210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Why doesn't Ghazi just pick a different, more prominent developer and just get the tower built? Seems like most of the smoke is cleared with the lawsuit and other stuff.. isn't time to move forward?

There's already an oversupply as it is, especially in the luxury condo market. If he could somehow dramatically reduce the price points to where the average person could afford one, it might work. He'd probably have to reduce the scope too. Maybe a tower half the size as well....

EDIT: Just realized I spoke as if Ghazi owns the air rights, which I knew he didn't :) This would apply to the group that now does.

Edited by dbull75

Why doesn't Ghazi just pick a different, more prominent developer and just get the tower built? Seems like most of the smoke is cleared with the lawsuit and other stuff.. isn't time to move forward?

Unfortunately thats no longer an option since Ghazi does not own the air rights anymore. I don't give Ghazi much blame, he has opened a fairly successful complex, and he bid out the work to developers and F&C is the one that got the bid. Yes he should have seen their track record and known that was a stupid idea, but in the "bubble times" everything seemed possible!

Edited by Guest

Hmmm, the fact that the LLC is a bankruptcy lawyer just makes me think it is someone basically trying to profit from flipping the rights versus someone with experience in actually getting something developed there.

Still, it seems like extremely good news that it is in the hands of someone new who is at least partially motivated to make something happen.

The rest of the article is pretty much a recap of the saga, and some quotes by Ghazi. The only point that sticks out to me is that Ghazi says he has doubts that a condo tower will ever go on that site.

The LLC is not a bankruptcy lawyer. The lawyer simply filed the articles of organization. That does not mean he is a member of the LLC. You would have to see the LLC's Operating Agreement to figure out who the members are. Unfortunately, that is not a public document. You might be able to glean some information about the membership by looking at the register of deeds online (look for all filings referencing "210 Trade"). It appears there is a deed of trust that would have had to have been signed by a managing member of the LLC. Unfortauntaly, my JAVA software does not appear to be working, so I could not view the document images. If any of you can, I would be interested in knowing who signed on behalf of 210 Trade Investments.

The LLC is not a bankruptcy lawyer. The lawyer simply filed the articles of organization. That does not mean he is a member of the LLC. You would have to see the LLC's Operating Agreement to figure out who the members are. Unfortunately, that is not a public document. You might be able to glean some information about the membership by looking at the register of deeds online (look for all filings referencing "210 Trade"). It appears there is a deed of trust that would have had to have been signed by a managing member of the LLC. Unfortauntaly, my JAVA software does not appear to be working, so I could not view the document images. If any of you can, I would be interested in knowing who signed on behalf of 210 Trade Investments.

Signed by James H. Henderson - Manager

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I bought tickets for a 6:45 movie at Epicentre Theaters online. Bad idea on CIAA weekend. Every street in Uptown was gridlock. Epicentre parking garage was closed/capacity. All other parking was $10/20. And when we finally got to the stairs leading to the upper level, security told us that the fire marshal had closed down the upper floors due to capacity. We asked whether our tickets would be refunded and got no real answer other than "They're not even showing movies right now." We hung around, got a second opinion, and were eventually let upstairs to find out that in fact they WERE showing movies and everyone in the Mez was very surprised that people were not being let upstairs to their businesses. YIKES.

Edited by The Escapists

HA! I had that experience last year. It was a private party with DJ Jazzy Jeff deejaying. They let us through the big lines though and everyone was good sports about letting us pass through them to go to the movie.

It sucks that they almost didn't let you up, but I guess the flipside is that it is evident that the concept of Epicenter being built in conjunction with the arena made sense. That place was packed out when we went by yesterday.

Last night I went to see a movie at EpiCentre. Clusterf***. I had to go to four different places to get parking validated, then was unable to get the elevator to the garage. I'm beginning to wonder how guests at Aloft ever get to their rooms.

Unless you are going to the CIAA games or the parties involved, I'd stay clear of downtown on this weekend. I know I do because downtown is just ridiculously busy.

Unless you are going to the CIAA games or the parties involved, I'd stay clear of downtown on this weekend. I know I do because downtown is just ridiculously busy.

Also, did anyone happen to notice all the broken down cars on the highways this weekend? Seemed like there was one every mile or so on I-77!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been back since the renovations but went to PJs all the time. They expanded into the sunglasses store space next door (no surprise that that place didn't make it), so now have two entrances and seating areas with a wrap-around bar serving both. It's probably a good move for them since they did most of their business as a bar, but I always went for the hookahs and of course we can't have that anymore because of the smoking ban.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but PJ's has closed. It's apparently already re-opened as Mortimer's, which is supposed to have a pub-like feel. I haven't been there yet, though.

I actually stopped by for a drink last night with some friends. Turns out that they had just opened the night before for St. Patrick's Day. It was a just plain old bar. Not a dive, but just no theme, and I don't mind that a bit. The walls were a little bare. But other than that, it nice U-shaped bar with a ton of bar stools, and a friendly staff.

I actually stopped by for a drink last night with some friends. Turns out that they had just opened the night before for St. Patrick's Day. It was a just plain old bar. Not a dive, but just no theme, and I don't mind that a bit. The walls were a little bare. But other than that, it nice U-shaped bar with a ton of bar stools, and a friendly staff.

I was at Mortimers last night meeting a friend on his lunch break. While the food was good, the staff still is a little rough around the edges. Might check it out in the future as a good non-cover bar like Phil's.

• 3 months later...

Epicenter Sundries (the convenience store that was on the second level next to Breuggers) is moving to "Lower Level, on Trade Street" according to the sign in the window... this could only mean at street-level off the sidewalk...right? If so, that's great news.

yeah there is one street-level space on the trade side, and i always wondered what would go there. a convenience store is a pretty good fit imo. i hope they will be more full-service than epicentre sundries currently is but in any case they'll do better there. anyone know if they currently sell beer and wine?

1) I'm not surprised. Especially after all the issues that were going on with contractors not getting paid.

2) I doubt this will affect business there, at least not anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ghazi on this one though.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are so quiet around here I thought I would post some old news:

The August 6 Business Journal reported that the air rights to the 210 Trade tower will be auctioned on Thursday (August 19). There are lots of black clouds hanging over this site, but any interest at all would be a good thing...

Perhaps we should pool our money.

Big news for the Epicentre:

I heard from a very reliable source over the wknd that Crobar has nixed their plans to open at the NC Music Factory and has opted to open in the Epicentre on the second level just below Suite. I'm told they will be openning in 3 months, to my surprise. Just below Crobar a mexican restaraunt is openning on the first level sometime soon. Below is a link to the Crobar website and there is a link to Charlotte but it only says, "coming soon".

^ If your source is correct then I'm kinda surprised and not really.

The not really comes from not really hearing anything for the longest time about Crobar at the NCMF. This was really evident when there was a recent article about them in the Observer and they talked about upcoming openings (Pizza place, diner, small bar) but no mention was made of the biggie.

The part that does surprise me is the space you mentioned at the Epicentre. I just don't personally think it is a good fit.

Edit: Your source must be right (at the least about Crobar not going to NCMF) as the Factory layout diagram now shows a "Country Saloon" in what was formerly the Crobar space

http://ncmusicfactory.com/tour/

Edited by Urbanity