210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

This seems very slow and leisurely. I saw on build it bigger that Trump is pouring 2.5 floors/week on his towers (or one in a little less than 3 days)

Thats what I had thought as well. Seems to me that if catalyst, with similar sized floorplates can be built 4-5 days per floor then 210 trade could definately go faster than 8 days. If they are taking 8 days per floor they better be working 7 days a week, or that will translate to a floor virtually every 2 weeks.

I am not familiar with the Trump tower's situation...but 210 Trade's site does have some things going against it compared to Catalyst:

1- Catalyst has 2 Tower Cranes...whereas 210 Trade has 1

2- Storage space Catalyst has almost an entire city block to stage construction matierals whereas 210 Trade has that small section of roof on the EpiCentre.

3- Site Constraints - Catalyst doesnt really have any whereas 210 Trade is right against an active LRT line and on the other side has EpiCentre about to open any week now. I am sure all those active uses constrain how and where the crane operates.

With all the constraints on the 210 site I don't know if 8 days per floor is considered slow or not...but I certainly would expect it to be slower than Catalyst.

The 210 Trade condo tower site is more constrained than the Trump Chicago site.

210 Trade's site is about 350ft x 120 ft

Trump Chicago's site is about 400ft x 140 ft

Not to mention that Trump has full use from the ground up and has at least 2 tower cranes whereas 210 Trade has to work on the roof of an exisitng building and 1 tower crane.

The constraints are just one part of the picture, as it is constrained in the areas of financing and experience, too. If well financed and the company had more experience like Trump does, then I'm sure it would go much faster. The point as I see it, is that they are having a rough time but are systematically trying to solve each of the problems, but I would not expect to see any degree of speed.

I drove by last night to see the LED screen all lit, and I must say that I like it. With that lit and the arenas, and of course all of the other craziness around the arena last night, it really did begin to feel like a "times squarsey" area. Just felt a lot more lively. I'd imagine once EpiCentre is more completed that it's going to feel like something that Charlotte hasn't felt before.

I was on the Starwood site today and noticed they have an opening date for the aloft that I don't recall seeing in this thread.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/searc...&hotelName=

It lists aloft Charlotte as opening November 1, 2008. That definitely seems like a long time from now, but I guess we are a stage in construction where they should actually have a clear path to completion, so I would expect that date to stick.

The difference between 210 Trade and Trump's towers is that he hires a contractors that know how to build a building.

I see your point but I think that even if F&C had hired Bovis (who is building the Trump Chicago Tower) that they would not be able to build at the floor every 3 days rate. Bovis is the one doing the Catalyst Tower here in Charlotte whose site is much less constrained than 210 Trade or the Trump Chicago tower and they have not been able come close to a floor every 3 days.

To get much faster than the 8 day rate then RJ Griffin (or any GC) would need at least 1 more tower crane and a larger construction prep area. My point is that it's more than just experience that allows GC's to build fast. You have to have the right tools, matierals, and space in place as well.

Edited by uptownliving

The "paid to party" blogger from the Charlotte Observer has posted details/renderings of the Strike City lanes.

Among the details:

30 lanes on two levels

Billiard Tables

Full Service bars

Dance Floor

"private" bowling alleys

70' long wall of TV's

Sports ticker

I think this will be a huge hit when it opens this fall. People are always looking for something "different" to do and this will certainly fit the bill uptown. Park Road lanes this will not be!

http://obsent.blogspot.com/

strikecity.jpg

strikecity2.jpg

strikecity3.jpg

http://obsent.blogspot.com/2008/03/inside-...ling-alley.html

Paid to Party Girl for the Charlotte Observer had a blog entry about the new Epicentre Bowling Alley, and it was decently informative. I figured I'd highlight what she said before I left for work, its definately not small.

30k sq feet.

2 floors

The first floor will include 18 bowling lanes, two full-service bars, billiards tables, a dance floor and a DJ booth. Six of the lanes will be in private rooms that can be rented for parties, corporate events and other functions. The second floor will include an additional 12 bowling lanes. So in case you can't do math, thats 30 lanes, seems great to me.

Apparently it is also going to be the ultimate destination for sports fans, as they are planning a 70 foot wall of jumbo televisions as pictured below. The pictures look great. It says in her blog entry that it is set to open this fall and construction on the bowling alley itself just started.post-17104-1206017732_thumb.jpg

post-17104-1206017601_thumb.jpg

post-17104-1206017688_thumb.jpg

post-17104-1206017732_thumb.jpg

Only one thing I didn't like about the idea so far, the name, Strike City, is pretty lame.

Edited by Guest

Yeah- this is truly different for something and someone in Charlotte. This is the kind of place that I will be happy to take out-of-town company when they come for a visit. And imagine watching all of the games on those TV's, that's not an ordinary sports bar, truly that is Vegas-like!

It appears Charlotte has finally joined the high-rise living trend full force with several new projects going up lately. I always figured it wouldn't take long for uptown to catch the wave. There has been an amazing revival of many American central cities over the past 15 years. St. Louis, Washington, Atlanta, and New York have enjoyed a complete reversal of fortunes in recent years with new developments and condos springing up all over town. Strangely, Charlotte never posted a population decrease while most American cities did, and now it's population has reached 700,000 in the central city-much larger than a lot of other major cities. More developments like these will follow to be sure, and I wonder if taller highrises will be the norm in Southend in the future-isn't Southend Charlotte's Buckhead?

I see those private lanes being used up a lot by businesses. In the one rendering it shows on a screen Welcome Bankers of America, so I think this will be one of those places they plan a lot of office parties around. Not to mention those TVs, hopefully they'll have a variety of sports and games showing on them at all times.