210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Could someone take some pictures are Epicentre so us outsiders can see it before the crazies destroy downtown. Same goes for the areas near CTC that Spartan was talking about earlier.

Edited by Guest

The crazies are there every night. I should have taken a few pix last time I was there. The main improvements I have seen are brown elongated tile (think modern backsplashes) arranged vertically on all the pillars. They also have a much better looking red [plexi]glass roof over the entrance elevator. Beyond that, I think it's just more ads and normal maintenance like paint job.

Oh, that is good news. I guess I don't go down that alley as much. Store facades will probably change and upgrade over time just like in malls, which is good thing for making it classier. The fake stucco was not a very durable choice in the first place. Overall, it feels like Epicenter is now a mainstream place and is sort of a hub of activity.

I did go to Phoenix last night for Krewella and it was really awesome in there. I'm glad that the College Street clubs are still alive and well despite Epicenter's existence.

The argument was that added signage would make Epicenter feel more like Times Square, but I agree that they might be overdoing it. Driving by it on College Street is pretty distracting and I have seen more than a few near accidents, especially with the cab loading area starting immediately at the intersection.

Seriously? Times Square? If that's true then it's an epic failure.

Agreed that the original proposal for Epicentre was to have it covered in signage and to be frank I'm all for it. In a city that is often called too antiseptic I see nothing wrong with this one area being such a brashness of blazing ads.

Frankly I would love to see the blank Omni wall that faces the Epicentre to have sddome kind of huge digital billboard akin to the old Coca Cola sign in Times Square.

The ads are too overwhelming. If I dressed up like a NASCAR driver and walked around that place it would be like wearing camouflage in the forest. But since the media says Charlotte has a "nascar culture" (whatever that means) then I guess its ok. If you're not careful you'll miss the trains and busses at the CTC since they are all wrapped in adds too.

If you go to large cities there are advertisements (which I'm not against) but it doesn't feel like it does at the epicenter.

looks like those ads were all just thrown up there with no regard for its surroundings :-(

Exactly.

Seriously? Times Square? If that's true then it's an epic failure.

times_square_25.jpg

It'd look like Times Square if it had even more adverts on top of the ads sprawling down College. Which would be pretty sweet if it did!

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

You'd also need about twice the entire population of Charlotte in 2 by 4 city blocks. lol.

^ Amen to that!

All debate over the DNC ads for Epicentre said - I've heard from a number of friends in NY, and in California who saw the Epicentre during coverage on TV and all thought the area looked cool. It gave CLT what it was after an image of a dense and popular gathering place in the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Walking through Epicenter yesterday I realized there needs to be some renovation recognition on the project everyone loves to hate and hates to love -

The improvements, though largely aesthetic, have dramatically improved the place. It doesn't feel nearly as cheap and shoddy anymore. Something as simple as decent railings on the stairs (which are still being worked on) just looks so much better.

• Like 1

I agree Toz. I just went in today to the AT&T store and I really like the valet station and the far better looking escalator roofing. They were actively working on repainting and cleaning the concrete of the stairs leading up to the AT&T store.

Overall, it appears very much cleaner and more modern.

• 2 months later...

The Epicentre is trying to become a daytime option for families and an "all day destination": http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Epicentre-adding-daytime--family-friendly-dining-options-184035341.html

A lot of info on some the updates. They are currently 93% leased. Among the things they will be adding is a diner, Hibachi grill and Italian restaurant. It also sounds like they are still weighing options for what to do with the site for the condo tower. To me, a 20-25 story apartment tower should still be a no brainer. 

^^^Shopping retail is the only thing I can think of that would enable a day-time experience there.  Just having places open for lunch doesn't equate it as a daytime destination.

On a related note -I'm thrilled to see from the Observer article about the news ticker tape they installed.  That was an idea I had voiced when it first opened!  Maybe they should get one of the local news networks to broadcast from there.  Could you imagine a WBTV early evening news or WTVI Charlotte Business show broadcast from there on a regular basis.

I also would suggest that the Epicentre go with the Times Square idea and put up more signage as well as host performances by travelling Broadway shows occassionally during lunch time. 

• Like 1

I hate going to restaurants so I second everyone else. BUT I posted on Rain Forest Cafe they should come to uptown and they liked the status. What is cooler than rain forest cafe?

I wonder if we could get any Ripley Believe it or not places. New Orleans, San Antonio and I think Nashville all have some. I'd be happy with any store though. Just thinking outside the box

You know what would probably fair quite well as opposed to an old school "coin arcade"?  A new school "video game" center.  There is one in Harrisburg.  It essentially houses Xbox's, PS3's and a ton of high capacity computers for gamers to come in and use.  Lots of big screens for tournaments and they also blast music and serve energy drinks (it's too much for me).  

That is the arcade of the future and would work well in the Epicenter.  If it was legit enough, they could even host game tournaments like Madden or Halo in there that may actually draw people in.