210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

^ A Dave and Busters would probably do well too. But I was thinking of something more towards gamers (14-28 year old crowd) as opposed to a multi-entertainment facility. I'd imagine the D&B would be more popular than my initial concept. But you wouldn't host a video game tournament at a D&B.

My idea was more dorky. Like a facility where kids (or adults) pay for an hour of time and can have a Warcraft tournament or something. And maybe have a larger area to hosts regional/national tournaments. Gaming is a big industry and "pros" exist on virtually every platform. A venue like the Epicenter would be a nice spot to house this concept. Or maybe not, I'm just babbling.

Someone said a 20 story apartment would be a no brainer for 210 Trade, but wouldn't the owners want to have a 50 story tower to support their retail?

I think 210 would be the perfect site for a new convention hotel + apartments

Anything much less than 50 stories is a waste of that site.

I'm the one that mentioned the ~25 story apartment building. While I agree that it would be nice to stick a 50 story one there instead, I just don't know how that's doable or if someone would actually build something that tall now. I could be wrong as I'm no construction expert. But, given reasons such as what ah59396 stated above, I think there is a safety risk that would have to be looked at. It was a lot easier build a tower and run the Epicentre when there were only a handful of places open back in 2008. As far as convention center hotel, there has been one rumored near the actual convention center (1,000 rooms). I believe that would be part of the city's Super Bowl bid if that were to happen. 

Edited by wend28

How would they manage construction of even a 20 story building above all the people below? I feel like they would have to close half of the epicenter for safety purposes.

lots of scaffolding and plywood. actually, given the tourist aspect of epicenter, I could see them building some kind of "temporary roof" that would be somewhat interesting/aesthetically nifty. either way, it can be done while leaving day-to-day business uneffected

• 4 weeks later...

Mez is closing!!!!! I think its as a result of the Lawsuit against Ghazi Last year. From what I understand Epicentre Theatres, Mez and the Nightclub were all very successful, I expect it a new concept to be rolled out in a timely fashion.

^Not surprised - I was expecting this as lawsuit you mentioned previously talked about how neither Mez,  the Theaters, or Kazba (which Ghazi had an ownership stake in) ever paid rent.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see closing notices (or at least change of ownership/management companies) for Theartes and Kazba shortly.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Mez/theatre spaces physically separated as two different businesses without physical access to each other

Edited by Urbanity

The restaurant already was casual for the theater part.  They briefly tried to convert it to the upscale mez food/pricing, but seemed to shift back to burgers and pizzas although still with a slightly.

I'm fine with any concept that keeps the theater decently upscale.  I'm nervous of a standard Regal or AMC taking over and turning into just another run of the mill.  

As long as it's not some awful AMC or Regal chain, I'm fine with it. I think they need to stick with a similar concept it order for it to be successful. It seems the new ownership group is hell bent on getting rid of the Ghazi stench -- a good thing IMO. I'm not familiar with that Austin, TX brand, but it does sound interesting. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/01/new-owners-to-reopen-epicentre-cinema.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-01-17

New clues are that it is out of state owners, but good that they plan to keep the "style" similar.  

It looks like the semi-useless lowest few rows will be removed for restaurant tables or something.  I'm sure if they operate similar venues that they'll have some experience in how to run it well and not ruin the good aspects of this venue.  Just still hoping they choose a slightly lower price point for movie tickets.  

^ I think tickets are what, $13 instead of the $10 you'd pay at a regular theater? I kind of expect that and am ok with it, and having a bar and restaurant attached, I'm getting a gin and tonic for the price a normal theater would charge me for a bottle of water.

I think putting restaurant tables in will be more useless than the first few rows currently are, but oh well. Just hope its not distracting.

I think Epicenter's prices are reasonable. I went to see two movies there recently on Saturdays with my girlfriend. I think we went around 5:30 and paid $10 per ticket.

Soda's have free refills and of course there is always beer that you can't get a regular theater.

I think it's a solid value honestly.

I'm with ya Workman (nice Lost reference btw).  Epicentre is the only theater I go to because it's too tough to schedule a movie and dinner when most movies start at 7pm. So the combo is great - and I love that we don't have to deal with teenagers/kids.  I'd say the business model is working for the theater portion at least - usually seems pretty full when I go. The Mez Restaurant, however, never got going. 

Here's to hoping they maintain the parking validation for patrons of the theater though. That would be a game-changer. 

I like the movie theater, and I think the price/value is appropriate. It's the only one I go to because I can access it by walking, biking or transit. The thing that I think is a turn off for many people is the "dress code" and the bouncer on weekend nights. If you're just going to the movies you can still get in, but it's not apparent you can do that. You just have to know from experience. If I'm visiting Charlotte or not familiar with uptown, I assume that place isn't for me. IMO, they need to address that problem first. How many "upscale club/bar" things do we really need in the Epicentre?