much needed type of restraunt for the center city, IMO. Yes another bar, but will be a perfect large sports bar that close to the arena. Should add a lot of style and neon to the area, it made its presence on the corner of S. Tryon in SW Charlotte.

Ah yes! I think I found out what the corner restraunt anchor will be! I was just looking up some dinner for tonight, and what caught my attention was that Wild Wing Cafe had a location listed for Uptown Charlotte. The address is listed at 210 Trade St, Suite D210. It probally isn't going to excite everyone on these boards for its a southeastern franchise, but I love Wild Wing Cafe and its enviornment, and this is an awesome addition and much needed type of restraunt for the center city, IMO. Yes another bar, but will be a perfect large sports bar that close to the arena. Should add a lot of style and neon to the area, it made its presence on the corner of S. Tryon in SW Charlotte.

I am excited for that! And it takes the place of the "sports bar" void from Fox Sports Grill

Yes there is going to be a wild wing cafe, that has been announced previously by atlrvr. However Wild Wings is not going to be the very high profile tenant of the corner restaurant, at least I'm fairly certain. The Business that opens is not going to be a sports bar really, and it is not something charlotte already has, there is already a wild wings in charlotte.

Yes there is going to be a wild wing cafe, that has been announced previously by atlrvr. However Wild Wings is not going to be the very high profile tenant of the corner restaurant, at least I'm fairly certain. The Business that opens is not going to be a sports bar really, and it is not something charlotte already has, there is already a wild wings in charlotte.

I thought the Wild Wing Cafe was only on a wish list or stated as a possibility in the rumors, not anything officially announced... Oh well...