210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

lol no kidding! Wife and I decided to go check out a movie there. We get the hairy eyeball from the bouncer whom we assure that we are there "just to watch a movie"

I can't remember if the show time was sold out or what but the place was packed and we didn't get tickets but decided to at least check the place out so we go upstairs and everyone is in club-wear and there's a nearly naked girl dancing in the window.

lol? Granted this had to have been a Friday or Saturday night. I'm sure Monday night would be different.

It is different on weekdays. I've been to movies there on Tuesday nights or in the afternoon and it was very laid back, but of course you still get to take advantage of the bar. Usually though I tended to wind up going in at 7:00 or so on a Friday or Saturday, perfectly quiet and no bouncer, to walk out after the movie to that full on club scene. I always thought that was kind of fun considering it's not my scene at all, but interesting to experience for about 10 minutes as you leave. 

My favorite visit to Mez was during CIAA a few years ago.  It was private party hosted by DJ Jazzy Jeff.   We were waiting in line until everyone guessed because our of the obvious differences in complexion and dress that we were only there to watch a movie.  

Sounds fine, somewhat generic though. I just wanted to make sure they keep the bar if they get rid of the club atmosphere. If that is the intent, all they'd have to do is not blast club music at night and voila, no more club scene. I am betting that they don't end trying TOO hard to undo whats already been established with the interior.

Sounds fine, somewhat generic though. I just wanted to make sure they keep the bar if they get rid of the club atmosphere. If that is the intent, all they'd have to do is not blast club music at night and voila, no more club scene. I am betting that they don't end trying TOO hard to undo whats already been established with the interior.

I think this will hurt Kazba a lot however if they get rid of the 'clubby' scene of former Mez.....and Kazba is one of my favorite places in CLT

Studio Movie Grill replacing Mez, theater at EpiCentre

Studio Movie Grill is taking over the Mez and EpiCentre Theaters space uptown, and plans to open a 30,000-square foot restaurant and movie theater in late February.

Moderators Note: Removed pasted text from Observer article.

Edited by Spartan
Per UrbanPlanet rules, do not copy and paste entire articles onto the forum. Thanks.

Studio Movie Grill is a weird name...  kinda like naming a dog bar Kennel K-9 Bar, or a steakhouse house slaughtered cow. The words are either jumbled or missing a conjunction or preposition or something...

• Like 1

Never thought I'd reminisce for Ghazi's classiness.  

"Studio Movie Grill" ayfkm!?  

Pretty much, I read the codewords as meaning it will be a tacky Texan movie house chain with fried Sysco bar food.  Let's hope their movie decisions are not in this spirit of trying to make Epicenter "family friendly" with a LifeWay next door.   

:sick:

^^Hahaha, it's not as bad as all that. Here's some pictures of the interior to give you an idea of what to expect.

8246848041_b59421f191_z.jpg

Although most are stand alone, so I can't the exterior facade being very similar to the above.

Maybe something more like below.

image-studio-movie-grill-02.jpg

and some examples of the interior.

7181459085_5759e5bea3_z.jpg

1200107_tl.jpg
l.jpg

6348856172_95b138eb6b_z.jpg

and the ladies like it
Studio-Movie-Grill-option-2-dec11.jpg
6150579620_dd12a59523_z.jpg

Here's a link to the Menu (Georgia since it's the closest in prox)

Maybe ours will be a little more Charlotte/Carolina geared, and have local craft beers and BBQ.

Like I said, s'alright experience.

Edited by RVA2CLT

Does the one on the right ^ come with the movie?? :shades:

Meh, I'm not picky... I'll take all of em. :yahoo:

Seriously though the name doesn't matter all that much.  When people go to a movie there they are going to say they saw it at the epicenter.

That said if they sell craft beers they should create a tag line Studio Movie Grill. Weird name, amazing/great/awesome/etc... movie food beer.

Edited by DEnd

It fits the venue of Epicenter.

Personally I would loved to have seen an Angelika Film Center here.
You would have a the creme' of of the big box movies, but more important a local venue to screen independent, international, film festival and even local/regional/student films along with, less importantly, alcohol and cafe' type food.

However, I do not see the current Epicenter clientele/regulars as being as.. how can I say this without sounding douchey...   well.. not being as culturally involved and interested to support and fully utilize such a Cinema hous.

It's a shame though.. as the Angelika in Dallas is at a mixed use TOD called Mockingbird Station and is as close to the Epicenter/ CTC Station as it gets.

Mockingbird%20Station.jpg

spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

4832861946_50bc3d9866_z.jpg

Arial view of the entire station and TOD development.

6679662375_568f340482_b.jpg

Even though this is TOD, it totally feels more more like the Metropolitan development when you're there

Edited by RVA2CLT

I agree that the art film market is completely undeserved in Charlotte.   I actually would love to see two more such film houses in Charlotte - one (envisioned in my mind)  in Downtown around new developments between First Ward Park and the NC Dance Theater studios on North Tryon, and another in NoDa.

BTW - These type of thearters need not be large,.  One of my favorites in NY was the Quad Cinema in NYC that was the base of a narrow six story building on 13th street.  Granted the theaters were tiny and the lobby was pretty nonexistent  but they had a continuous stream on first run independent, art films often balanced with 1 or 2 lower key (or near the end of their run) major releases with a continuous crowd of film lovers. 

13w34.01b.photo.jpg

Edited by Urbanity

• 1 month later...