210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Krispy Kreme will last if it opens....most people in uptown are health conscious. And for those who come into uptown at night are not going to "pig out" on donuts before they hit the club....maybe after the club perhaps.

Ur delusional

I don't think Krispy Kreme will last if it opens....most people in uptown are health conscious. And for those who come into uptown at night are not going to "pig out" on donuts before they hit the club....maybe after the club perhaps.

I would be willing to bet this will actually be the busiest KK's in the REGION. 100k people live, work or play in downtown on a daily basis. I am not sure how you think you can speak for all of them.

Will this be a location where they 1. Actually make the donuts on site? 2. Truck the un-glazed donuts in and glaze them on-site, or 3. Sell the completed donuts?

There was a location in Raleigh on Fayetteville Street for a couple of years that did #3, but it closed. Part of the problem is that there's not as much allure for KK donuts when they're not fresh, and there was a store in category #1 just about a mile away.

There is a store in category #2 in Chapel Hill that does pretty well. Freshly glazed donuts provide an approximation of a category #1 store, though it's not quite the same sensation of biting into a cloud of explosive sugary deliciousness.

There was a Krispy Kreme next to the Harris Teeter Express near Myers Park Hardware for many years that did #1 and it had lots of traffic on Sunday after the Church's let out, I could never figure out why that one closed. Hope it is #1 because they are amazing when freshley made.

Sounds like the Epicentre is getting quite a makeover, redesigning the two main entrances, repainting in more vibrant colors, and making some changes to lighting and the escalator. The entrances will be named "The Muse" and "E Street," and it sounds like they are going to add some signage to make it easier to get around. Glad to see this place being taken care of by its new owners, though I have a feeling it's mainly for the DNC.

Also, MSNBC announced that they will have a temporary studio at the Epicentre during the DNC.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/01/3209321/msnbc-to-broadcast-from-the-epicentre.html

• 3 months later...

The need up AND down escalators.....not just up escalators. That always confused me.....

When budget and space is constrained, up-only escalators is the normal solution. Walking down stairs is not a big problem and there are elevators if you want to stand and wait while a machine delivers you to your level.

It's already tight enough on the corridors into the project, so down escalators would make that worse.

$15m in makeovers is a serious improvement, as it already was getting a dirty and rundown feel. The reinvestment will certainly help keep the project a success for a while longer, in addition to the growth in decent tenants.

I somewhat think they need a little bridge between the Whisky River and Revolution to help improve the prospects of the tenants left of the Mez entrance as I don't think they get much foot traffic right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see fewer advertisements in the epicenter. It feels like with the renovation they have managed to cram even more signs and ads into and onto that building. I assume they are getting some nice income off of it, but it just makes me want to spend as little time as possible in there.

The argument was that added signage would make Epicenter feel more like Times Square, but I agree that they might be overdoing it. Driving by it on College Street is pretty distracting and I have seen more than a few near accidents, especially with the cab loading area starting immediately at the intersection.

Agreed that the original proposal for Epicentre was to have it covered in signage and to be frank I'm all for it. In a city that is often called too antiseptic I see nothing wrong with this one area being such a brashness of blazing ads.

Frankly I would love to see the blank Omni wall that faces the Epicentre to have sddome kind of huge digital billboard akin to the old Coca Cola sign in Times Square.

• Like 1

Did anyone notice that the 2 floor space in the Omni will be a Walgreens with windows (that will likely primarily be advertisements). I know originally the plans for that retail space included having an entrance with elevators at the corner of Trade and College, taking out the 3-ish parking spaces there on the inside. I'm not sure if they'll do that or just rely on the ped bridge from Epicentre, but I do hope they do, as they can have a slightly different storefront design that breaks up the monotony of the Omni.

The only thing good about the Omni facade is that you can double check your clothing and hair before meeting your friends at Epicentre. :hi:

I think the Epicentre with the ads look fine. It makes trade and College much more interesting, walk able and liveable than say south college street. Look how it's even affecting The Omni :)

College street used to be like church street Bland and boring (which is odd considering church street is fairly developed compared to other bland streets) Epicenter just ignites college & Trade.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD