210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

^ If your source is correct then I'm kinda surprised and not really.

The not really comes from not really hearing anything for the longest time about Crobar at the NCMF. This was really evident when there was a recent article about them in the Observer and they talked about upcoming openings (Pizza place, diner, small bar) but no mention was made of the biggie.

The part that does surprise me is the space you mentioned at the Epicentre. I just don't personally think it is a good fit.

Edit: Your source must be right (at the least about Crobar not going to NCMF) as the Factory layout diagram now shows a "Country Saloon" in what was formerly the Crobar space

http://ncmusicfactory.com/tour/

I was surprised too by the space Crobar has selected. So surprised I asked my friend if he was sure that was where they were going. He said, "positive".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't want to suggest that this is anything substantial but Ghazi is quoted in the observer today as saying:

once the bankruptcy plan is approved by the court, developing the tower is "very much on the table again."

Asked if he'd consider building more condos, he said it's the "least likely" choice.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/07/2206068/new-businesses-coming-to-epicentre.html#ixzz1IsH2uKbr

For what its worth.....

It's good to hear him say that condos are the least likely option now. I think that is a great spot for apartments or maybe even another hotel. Those concrete beams with the rebar sticking out of them really are an eyesore, especially considering the Ritz is right across the street.

The thought that the tower is now back in play is great news. What's even better is the fact the Epicentre is continuing to fill spots. A gym, salon, spa and newsstand will be nice additions as it will help diversify the businesses there so it's just not a "bar hotspot" Thurs-Sat nights. Putting in those types of things can certainly justify making the tower a residential building which means added foot traffic. Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

When the tower gets resurrected (which is only a matter of time) it would make sense if it were slated for commercial use such as a hotel/business hybrid. I would love to see a media company move in as a tenant too - but that may be too old school in current times.

As far as the new businesses opening at the epicentre complex - I noticed that Crobar isn't one of them. I checked the Crobar site and they still list a Charlotte location coming soon but no details/

I wonder if hotels would be concerned about noise from the massive amount of nightlife downstairs. It makes sense as a luxury apartment tower to me. Zero in on the young professionals that might just come downstairs to party at 11pm or later when the music is loud! I wouldn't be surprised if the reincarnation is more like 30 stories instead of 50. Built as a quality apartment project, it could always undergo a conversion to condos in a future healthier market.

As far as the new businesses opening at the epicentre complex - I noticed that Crobar isn't one of them. I checked the Crobar site and they still list a Charlotte location coming soon but no details/

I doubt Crobar is going to happen here, or at the NCMF. All three U.S. locations have closed, the most recent being Chicago last summer I believe. The only one that is open to my understanding is the one in Buenos Aires.

They had plans as far back as 2005/2006 for Peru and Beijing and those still haven't opened. I think Crobar as a brand is basically defunct so I wouldn't hold your breath for one coming to Charlotte or anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think office is the only viable option in that location. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there even if the condo market was strong.

Condos no, apartments, oh yes I'm sure lots and lots of young professionals that would love to live there for a year or two before moving on.

And we have a lot of hotels there already but I think its probably the most likely candidate.

A Moe's is opening in the 2nd floor space above Red Sky gallery. Interior work has just started.

I think it was mentioned a while back but Epicentre Sundries is closed and the sign in the window says they are moving to the street-level space on trade street and expect to open in August. Finally a good use for that space!

• 1 month later...

I can not vouch for the veracity of this, but it was relayed to me today by someone connected to the Epicentre that plans for the tower are back in the works and it will be a W hotel.

Also look for more retail shopping.

Sweet! I hope that "someone" you speak of knows what they're talking about. I've always thought either a hotel or apartment tower would be perfect for that spot. Heck, as long as something gets built there it would be better than the nothing there now. I've got my fingers crossed!

I'm hoping for an apartment tower here especially considering that apartments are starting to become scarce in Charlotte with a 9% vacancy rate and little construction at the moment. But it would be hard to be upset about a W hotel. Perhaps an apartment/W hotel combo? Either way, hope to hear some announcement about this soon then if this is indeed true.

Edited by dbull75

I can not vouch for the veracity of this, but it was relayed to me today by someone connected to the Epicentre that plans for the tower are back in the works and it will be a W hotel.

Also look for more retail shopping.

Just to clarify...when you say look for more retail shopping, do you mean more of the vacant spaces already in the Epicentre are being filled or do you mean that with the construction of the W Hotel there will also be more retail square footage added to the overall project?

City Officials or Center City Partners did mention that there were plans in work for 2 major hotel projects. One - thus far - being Hilton Skye. I guess a W hotel on the site of 210 Trade could be the other project they were hinting at? This would be amazing for Charlotte's ego and momentum to help propel us out of this current recession. I feel like we've been really making some progress since '09

On an unrelated note, W Hotel in Dallas looks similar to the 210 Trade Condo tower.

DALLAS, TEXAS

LD1032_DTD_W_Dallas_Victory_Hotel_01.jpg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Just to clarify...when you say look for more retail shopping, do you mean more of the vacant spaces already in the Epicentre are being filled or do you mean that with the construction of the W Hotel there will also be more retail square footage added to the overall project?

To be honest - that's a good question. I was under the impression that it was about the current vacant spots in the Epicentrer though your point about retail the hotel itself could add is something to consider.

A W would be great but only if it includes some residential. Just my opinion. We are already far behind the projected 25,000 people that officials said would be living uptown after 'all the condos" got built. Thats mostly because they were never built. Anywho, going forward I hope any hotels that are built include residential. And retail. And good restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible for the 210 Site to be completed with a hotel in time for the DNC?

I think that would be very aggressive at this point. Probably would increase the construction costs and potentially compromise the design - just for a 1-2 week time. I would think a hotel operator would be looking at the next 20 years - not just a convention next summer.