1115 Taylor NW

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot of visible progress on the outside of the building, but recently they've been putting in the buildings new windows.

This photo isn't very flattering to the building. I took it at 6pm yesterday so the sun was not at a good angle.

2434533116_14df7c5519_b.jpg

Not a lot of visible progress on the outside of the building, but recently they've been putting in the buildings new windows.

This photo isn't very flattering to the building. I took it at 6pm yesterday so the sun was not at a good angle.

2434533116_14df7c5519_b.jpg

Those new Pella's are pretty nice though! We also knocked down the old Schafsma building.

Inside the new stairs and the elevator are going in. The common areas are getting framed in and a whole bunch of "pesky" infrastructure work is ongoing.

So, question UPers...do you think a uniform brick stain would look better or worse (that is stain, NOT paint)? We have not really decided.

FWIW -

My first inclination was leave it as it -- I've got a wabi sabi sensibility, but realize that I'm a bit out of the mainstream . . .

Also was in agreement with Eridony's "can't comment because I don't know what brick stain looks like" as well as Sailor's observations. GRDadof3's suggestion makes a lot of sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

O'Brien and O'Brien dentists at the 1503 Coit (right behind the Red Ball Jet Cafe) supposedly did this and it looks pretty good. That project won a neighborhood ventures award last year for renovation.

I agree - that building looks fabulous. If you can make your project brick look like the 1503 Coit building, I say atta boy!

PS- I am Jones-ing to get in and see this building - any UP dates set yet? I will be at this bar 2-3 times a week, or as much as my wallet and liver will allow. Atta boy, Dave!

• 1 month later...

So, any update on this place? The exterior looks to be coming along pretty well and the parking lot seems mostly done (and is pretty huge).

When will the inside be complete enough for a tour? Any more details on the restaurant? :)

We rode by here on my PedalGR ride tonight and I was wondering what the status was. Will anything be done with that spot in the 3rd photo above where the building was torn down? It looked like foundation around the perimeter was still there. We actually thought maybe they were building something else in that spot until I looked at the photos in this thread.

Inquiring minds want to know! :) (and they want to know what beers will be on tap, but they know that is still a ways off)

• 1 month later...

Any NEWS? Where is G-Ha when we need her? I am anxious to see what this place will have to offer when it opens (Sept-Oct?). Recently in Cincinnati for a weekend, I spent some time at a German Bier Garden called the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, Kentucky. This place was friggin awesome! It featured a huge indoor beer hall atmosphere complete with picnic table seating and a stage for the polka bands, but the real gem was the outdoor biergarten - games like beanbags and shuffleboard where being played outside, small trees with little lights all over them, and an abundance of people - Grand Rapids need a niche place like this. Picture the old Schnitztelbank mixed with Founders. Hopefully 1115 Taylor offers some sort of outdoor venue.

Any NEWS? Where is G-Ha when we need her? I am anxious to see what this place will have to offer when it opens (Sept-Oct?). Recently in Cincinnati for a weekend, I spent some time at a German Bier Garden called the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, Kentucky. This place was friggin awesome! It featured a huge indoor beer hall atmosphere complete with picnic table seating and a stage for the polka bands, but the real gem was the outdoor biergarten - games like beanbags and shuffleboard where being played outside, small trees with little lights all over them, and an abundance of people - Grand Rapids need a niche place like this. Picture the old Schnitztelbank mixed with Founders. Hopefully 1115 Taylor offers some sort of outdoor venue.

So, apparently one of the other uses of this place is a new Black Box theater that will serve as a home for the local Dog Story Theater company, which had been operating at the old Gateway School at 311 State. I hadn't seen anything about this until Amy (my wife) mentioned an article in the Press yesterday.

http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/i...&thispage=1

The theater website is pretty sparse, and doesn't even have the other shows mentioned in the Press article. The dates for the current run are not prominently posted (you have to access the dropdown box in the ticket purchase space). I also couldn't find an entry on GRnow.com. :dontknow: I also couldn't find a listing for the Jazz at John Ball Park tonight. Usually almost everything is up there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived