210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

It's an odd word. To be precise, it's Irish and American Whiskey, Scotch and Canadian Whisky. The Willie Nelson song is "Whiskey River". I guess Dale isn't a Willie fan. BTW, the Whisky River website does not mention an opening date.
What is the Whisky River website? It certainly isn't www.whiskyriver.com, although it's kinda funny what this URL points you to. :)

I noticed today that the bridge connecting the complex to the LRT station is well underway. I'm guessing their mid March completion date for it is doable.
I walked by this morning and the steel girders are in place for the bridge. I agree it shouldn't take long to wrap the bridge up.

I\'m very excited for this project, whether its EIFS or not, its going to be a fantastic addition to downtown charlotte, so I wish people would stop being so negative and look at all the positives.

Ok...I'm positive that I'm let down. I'm positive that we were promised "quality materials" that would include stone and masonary facades. I'm positive that no amount of signage (and what I see so far is underwhelming) can dampen the hollow sound the walls will make them I tap on them.

I'm sorry, but I just get sick of trying to rationalize cheapness.

Bring back Holton Square (but bring it into the new century).

post-1667-1121804855.jpg

When my brother was in the College of Architecture at UNC Charlotte, Cesar Pelli gave a presentation that the students attended. Pelli's firm, of course, designed the BofA Corporate Center, among hundreds of other projects, including many high-rises. Instead of discussing design techniques for high-rise construction, he spent the entire time talking about materials: fabrics, cladding, windows - everything. The attention to detail that his firm gives to materials is evident in all of their projects.

Contrast that with Ghazi: all one needs to do is see the Grande Promenade at Harris & 29, or The Shops at Montford on Park Rd, to know that materials selection and utilization is not his strong suit.

We never should have had high expectations for the materials used on EpiCentre, judging from Ghazi's previous body of work.

It's an odd word. To be precise, it's Irish and American Whiskey, Scotch and Canadian Whisky. The Willie Nelson song is "Whiskey River". I guess Dale isn't a Willie fan. BTW, the Whisky River website does not mention an opening date.

I noticed today that the bridge connecting the complex to the LRT station is well underway. I'm guessing their mid March completion date for it is doable.

I don't see what Budweiser or anyone else would have to do with the spelling of a generic word for a liquor, Whiskey. My thoughts are in line with yours above, though, and maybe they are hoping to avoid any copywright or other similar issues since Willie has long had a song coincidentally similar to the name of the bar that Dale Jr supposedly just thought up! I'm sure Dale has never heard of it!! This is supposed to be a country bar, right? My guess is this is why the spelling difference, Willie fan or not, a country bar named after a very famous country song without giving the writer and performer credit for the name.

Actually no its not a country bar, its just a normal bar. Whisky River was the name of his fathers bar in his basement, so the only way we can find out how is to talk to miss cleo and get her to talk to dale earnhardt. Willy Nelson has absolutely nothing to do with it, neither does Budweiser, its just kidna in memory of the big 3.

Actually no its not a country bar, its just a normal bar. Whisky River was the name of his fathers bar in his basement, so the only way we can find out how is to talk to miss cleo and get her to talk to dale earnhardt. Willy Nelson has absolutely nothing to do with it, neither does Budweiser, its just kidna in memory of the big 3.

Haha... Isn't Miss Cleo in jail?

Yeah- I heard that it is going to be a casual hang-out enviornment, wood paneling type bar and is suppose to feature live music and a mechanical bull.

Any bar with a mechanical bull has got to be a country bar.

Bar Charlotte, which I hate, has a Mechanical Bull, and is definately not a country bar. I hadn't heard there would be a mechanical bull, I just heard that riding one was part of the interviewing process for the Whiskygirls, which was done at Bar Charlotte, but I could definately be wrong.

Oh and Andy, Yes Ms. Cleo is in jail!

d\\\Edit

On a completely different note, it looks like they are setting out forms on the middle building to do some designs with the brick pavers that are going on each of the floors.

Edited by 83alphaunder

So we shouldn't assume his father named his bar after a very popular song at the time? OK.

I think the city was just glad to have something going on in that spot, so they probably weren't/aren't concerned so much with quality of materials.

Which is a big problem in Charlotte. The city, and the residents, are always so glad to replace an underutilized parcel that they aren't particularly picky how well designed the replacement is. Something like this would never be built in an older, established city.

I like to think they used to avoid violating some copyright or trademark, or else avoiding a problem with Budweiser or something. At least Whiskey is a valid spelling. I sort of like revival of alternate spellings that have roots in history.

Someday they'll think people are quant who still spell love 'love' rather than '<3' or 'luv'. They'll go 'thru' all our old 'riting' and 'laff' about all the 'ugh's we still kept from the olden days when the scotsmen cleared their throats 6 times per sentence.

^Well, they're both valid spellings, but you would've thought he'd have chosen the American one ("whiskey"). What's funny is that I found several "Whiskey River" bars on the net. One is in New York on 5th Ave and another is in Macon, GA on Pio Nono Ave (no doubt Macon's version of 5th Ave). I didn't find any "Whisky River" bars. Perhaps that's the reason he chose that spelling.

By the way, Thursday's are "Girls Gone Wild" nights at Whiskey River-Macon. I'm kinda scared to think of what that might look like.

Maybe this is the latest trend like 'olde' and 'towne'. Now we'll have 'whisky' popping up all over the place.

Really, I'm glad that we do have multi-millionnaires able to reinvest in the city. That is something that has a huge impact on cities. The fact that this is a playtoy for him (he doesn't care if it makes money), is great. It will also be destination retail for many of the people that will go to the Nascar Hall and we should hope that more places popup like that. Celebrity places always are top on tourist's lists of places to go.

Well it looks like we're not the only ones grumbling about the AT&T billboard perched on top of the building. According to the article linked below, City officials feel a little robbed as to what they were promised and what they got with the signage on this site. This is so typical of rezonings and variances. If the language isn't crystal clear, you give developers an open door to do exactly what they want. We were promised Times Square and got a curved highway billboard! Hopefully when the rest of the signs go up it will be tastefully gaudy instead of just plain ugly.

http://www.charlotte.com/748/story/515756.html

Looks like we got the answer to our question, "when does whiskey river open" It seems the answer is March 19th, just a little more than two weeks away. It also gives the forth explanation for the name I've heard thus far, so we can add this to the speculation, i'm sure only Jr. knows what it really means.

http://www.charlotte.com/618/story/511638.html

This was reported in the observer eye.

Looks like we got the answer to our question, "when does whiskey river open" It seems the answer is March 19th, just a little more than two weeks away. It also gives the forth explanation for the name I've heard thus far, so we can add this to the speculation, i'm sure only Jr. knows what it really means.

http://www.charlotte.com/618/story/511638.html

This was reported in the observer eye.

Yea, I saw that too... I thought it was going to be open before the ACC tourney, but I guess not. At least some things will be ready for the East Region sweet sixteen and elite eight...

Curiouser and curiouser.....to answer dbull75's question...my birdie wasn't specific....perhaps they have a commitment, but haven't fulfilled the sales obligations....I'll try and follow up

I don't normally post random rumors that I hear, but this comes from what I would consider a very neutral source in the matter, and very linearly connected to the developer, so I wouldn't think there would be any positive or negative spin added as part of the game of "telephone".

Regardless, I think the fact that they pour 1/2 floor about once a month or so is pretty strong corroborating evidence that the cash spicket hasn't been turned on.