Grand Rapids - 1873 Map

GRGyp

While digging around trying to find an answer to a question on another thread, I uncovered this little gem. A very impressive interactive map of Grand Rapids from 1873. It was kind of interesting to see the city foot print from 130 years ago, with the ability to zoom in and find names of streets no longer in existance.

Care to meet on the corner of Official and Monroe? How about Waterloo and Ferry? Greenwich and Fulton?

http://www.davidrumsey.com/maps740034-22422.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty crazy seeing Division just end like that. I'm guessing 131 was built/designated some time after.

Now if you want to see another historic gem, head to Afendoulis drycleaners up on Michigan and Fuller. I was getting measured for a tux there, and noticed a poster on the wall where they display all their tuxes. It was photograph of downtown Grand Rapids from the mid '80's. Walk in sometime and you'll be impressed with the "then and now" effect.

Basically take everything south of the Amway Plaza and level it. Put in a giant Greyhound bus terminal and a few 6 to 8 story brick buildings and you'll get an idea of what the poster looks like. If you think GR hasn't made progress in 20 years, that poster will change your mind in a hurry.

Remember the rumors regarding a marina being part of "Project X"? There used to be a steamboat channel and steamboat landing (right under present-day US 131) at that location.

x6kl53.jpg

whoa, thats cool!

Now if you want to see another historic gem, head to Afendoulis drycleaners up on Michigan and Fuller. I was getting measured for a tux there, and noticed a poster on the wall where they display all their tuxes. It was photograph of downtown Grand Rapids from the mid '80's. Walk in sometime and you'll be impressed with the "then and now" effect.

Basically take everything south of the Amway Plaza and level it. Put in a giant Greyhound bus terminal and a few 6 to 8 story brick buildings and you'll get an idea of what the poster looks like. If you think GR hasn't made progress in 20 years, that poster will change your mind in a hurry.

When I have enough money for gas again xD I'll definately take a trip up there and check it out. It just love seeing old pictures and maps of the region.

Remember the rumors regarding a marina being part of "Project X"? There used to be a steamboat channel and steamboat landing (right under present-day US 131) at that location.

x6kl53.jpg

That's why the city has always called their property "the island."

Archived