210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Strangely, Charlotte never posted a population decrease while most American cities did, and now it's population has reached 700,000 in the central city-much larger than a lot of other major cities.

That's largely due to very flexible annexation laws in NC. Many of the older cities in the Northeast and Midwest are hemmed in by smaller municipalities, thus they were not able to capture much of their suburban growth like Charlotte has been able to.

More developments like these will follow to be sure, and I wonder if taller highrises will be the norm in Southend in the future-isn't Southend Charlotte's Buckhead?

SouthPark is usually recognized as Charlotte's Buckhead.

It is incredible how long this project is taking, but as long as they can keep the financing going, we can all wait. But I do remember thinking that most of the retail would open last fall, so having so much being delayed to fall of this year, seems like a long wait. Mostly because I get asked to got bowling 5 times a year, and my response is always "let's wait till Epicentre's bowling alley opens". Now I have to stall 6 more months at least.

It is incredible how long this project is taking, but as long as they can keep the financing going, we can all wait. But I do remember thinking that most of the retail would open last fall, so having so much being delayed to fall of this year, seems like a long wait. Mostly because I get asked to got bowling 5 times a year, and my response is always "let's wait till Epicentre's bowling alley opens". Now I have to stall 6 more months at least.

The paper today has a front page article about the slowing or stopping of a couple projects downtown and this is one. They state that they have 70% of the units sold, but code / ownership issues combined with a couple other factors have caused them to stop to rework some of their paperwork with the city/county. They state that they will still be able to be done by their move-in dates of 2010.

so i don't know whether to be excited, or not, but on the webcam it looks like the curved signage (AT&T Billboard) is electrical now??? or is some bright light being shined on it from somewhere?

Sorry to say it's still the bright orange billboard we've all come to know and hate. I think it was just the spotlights reflecting in such a was as to blind the camera.

I love how this area already feels at night, even without Epicentre of most of its projects being done. The dense feeling along the sidewalks with at least the framing of Epicentre, the Ritz, etc will be great once they are done, lit, and occupied. My family is in town from Durham for Easter and its been a great weekend to walk around and show them everything that is going on -- holiday weekends tend to have the city quiet and traffic low, combine that with the great weather its been perfect.

WhiskyRiver Hung some clever signage on the trade street side of building one today. Its verticle, 10+ feet tall, and sticks out about 2 feet from the fascade and it lights up. I know some people are not happy with the overall execution of outdoor signage at Epicenter compared to what they have been allowed, but I think its too early to judge. Whisky Rivers Signage, at least in my opinion, is a good sign of things to come. I think once all of the business are open, the visual clutter will be very nice looking and somewhat impressive.

I agree. This is going to be awesome with all the signage, which is done in a huge and colorful way. I saw the parking signs today, and I'm starting to get the vision of how the rest of the complex will look when those businesses are up and running.

They are also bricking up the Trade Street sidewalk these days. I hadn't really thought about it before, but this brings Tryon Street style streetscape down that block.

I agree. This is going to be awesome with all the signage, which is done in a huge and colorful way. I saw the parking signs today, and I'm starting to get the vision of how the rest of the complex will look when those businesses are up and running.

They are also bricking up the Trade Street sidewalk these days. I hadn't really thought about it before, but this brings Tryon Street style streetscape down that block.

Personally I love the multiteired streetscape of patio space. Mix that with the large grand staircase it really creates a great streetscape that, while it may not have street level retail, really draws the pedestrian. Start to add signage and this project looks better and better. I have noticed the quirky parking sign as well and I'm really starting to get restless for this project to open. Along with the bricking up trade street I've noticed that they are putting plenty of spots for planters on the ground and the side of the building. This week they seem to be bricking the rest of the project as well, so it seems they might live up to some of the material choices they promised.

Edited by Guest

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Whisky River has been moved to a Early April Soft Open and a Tax Day or so Grand Opening. In other words, no, Epicenter will not open in time for the NCAA Tourny. Its very disappointing, IMHO. But I would rather everything be open then just one thing. Not to mention, having ur soft opening during a huge rush like a tournament would be rather frustrating I'm sure, so its better to be prepared.

On the walk in this morning I noticed that the sidewalk paver placement is pretty much complete from the Trade/College intersection down to where the 210 Trade construction elevator is (at the grand staircase). The landscaping planters next to the building have been planted up near the Trade/College intersection as well.

It's hard not to get excited about this project, especially when you consider the old convention center shell that sat there in decay for so long!!!

Edited by Appetite for Construction

What's the latest word on the condo tower. I mean is it going to be built EVER?

The bank that's financing the condo made the developer go back and resolve a permitting issue with the condo and the EpiCentre/Hotel. It has caused the condo to be delayed until that's resolved. May be another month before they start back up.

I poked around a little bit. Emporis has the aLoft hotel listed as 15 floors. However, if you go to the Starwood web site the rendering makes it look like 10 floors. So for what it's worth, I'd say it is 10 floors and should be topped out soon. Official opening is scheduled for November 1st.

I poked around a little bit. Emporis has the aLoft hotel listed as 15 floors. However, if you go to the Starwood web site the rendering makes it look like 10 floors. So for what it's worth, I'd say it is 10 floors and should be topped out soon. Official opening is scheduled for November 1st.

I believe that Emporis includes total floors, related or not. So 15 is about right when you consider Epicentre's ground floors. My guess would be either this next floor they are about to place or the one after will be it for aLoft, it all just depends on whether or not the 10 floors of aLoft include the utility floor on top of Epicentre or not.

It is that windowless floor, then 9 stories, then sort of a 10th story with the various things that are on the roof. One thing I hadn't really thought about or noticed, but they really expanded how much space is in the Epicentre section under the hotel. Now that that is 4 big stories of Epicentre, the height is much taller than originally modeled.

61888405.jpg