210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Yep....it means its open for business. The bar in the rendering looks pretty good for a hotel bar.

Thanks. Incidentally, I just got back from a quick stop at an EpiCentre-based establishment. The rumor going around there is that the Aloft bar doesn't have its liquor license. Hope they're wrong. It's a hell of a weekend for an uptown bar to not have its ducks in a row.

• 3 weeks later...

An update today: http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...2/tidbits1.html

Lawsuits are still on but F&C's legal firm just quit the case because F&C isn't paying their legal bills.

Wow... it's like no one is paying anything anymore when it comes in regards to this property. Ghazi and his taxes, F&C's legal bills; I hope all tenants are paying their bills. What a dismal time it is...

• 4 weeks later...

I was walking around EpiCentre and I've made several observations about it. They've added "furniture" to make their "streets" feel more authentic. Plants, tables, chairs, signs, other miscellaneous art, etc. Its all there, and it looks awesome. You almost feel like you're on a European street if you can ignore the overhead walkways and uplighting. I took a picture with my camera on my phone, but it just doesn't do the place justice. Its really amazing what these things have done to transform EpiCentre and create a sense of place.

I was walking around EpiCentre and I've made several observations about it. They've added "furniture" to make their "streets" feel more authentic. Plants, tables, chairs, signs, other miscellaneous art, etc. Its all there, and it looks awesome. You almost feel like you're on a European street if you can ignore the overhead walkways and uplighting. I took a picture with my camera on my phone, but it just doesn't do the place justice. Its really amazing what these things have done to transform EpiCentre and create a sense of place.

That really sounds great, I had been optimistic that they would do more to enhance the experience of Epicentre, and it sounds as if they have. I heard they plan to string lights about the "avenues" as they did at Ghazi's project on Park Road, has that happened. I'll be interested to see pictures of the new enhancements if anyone ever gets a chance to further explore epicentre for us who cannot see it.

yeah the little touches that they keep adding are really improving the place rapidly. i love the ring-shaped bike racks under the stairwells, and the striped colorful awning for the aloft elevator entrance, and the little lights embedded in the cobblestone (most people i go there with complain about the cobblestone though...meh)

I disagree. Honestly, I think it looks pretty trashy. Just like the last post said, it looks like a cruise ship, or some kind of Disney re-creation of a European street.

I think it is perfect for the crowd that gets wasted there every night. A round of Jager Bombs to toast the brilliant Epicentre!

Edited by Sportster

I disagree. Honestly, I think it looks pretty trashy. Just like the last post said, it looks like a cruise ship, or some kind of Disney re-creation of a European street.

I think it is perfect for the crowd that gets wasted there every night. A round of Jager Bombs to toast the brilliant Epicentre!

No offense to anyone intended, but on one hand we decry that there isn't enough to do in downtown Charlotte, then when something gets built we pick it apart. I agree, actually, that it is fairly cheezy, not my style, and generally could have been done better. BUT a lot of people obviously like it from the crowds it generates, it is far better than what was there before (and huge unused convention center), and is a start.

Everything built isn't for everyone. This is for part of the population and hopefully soon more will be built that I'll enjoy. I don't care for the standin'-pretty bars and clubs, but I do like Jason's Deli, the bowling alley, the theatre (not the bars in the corridors), and the ice cream shop.

This project has added just one more facet to uptown in what I hope will be a multi-faceted place to be. Just like the NASCAR HOF -- I could care less about racin', but it will provide something for those that do. We have kid's museums and theatres, high end restuarants, starting to get more cafes, music halls, and all types of other 'stuff'. At least there is progress instead of a standstill.

Maybe I am missing something, but jager bombs and getting wasted don't exactly seem like family activities.

I think downtown is leaning a little heavy on the bar scene, if I were still in my twenties I would probably be there alot, but as a father now not so much. I can't wait till some of the museums open up but how many times do you want to go to the same ones?

I think Downtown is VERY heavy on the bar scene. Also, I'm sure plenty of other people have noted that its heavy on chain restaurants and plastic experiences in general. The Epicentre seems like a caricature of what Uptown Charlotte is all about.

I think that Charlotte is going to see a major exodus of young, intelligent, creative people in the next several years because of places like this.

Over the last few years I have met a lot of young people who hate Charlotte's meat market bars and chain restaurants, but have been trapped here because they were lured in by a high-paying job at one of the banks. Now that the banks will be eliminating jobs, I think these people will choose to go live somewhere that they actually like.

Charlotte has chain restaurants and bars because that is what is there, people are being safe. If that makes any sense. I would gladly welcome someone on this forum to grow the pair nobody else seems to have and be a pioneer, hell be a "maverick." Usually your great local haunts and restaurants do not locate in any major commercial hub, because rents are so high!

Take New York City for Example. When I think NYC I think two distinct Central Business Districts; midtown and lower manhattan. I presently live in Brooklyn, but over Valentines Day my fiance and I decided to stay in midtown (huge mistake). We had dinner at Gordon Ramseys Maze, then tried to go out in Midtown, we had a lousy time. There is believe it or not little to do in midtown, other than chains and over priced restaurants. Same goes for Lower Manhattan, although it actually has some great pocket bars and restaurants that are hidden from the world. If you want great shops, restaurants, and fun things to do you go to NYC's neighborhoods, East/West Village, Soho, Lower East Side, Park Slope, and etc.

I really feel like a cities downtown is sort of made for your chains, tourist traps, and bars. I think Charlotte needs to develop its neighborhoods along transit corridors, and start with Southend along camden, and try to expand that entire area out several blocks. The rents are cheap there, why not!?

I think Epicentre is very appropriate for its location, while it is underwhelming architectually, is a step in the right direction. I think a lot of it is placeholders for something better. The tenants that are there are safe, until uptown proves it can support local restaurants and retail, it will remain safe. So please, for goodness sakes, lets start a Urban Planet Restaurant.

Edited by Guest

From a sheer marketing and business persective, Epicenter is quite a success. Like what is there or not, the places are packed and doing well despite a poor economy. Most of what is there isn't my scene at all, but I don't begrudge the place for being there for those (many) who do want it and like it. We'll go to movies before the bars open and probably use the bowling alley pretty often. Jason's Deli is a favorite because no one has salad bars any more. When we go out we'll skip the Jager Bomb bar spots and opt for a couple little lounges we like that just happen to not be chains...Press, Picasso's, Arpa, Therapy, and the bar at Bentley's 27 (for the views).

If you don't like the bar scene uptown just go to NoDa -- the bars and cafes there are all locally owned, no chains. Same with 7th Street in Elizabeth and all up and down Southend.

Epicenter is what it is and, IMO, serves the bar hoppin' crowd, visitors crowd for sports events and conventions, the CIAA folks, and plenty of others that visit and want something to do close by. Two years ago everyone said there was nothing for these visitors to do. For better or worse, visitors often like something they recognize. That's why everywhere I've travelled overseas still has a Burger King, McDonalds, and other American chains. The main drag in Playa de Carmen Mexico has a huge TGI Friday's, one of their busiest bars.

Just because you don't like the plastic places doesn't mean you have to go to them. Pick somewhere more genuine and cozy and be glad that plasticville is there so that crowd doesn't take over the place you do like :)

Edited by Charlotte_native

Epicentre overall is not my scene, much more laidback here so I stick to places in PM or NoDa. I used to bemoan the lack of "chill" ( am I really chill if I use that word? :lol: ) places in Uptown compared to the wild party bars. But Uptown thrives and is mainly focused on the high end or the college crowd so I go elsewhere. On the good side this points to the growing options and diversity of our city. Different strokes for different follks and all that. I do think the movies and the bowling alley are positives. I like seeing the energy and people walking around when I go by. Makes Uptown feel more alive after bankers hours. I wonder if Revolution is getting close to opening? Anyone know? I hope they are still moving forward. It's supposed to be the new concept from the owners of the now closed Rock&Roll Emporium which sold music inspired clothes and stickers and lots of other great tchotchkes...... R&R was a fun store and having another version in Epicentre would be a great addition to the mix.

.... The Epicentre seems like a caricature of what Uptown Charlotte is all about.

I think that Charlotte is going to see a major exodus of young, intelligent, creative people in the next several years because of places like this.......

It's interesting commentary. Thanks for being brave enough to say it. I suppose we will see what happens when the free wheeling money from the banks dries up in terms of what it means to having drawn people to downtown. I personally think that Charlotte is woefully short of the things that make a place a community. Big buildings, sports arenas, chain food places and single demographic housing don't do this. The hammer is falling on the finance industry which the modern downtown is mostly a product of. On the earlier comment about restaurants, there used to be plenty of local ones. Most met the demise of getting out of the way for something better.

I have to agree with Charlotte_native. Every town has sections which cater to certain crowds. Uptown does not define the entire city and as others have pointed out, there are plenty of places within Charlotte that are a little more diverse and eccentric. If Uptown isn't your scene, its a short trip to North Davidson or Southend to dip into something that satisfies your taste. I certainly don't want young people to flee Uptown, but since that demographic makes up the majority of the crowd at Epicentre, I'm not too concerned. So I guess my suggestion (like others) is if you are dissatisfied with the bar/restaurant scene...start your own bar/restaurant.

As a 20 something uptown resident, I can assure you everyone I know loves Epicentre. Yes we drink, I've even been known to have a jager bomb or shots of Patron, so shoot me [no pun intended!]. It has brought so much to downtown that it didn't have before (in recent history..I'm sure some of its amenities existed decades ago before downtown hollowed out). Trust me, when it comes to attracting young people to Charlotte and creating night time vibrancy downtown Epicentre has been an overwhelmingly positive force. Yes, it is obviously a planned retail, dining, and entertainment complex, a glorified strip mall of sorts, but it's a helluva one. It's very street friendly and has bridge access to Lynx. Strong downtowns normally always have bar scenes. I know bars don't make a downtown, but it's a key quality of life indicator for most younger folks. This building alone provides a strong incentive for people to live downtown. Do we really want to go back to the old days when the streets would clear after 6? I'm going to go out on a limb here and thank Ghazi for developing this facility, I go there at least two or three times a week for lunch, movies, or the bars.

Edited by WestCoastNC