210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

The bowling alley and the movie theatre are listed as for adults only. Combine that with the number of bars that would only allow 21 and up and you could say that the majority of the property would be for adults only. Only problem is with the restaurants. They can't discriminate against age if there are no laws being broken (like a bar can prevent underage people from entering), as long as they aren't trespassing.

There has been some success at some complexes with playing classical music loudly over speakers. What teenager wants to listen to Beethoven?

A lesson could certainly be learned by the experience of the Jacksonville Landing, a somewhat similar central-city entertainment/retail/restauant development.

The Jacksonville Landing has been open over 20 years. During the first few years, the Landing was everything us urban folks admire. Truly a place to take visiting family. A chance to feel real civic pride.

But after 5 years or so, thugs and ruffians started hanging around, attracted by the Landing's "free" status. A few fights starting breaking out here and there, during late bar hours (in the public areas of the Landing) But then full-blown eruptions of drunken violence, involving scores of people, started taking place in the lovely riverfront courtyards.

After several of these, the local media pounced all over the story. Every weekend the local news sensationalistically broadcast the "latest out-of-control brawl at the Landing".

So normal people who just wanted to enjoy a nice night on the town became fearful of going to the Landing at night. The Landing then started to stagnate. After a while, only ruffians and people with little money to spend became the norm at nights.

Charlotte just can't allow that to happen. Security must be a top priority. And the image of the EpiCentre as a safe, fun place must not be compromised by the actions of a few.

I don't see that happening because, in comparison, Charlotte does seem to have a lot more patrols uptown than Jacksonville. In Jacksonville's defense though, they have started to clean up that area and the last time I went into The Landing, they had signs posted for a major overhaul they were going to do to the center, so I'd imagine that security will also bump up in this process. If they are completely redoing the image of that gorgeous shopping center, then they will probably try to help its reputation in the process.

I don't see Charlotte getting to that point as Charlotte seems to have a more lively urban core overall which keeps the atmosphere a little safer and more secure. But, like in any city, where there are people, there will always be issues related to violence and crime eventually. There's no escaping it.

The EIFS folks were in full force this morning on the EpiCentre exterior ... it was "foaming" at the corner of College and 4th to the point that is looked like snow flurries outside. There were enough styrofoam pellets on the Charlotte Plaza black sidewalk that it looked like a spotty cover of dry snow.

Also noticed on the walkby today that an escaltor from College Street to the second EpiCentre level is being installed.

210 Trade might be dragging, but the rest of the block is looking great! :thumbsup:

So is Whiskey River still slated to be opened this Saturday? It seems like a little bit of a stretch

Everyone take a look at the Webcam it looks like we have whisky river signage up on the round part of Building A above the stairs! If this is the kind of signeage we can expect from this project, there might be hope yet!

Edited by 83alphaunder

Everyone take a look at the Webcam it looks like we have whisky river signage up on the round part of Building A above the stairs! If this is the kind of signeage we can expect from this project, there might be hope yet!

What's so special about it? Looks like the lettering in any other shopping center IMO.

It's actually exactly what I was expecting.

...but that's because I have low expectations.

A sign is a sign, for the most part, especially when there are 60 shops with signs all put into this one block. However, my expectations, in terms of signing, are high for what to expect at night. I look forward to see how much of a risk the businesses and Ghazi are in Manhattan Style signage, or bright, neon, LCD, LED, etc. signage. I know the bowling alley has some awesome concepts, but we'll see how everything else runs. Oh- and personal opinion only, I'm hoping they go all out with night signage, fwiw.

A sign is a sign, for the most part, especially when there are 60 shops with signs all put into this one block. However, my expectations, in terms of signing, are high for what to expect at night. I look forward to see how much of a risk the businesses and Ghazi are in Manhattan Style signage, or bright, neon, LCD, LED, etc. signage. I know the bowling alley has some awesome concepts, but we'll see how everything else runs. Oh- and personal opinion only, I'm hoping they go all out with night signage, fwiw.

My Expectations for signage are also high. And I definately do not see how the whisky river sign is ordinary, especially for downtown charlotte, it appears to be a lighted sign, we'll see at night sometime I'm sure. Its also quite large, and It looks great on that curve. I'm very excited for this project, whether its EIFS or not, its going to be a fantastic addition to downtown charlotte, so I wish people would stop being so negative and look at all the positives.

That signage covered all over the building will definitely make the facade otherwise an afterthought. There is a point where it can get so tacky it is cool, but only after walking a fine line. I hope they can pull it off.

Also, did I miss it, or did we not yet get more information on what is going in at Trade and College in the spot that was originally going to be Fox Grill?

That signage covered all over the building will definitely make the facade otherwise an afterthought. There is a point where it can get so tacky it is cool, but only after walking a fine line. I hope they can pull it off.

Also, did I miss it, or did we not yet get more information on what is going in at Trade and College in the spot that was originally going to be Fox Grill?

It didn't look like any of the retail or restraunts listed on the master list that was posted fit the description of going there. Wild Wing Cafe, which I originally thought was going there, was knocked down since it has reserved a space elsewhere on property. Someone previously mentioned that they knew what was going in, and although couldn't say, it was something similar to the Fox Sports Grill and Bar in type of restraunt and would be "semi-unique" for the city, assuming that it may be either locally owned or the first for Charlotte but something that may be in other cities... but who knows :dontknow:

As I said previously, from the mouth of the developer, Fox Sports grille still occupies the corner of trade and college. He would like to get rid of them but can't because they are under lease. However he has someone else lined up if they back out.

Can anyone answer the question of when Whiskey River will open? Last I saw it was slated to open this saturday, 3/1.

As I said previously, from the mouth of the developer, Fox Sports grille still occupies the corner of trade and college. He would like to get rid of them but can't because they are under lease. However he has someone else lined up if they back out.

Can anyone answer the question of when Whiskey River will open? Last I saw it was slated to open this saturday, 3/1.

Sorry, not sure about Whiskey River, but is there any word why Fox Sports Grill wants out, or the developer wants it out?

This blog entry from some random person seems to imply that it is is related to Dale Jr's affiliation with Budweiser, making Whiskey a bad thing.

http://ernhrtfanalwys3.blogspot.com/2008/0...ming-along.html

Andy, the way I read BB's post is that the developer wants out of having Fox Sports Grille, but can't drop them since they have a lease. Sorry I missed that earlier, BB.

I hope his back up option can find another good place if Fox Sports stays in.

For whatever reason, it's Whisky River without the 'e' for what it's worth. If you care.
It's an odd word. To be precise, it's Irish and American Whiskey, Scotch and Canadian Whisky. The Willie Nelson song is "Whiskey River". I guess Dale isn't a Willie fan. BTW, the Whisky River website does not mention an opening date.

I noticed today that the bridge connecting the complex to the LRT station is well underway. I'm guessing their mid March completion date for it is doable.

Edited by Miesian Corners