Beautiful Day for a Car Wash

gobdol

Hi guys,

My wife and I moved here last August. And after the long winter, it's been so nice to enjoy these beautiful, warm days recently.

So my car was due for a washing. Living in an apartment, I decided it would be easier to go to a full service car wash and wash off any of the winter residue off of my car.

I went to the only car wash I've seen on 985 N Main St. I was a bit disappointed. I got the Supreme wash package which was basically the works. Vacuum, wax, washing the rubber mats, armor-all the tires, ... etc.

For some reason, they only washed two of my mats, I had to personally ask them to wash the other two. And then I had to ask them to put on the Armor-all on my tires. I think all in all, I was disappointed because it seemed like they didn't pay attention to details and didn't really take pride in their work. I expected more for paying $17 for a car wash. Maybe I've been spoiled coming from California...

Anyways, I thought I would share my experience and ask for your recommendations on other car wash that you have used in the area.

-Herman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

My wife and I moved here last August. And after the long winter, it's been so nice to enjoy these beautiful, warm days recently.

So my car was due for a washing. Living in an apartment, I decided it would be easier to go to a full service car wash and wash off any of the winter residue off of my car.

I went to the only car wash I've seen on 985 N Main St. I was a bit disappointed. I got the Supreme wash package which was basically the works. Vacuum, wax, washing the rubber mats, armor-all the tires, ... etc.

For some reason, they only washed two of my mats, I had to personally ask them to wash the other two. And then I had to ask them to put on the Armor-all on my tires. I think all in all, I was disappointed because it seemed like they didn't pay attention to details and didn't really take pride in their work. I expected more for paying $17 for a car wash. Maybe I've been spoiled coming from California...

Anyways, I thought I would share my experience and ask for your recommendations on other car wash that you have used in the area.

-Herman

i haven't used it, but my fiancee has... i can't think of the name, but it's on pleasant valley parkway (aka dean st, oakland ave, raymond st, etc). it's at the shell station there (which is one of the cheapest gas stations in the city). i wanna say it's called vintage car wash or something like that (it starts with a V). they do a pretty good job.

ok, i just looked it up... it's called finest car wash (i was way off).

i've also heard good things about freeway car wash on westminster st in olneyville sq.

i haven't used it, but my fiancee has... i can't think of the name, but it's on pleasant valley parkway (aka dean st, oakland ave, raymond st, etc). it's at the shell station there (which is one of the cheapest gas stations in the city). i wanna say it's called vintage car wash or something like that (it starts with a V). they do a pretty good job.

ok, i just looked it up... it's called finest car wash (i was way off).

I'd have to second that... and for not too much more they have a small team vacuum and spray down the inside of your car. I wish I had something like that over here. The same service that costs something like $15 there would cost me $50 here. I'm too lazy to vacuum my own car if it's only a few bucks more than a carwash, but for $50 including wash ... forget it

Ah, given my automotive obsession, this is a topic close to my heart...

For expensive cars, many recommend not using "commercial" washes at all (with their chemicals, cheap spray on waxes, revolving brushes/rags that can cause scratches, etc). There's no substitute for washing yourself...

Which you actually can do, even living in an apartment. My self wash of choice is the one on Taunton Ave in East Providence almost right across from the Duck Pin Bowling alley... It's cheap (I can do a great self wash, with foaming brush, for less than $4 in quarters easy), has strong hoses, and vacuums that actually pick stuff up.

If you want others to do it for you, try Atherton's Coach Works, (401) 421-5764, 212 4th St in Hope Village (East Side Hope and Rochambeau area). For about 7-17 dollars depending upon package, they'll hand wash the outside, the windows inside and out, the rims, and they'll vacuum the interior, and they do a great job and usually do it in 5-10 minutes. Their hours are limited and they are busy, so call ahead of time to check out how long the wait is.

- Garris

Which you actually can do, even living in an apartment. My self wash of choice is the one on Taunton Ave in East Providence almost right across from the Duck Pin Bowling alley... It's cheap (I can do a great self wash, with foaming brush, for less than $4 in quarters easy), has strong hoses, and vacuums that actually pick stuff up.

I 'll second Garris's recommendation of the Taunton Ave. self-wash. In fact, in the winter they actually pump lukewarm/warm water through so you can even wash there without getting completely frozen. I wash my own at my house in the summer, but in the late fall and early spring, I always use the Taunton ave place, and then stop at Sax's for steak sandwich.

- Garris

I also go here. $4???????????? I put in 4 quarters for a wash and 4 more for the rinse.

I guess I should have been careful with what I wished for.

I walked out today after making my previous post and found green tree pollen all over my car! :shok: We parked under a tree without noticing last night. (The same stuff that has given me misery the past few days in allergies has now struck my car.)

I also go here. $4???????????? I put in 4 quarters for a wash and 4 more for the rinse.

The foaming brush takes some time, and I pay some special attention to the rims... If I didn't do those two things, you're right, it would be a $2 wash...

- Garris

Archived