210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

As I mentioned before, it is time to discuss the actual retailers leasing in Epicentre site to the Charlotte Coffee House thread here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/EpiCentr...ail-t10884.html

Note that a link also appears below in 'Similar Topics'.

The Coffee House is a much better location to discuss these retailers, and helps clear this thread of some of triviality in comparison to the larger issues of the development as a whole. Given that this site has serious issues relating to permits, lawsuits, code change requests, and possible (unlikely) construction of a condo tower, let us reserve this thread for those topics.

In the coffee house thread, there is more tolerance for discussions of the specific retailers going in. We can't keep littering this thread with those side discussions considering how many retailers are going to be going there.

[i'd ask the other moderators to help enforce this distinction, if possible.]

• 3 weeks later...

They are taking down the crane today for Two ten Trade. Looks like this project is down the drain for now.

:cry: yeah, too bad. When F&C bought the air rights a few years ago, I had my doubts about the company building TTT. Wished someone else with experience building condo towers bought the air rights instead. Look for TTT to be a ugly monuement for the time being.

As much as many of us would like to see these projects finished, a pause isn't a bad thing IMO. The market is rough right now (closings in Mecklenburg down almost 50% from same month last year) so holding back some inventory won't hurt. I really doubt something at some point won't be built on this foundation.

Correct me if my perception is wrong about this one: but the portion of the Epicentre which was meant to be the amenities deck of 210 is built - correct? This is the enclosed top two floors above where they are building Thai House etc. This is the section that proved to doom the relationship between to two projects I think, and I assume it was built and operated by the Epicentre development and not 210. Soooooo, if 210 doesn't get built out the way it was planned, would it be impossible to think that the amenities deck(s) could be retrofit for use of the Epicentre patrons - I don't know, like some actual RETAIL FOR GOD'S SAKE?!?!?!

Correct me if my perception is wrong about this one: but the portion of the Epicentre which was meant to be the amenities deck of 210 is built - correct? This is the enclosed top two floors above where they are building Thai House etc. This is the section that proved to doom the relationship between to two projects I think, and I assume it was built and operated by the Epicentre development and not 210. Soooooo, if 210 doesn't get built out the way it was planned, would it be impossible to think that the amenities deck(s) could be retrofit for use of the Epicentre patrons - I don't know, like some actual RETAIL FOR GOD'S SAKE?!?!?!

I kinda laugh at stuff like this...

not many on this website seem to understand its more difficult then allotting a space and saying, retail, come here. no mainstream retailers are willing to make the jump to uptown, especially not now, even at very attractive offers.

I kinda laugh at stuff like this...

not many on this website seem to understand its more difficult then allotting a space and saying, retail, come here. no mainstream retailers are willing to make the jump to uptown, especially not now, even at very attractive offers.

I asked you to correct me, not laugh at me. <_<

Here's a little photo tour from Sunday 08-24:

The new pedestrian bridge:

08-24-08002.jpg

aLoft:

08-24-08004.jpg

EIFS, Colored EIFS, and nice windows:

08-24-08006.jpg

Howl and Whiskey:

08-24-08009.jpg

Elevator Shaft (All Glass thankfully) that goes underground to parking:

08-24-08011.jpg

Bowling and Movie Theater entrance side of EpiCentre:

08-24-08010.jpg

And to close up, the look of the colored EpiCentre on aLoft:

08-24-08013.jpg

I think if aLoft used a brick exterior, it would have balanced out the EpiCentre EIFS much better and looked to be a much higher quality overall product. The EIFS is a bit overwhelming for an uptown development, IMO, but where they have used brick, I have enjoyed the feeling that it endures. Overall, I do enjoy the feeling, the views, and the properties that are currently and look to be soon opening at EpiCentre. It looks like PJ's, rhe Bank of America Branch, and Flemings will be opening next since they have their signs up and look to be wrapping up work.

Edited by Andyc545

This is a really strange development. Some areas seem nice with tasteful use of metal, glass, and brickwork (movie theater area and trade street side). Then some parts are disneyesque eifs wonders with really bizarre and random color selections that are already stained (the part under aloft in the last picture). Who the hell planned that "street"? The new pedestrian bridge is nice though and according to their website, Muvico will really dress up the theater.

This is a really strange development. Some areas seem nice with tasteful use of metal, glass, and brickwork (movie theater area and trade street side). Then some parts are disneyesque eifs wonders with really bizarre and random color selections that are already stained (the part under aloft in the last picture). Who the hell planned that "street"? The new pedestrian bridge is nice though and according to their website, Muvico will really dress up the theater.

I believe this project will age badly and very quickly. The materials have a cheapness about them that anyone can sense. Although I supported the concept, I'm not a fan of the execution, at least what I've seen so far.

I believe this project will age badly and very quickly. The materials have a cheapness about them that anyone can sense. Although I supported the concept, I'm not a fan of the execution, at least what I've seen so far.

I was optimistic about this project in the beginning but I now have the same feelings as you. The aging of this project will be anything but graceful unfortunately.

yeah, it looks "run down" before it is even fully completed.

There is definately a big descrepency about what looks good and what looks awful in this project. Building A and B look great, the movie theatre part looks pretty fantastic so far, but beyond that its pretty hokey. Building C is looking very Chris Branchesque thus far, and I'm not quite understanding how they went from their original renderings to this pile of mess, aestheticly speaking it really just bothers me. From what I understand those stains can and will be cleaned, if they are not cleaned b4 this thing is fully opened I suggest sending complaints to the GC.

From what I understand those stains can and will be cleaned, if they are not cleaned b4 this thing is fully opened I suggest sending complaints to the GC.

I was really just figuring those stains were dirt. They were all over the building and I figured they would pressure wash the buildings after construction is completed in those areas.

On another note, there are a bunch of porta-potty's lined up, very noticeably from College Street, I'm assuming for the pavilion on Thursdays. Anyone have any insight about if they are installing permanent bathrooms or something else? I just can't fathom having porta-potty's sitting on site after it's complete. These don't appear to be construction toilet's either since they have signs and and paths that lead from the bars and pavilion specifically to them, with little Bud Light signs.

I was really just figuring those stains were dirt. They were all over the building and I figured they would pressure wash the buildings after construction is completed in those areas.

On another note, there are a bunch of porta-potty's lined up, very noticeably from College Street, I'm assuming for the pavilion on Thursdays. Anyone have any insight about if they are installing permanent bathrooms or something else? I just can't fathom having porta-potty's sitting on site after it's complete. These don't appear to be construction toilet's either since they have signs and and paths that lead from the bars and pavilion specifically to them, with little Bud Light signs.

Yes the Pavilion will have permanent bathrooms in the future, as well as an inclosed bar and etc. The porta potties are not only for Epicentre at 5, but there is a party/Pep Rally for the VT/ECU football game on friday.

I was in Charlotte today (Saturday) and wanted to visit the Epicentre.

As someone who loves downtowns and new development (especially retail) in them, some constructive criticism:

I'd think that the hassle factor would definitely hurt business. First, while there seemed to be on-street parking spaces all around Uptown, nearly all of them had "No Parking" signs up for the day (why? there wasn't anything going on uptown, from what I could tell), and the Epicentre parking garage wasn't clearly marked; all I saw was $5-7 spaces in lots, which could be a turnoff for people. Free/cheap/convenient parking is pretty key from a suburbanite's perspective, and that wasn't available. Second, from an uptown worker's perspective, it was also a hassle; the skywalk from BofA Plaza was closed. Third, the Epicentre seemed to still be a construction site; the Coldstone Creamery was hidden away in the complex and required a lot of dodging construction barriers and the like to get to.

Where are the signs saying what's coming soon (other than one for Fleming's and maybe one or two other restaurants)? If I were a typical suburbanite and had finally made to the Epicentre after finding parking or navigating my way past the construction debris after walking outside from elsewhere uptown, I'd be very disappointed- "there wasn't anything there other than a Black Finn and a Coldstone Creamery hidden away; I dealt with all of that hassle for THAT?!" might be a typical suburbanite response. All of the stores in the works and the movie theater need to be heavily advertised.

Where's the Epicentre website? Something with a map of the complex and a list of stores/restaurants would be helpful.

(I used to live uptown and work uptown and I'll do anything to get to a new shopping center, so I certainly wouldn't let those obstacles prevent me from doing a full spin around the complex, but I'd think that those obstacles would drive others away.)

Edited by mallguy

Third, the Epicentre seemed to still be a construction site; the Coldstone Creamery was hidden away in the complex and required a lot of dodging construction barriers and the like to get to.

Where's the Epicentre website? Something with a map of the complex and a list of stores/restaurants would be helpful.

THATS BECAUSE ITS A CONSTRUCTION SITE! You couldn't use the Skywalk because ITS UNDER CONSTRUCTION! There will be a site with a map soon, its already underconstruction. 5-7 dollar parking is cheap. In NYC its 10 dollars an hour. Inconvenient parking is a suburban ideal, not urban. Also There is a HUGE sign for epicentre parking! There is a 2000 space parking deck, direct access to light rail, and once its finished direct access to the overstreet mall. There is every access point for the surbanite you can think of.

Edited by Guest

^ Virginia Tech & ECU was today too. That might explain some of the onstreet parking closures.

That's exactly what was going on. In fact, I tried to go to Black Finn at what I thought would be an early enough hour so I wouldn't have to wait, but lo and behold it was packed with ECU and Va Tech students and alumni.

I went to the EpiCentre last night after the ECU/VT game (great win by the Pirates btw). The place was a mad house--we went to Blackfinn which was cool. Though we got a little concerned when we started hearing this pounding above us. Only to realize that there was some kind of strongman competition at the pavilion. The overall vibe was good. I overheard a lot of people talking about how they liked Epicentre and looked forward to seeing it done the next time they come into town. The one complaint I had, and it may of been mentioned here before, was the parking deck at EpiCentre. There were leaks all over the place from the rain storm. I'm hoping that they are focusing on getting that fixed b/c there were a lot of areas that were borderline flooded. I'd expect that more from a place that's been there for 30 years and not something that's brandnew. Not something you want to see from what's supposed to be an entertainment destination.

Edited by dbull75

..... If I were a typical suburbanite and had finally made to the Epicentre after finding parking or navigating my way past the construction debris after walking outside from elsewhere uptown, .....

Most residents of Mecklenburg now know to just use the free Park & Ride parking on the light rail line and just ride the train right into downtown. It's much easier and while you do have to pay for a train ticket, it's really worth not having the hassle of trying to drive into downtown and to find a place to park once you get there. The main stop at the CTC lets you right off at this location.

Most residents of Mecklenburg now know to just use the free Park & Ride parking on the light rail line and just ride the train right into downtown. It's much easier and while you do have to pay for a train ticket, it's really worth not having the hassle of trying to drive into downtown and to find a place to park once you get there. The main stop at the CTC lets you right off at this location.

I'm a big fan of the train but I wasn't coming from south Charlotte. I appreciate the explanations, but if I were Mr. Typical Suburbanite, I still would have been turned off. Uptown seemed dead as doornail when I went- around 1pm on Saturday- and so I just didn't understand why the parking spaces along the streets were blocked off, why the Overstreet Mall bridge was shut down (I thought I had read on UP that it'd already be open), why there was no Epicentre website, why there were street signs pointing to parking decks (but not to the Epicentre one), etc.

For uptown to succeed even more, we need to look at it from the Rhino Times reader's perspective- someone who already has a chip on his shoulders against uptown, comes there rarely, and doesn't want to pay to park or deal with more hassles than he'd have when driving to the strip mall nearby in Ballantyne.

I'm a big fan of the train but I wasn't coming from south Charlotte. I appreciate the explanations, but if I were Mr. Typical Suburbanite, I still would have been turned off. Uptown seemed dead as doornail when I went- around 1pm on Saturday- and so I just didn't understand why the parking spaces along the streets were blocked off, why the Overstreet Mall bridge was shut down (I thought I had read on UP that it'd already be open), why there was no Epicentre website, why there were street signs pointing to parking decks (but not to the Epicentre one), etc.

For uptown to succeed even more, we need to look at it from the Rhino Times reader's perspective- someone who already has a chip on his shoulders against uptown, comes there rarely, and doesn't want to pay to park or deal with more hassles than he'd have when driving to the strip mall nearby in Ballantyne.

There was a huge college football game on Saturday. ECU and Virginia Tech game was probably, what, 75k people, mostly commuting in and out of the city. That's why city streets were cleared, to open capacity. I wasn't uptown at 1 b/c I was working, but I was uptown at about 7pm, and the streets, sidewalks, clubs, restaurants, etc. were bustling. There were football fans out, locals, and vacationers for the holiday weekend.

Parking signs: there is a huge Green parking sign for the EpiCentre. In its 2 block radius, there is a large amount of add'l parking garages that existed before EpiCentre, including 7th St Station, BB&T, and the BofA Corporate deck. I'd imagine they are all advertising well since all of the activities this Saturday and all of the add'l vehicles traveling to uptown.

The website is currently under construction, as the whole EpiCentre project is, that's why it is not yet advertised. Here's the website, though: http://epicentre-charlotte.com/

Both bridges to EpiCentre are under construction. There is the CTC lightrail bridge that is currently unfinished in concrete, then there is the Overstreet Mall bridge, that is under construction, as I showed in a photo from last weekend. It looks like it may open soon, but it still has finishing work before it's safe to open to the public. From last weekend, notice the scaffolding:

08-24-08001.jpg

Edited by Andyc545