Best Western/Hoffman House Closing

localtalent

• 6 months later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Hoffman House reminds me of something my father said about its exterior aesthetic immediately after it was built: "Sort of looks like it has acne".

As a result, we called it the "Acne Inn" for its entire history in that location.

1) fox moved the mitsubishi dealership to 29h street a while ago, its now a kia dealership though

2) the hoffman house site seems like its way to small for a meijer, walmart or most bix boxes as they need a lot of parking also there is just about every bix box nearby and none of them seem to be outdated yet, I would think fox would keep expanding their dealerships maybe move the hyundia up there or have a speacialty used lot like the old zoom dealership that they bought.

3) theres a hilton garden being built on e. beltline? Is there any more info on it? I heard plans for one on broadmoor and s. beltline, but that was years ago, do they need another hotel in that area, these are ussually like 8 stories and nice places being along a highway.

1) fox moved the mitsubishi dealership to 29h street a while ago, its now a kia dealership though

2) the hoffman house site seems like its way to small for a meijer, walmart or most bix boxes as they need a lot of parking also there is just about every bix box nearby and none of them seem to be outdated yet, I would think fox would keep expanding their dealerships maybe move the hyundia up there or have a speacialty used lot like the old zoom dealership that they bought.

3) theres a hilton garden being built on e. beltline? Is there any more info on it? I heard plans for one on broadmoor and s. beltline, but that was years ago, do they need another hotel in that area, these are ussually like 8 stories and nice places being along a highway.

Any redevelopment should think bigger than just the Ford property. Duthler could have reoriented the Ford dealership towards 29th Street and developed a liner of new shops on the north face of the existing building. With a few other new buildings and a grand boulevard entrance he could have created a retail destination with a "main street" extending from Broadmoor to East Paris.

327492708_d535974f2e_b.jpg

327492615_c29972feab_b.jpg

WZZM 13 had a piece about redevelopment around the area of 28th St and East Beltline Ave last night on the news. There isn't a video on the internet, but the text of the story is here.

An interesting tidbit of info:

Although Dan DeVos of Fox Motors wouldn't confirm the move, he did say they are demolishing the old Best Western on 28th street. They'll decide in the spring if that will be the dealership's new home.

Nice Civitas. That really makes sense to combine the properties and build something on a large scale. I also like the street through the middle of the development. Parking lots can be a dangerous place when they feed into multiple stores (I think Best Buy on the Beltline is the best example of taking your life into your own hands when parking. :)

Joe

Hey Civitas, isn't that your sketchup on Knape's Blog? :) Was this you just throwing in your ideas or are you part of the potential project?

I drove by the site last night and it would seem that one of the biggest eyesore/obstacle to a contiguous development would be the Motel 6. Everything else looks like it could be acquired / torn down.

Joe

Hey Civitas, isn't that your sketchup on Knape's Blog? :) Was this you just throwing in your ideas or are you part of the potential project?

I drove by the site last night and it would seem that one of the biggest eyesore/obstacle to a contiguous development would be the Motel 6. Everything else looks like it could be acquired / torn down.

Joe

• 10 months later...

Now we know what's happening at this site of the old Midway Motor Lodge/Hoffman House:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

Fox Motor Group to build new den

Thursday, November 22, 2007

By Julie Makarewicz

The Grand Rapids Press

KENTWOOD -- Fox Motor Group hopes to start construction this spring on a new 28th Street facility to combine its Kia and Hyundai dealerships.

Fox has purchased about 15 acres at 4101 28th St. SE and 4100 Sparks Drive SE -- east of East Paris Avenue on the north side of 28th Street. The Midway Motor Lodge that occupied part of the site was demolished earlier this year.

The car dealership will use about 11 acres. Two smaller lots on Sparks Drive are planned to be sold for future commercial development.

Archived