McDonald's Expensive Makeover

The latest out of Oak Brook is a new prototype design for McDonald's restaurants which will cost over $1m to buikld from the ground up and at least $3-400K in renovations for exisitng stores. As noted in the article, this is close to the profit margin of a McDonald's. The designs are a considerable improvement over the existing schlock. Until there is a sea change in their food, I won't be darkening their doors.

BusinessWeek Online

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I used to eat at in college drove me nuts. Sometimes they would put a bunch of crates and stuff in front of the stairs so nobody would go up to the second floor. Trouble is, they didn't check to see if anyone was already up there. So one day I came down the stairs and found myself blocked in. I had to push through their makeshift baracade to get out. When I brought this to their attention, they basically brushed me off, saying "Well, you got through."

Hello, fire hazard? LOL

Ok so this doesn't really contribute to the thread, but I like sharing this story.

Ok so this doesn't really contribute to the thread, but I like sharing this story.

It contributes in the fact that it's going to take a lot more than sage green paint schemes to turn the place around. All the sage green paint in the world won't change things if people are blocked on the second floor during a fire, or all the surfaces have a thin (or not so thin) layer of slime on them, or it takes 20 minutes for someone to take your order because the turn around of staff is like a revolving door, and they don't pay enough to retain anyone with a brain.

Why can't McDonalds just accept the fact that they're a sh!tty fast food chain and just leave it at that!? They keep trying to be special, and why? We all secretly love their food and go there when nobody's looking, so why keep trying to change? I don't want a fancy McDonald's, if I did I would go somewhere nice. Give me a two cheeseburger meal with greasy fries and let me eat it at a disgusting booth caked in stickyness. Any other way would just be odd.

We all secretly love their food and go there when nobody's looking

I'm very happy the closest one to Downtown Providence (or at least closest to the part of Downtown I'm usually in) is on North Main Street, and I don't own a car so I have to walk there and back if I decide to go, so I can reassure myself that it is OK since I walked there. Though I'd probably have to walk 3 times as far to actually make up for the 'food' I ate.

There's a pretty slick looking Mickey D's on an exit off of I-75 in Ohio, Findlay maybe...it has fireplaces, big screen TVs, beautiful tile and comfortable chairs. Actually, much more inviting than any of the Starbucks I've been too.

I haven't seen any McDonald's as nice anywhere else.

There's a pretty slick looking Mickey D's on an exit off of I-75 in Ohio, Findlay maybe...it has fireplaces, big screen TVs, beautiful tile and comfortable chairs. Actually, much more inviting than any of the Starbucks I've been too.

I haven't seen any McDonald's as nice anywhere else.

They have some nice ones here and there, that's the whole problem with this concept store business. They should allow the francisees more lattitude to build to the needs of the location. On Cape Cod they built or retrofitted a number of franchises into these grey shingled cottages. They were very much of the local vernacular, but surrounded by surface parking as they were, they still blew. A few years later and they've all be painted with that horrid yellow and red scheme. :sick:

The McDonald's in Freeport, Maine is in an old home, white clapboards and all (photo). It fits right in, you barely see the arches. Allow the stores to fit into their environment better. The local franchisees should know what their local clients want from the place.

The only nice Micky D's ive ever been to were in Europe

I actually went to an ornate (for fast food) Burger King in the middle of nowhere between the border with New York and Montreal. We called it the "burger king castle". Not only were the interior and facade built to look like a castle, but the lights were even dim giving you that same amount of lighting you'd probably get from candles.

I only eat at McDonald's a couple times a year to avoid future healt complications, LOL

But anyway, I think we should take these makeovers as something very positive. It appears McDonald's interiors are going to make a bit more of an architectural statement, instead of the current generic, stale atmosphere. I've been in a few that have had recent makeovers. One had a nice fireplace, and the chairs and tables had a sophisticated appearance instead of the crappy aluminum and plastic seats. The paint schemes were nice and visually appealing. As far as the exteriors, I like the contemporary example. It might work more effectively in suburbs, but I'm starting to see some urban examples that do a match to the architecture around them, and don't look cheaply done either. A couple were done as infill and have offsite parking which means they maximize the lot.

So while their food may not be improving, at least their physical presence is better.

McD has a problem and it is multifaceted. First the corporate guys earn far too much just like other corp guys. They really need to pay reasonable wages with complete health care. This would possibly attract some employees that at least give a half of a care.

Someone posted about the mop. They use a mop, but it goes into the water, out and onto the floor and it goes in circles all over the kitchen floor and dining room floors. It never makes it back into the bucket until they are finished...thus, the oil from the kitchen is just pushed into the dining room. Worse, the dirt that is on the floor isn't really cleaned up, it is just RELOCATED to another part of the store.

I hear employees tell the others " I don't care about him/her". They don't care about the store or its customers. The stores are usually reasonably clean, however their bathrooms are so dirty I would rather use a bush. I wonder what microorganisms are NOT growing in there.

I don't eat there unless I am traveling and I am in a hurry between planes. When I do eat there, I swear I can hear my arteries closing in.

Personally, I would love to see all the employees on the big corporations at one time, walk out and demand better pay, health insurance, and the company to contribute funds to the parks, state, schools etc.

Perhaps in leiu of their heafty salary and far fetched perks. But that is another topic.

McD has more visual problems. The floors are tacky tiles that harbor dirt and grime.

I will stick to just cooking for myself - at least I know what I am eating.

A local McDonald's location supposedly spent as much as $1.5 million to tear down & rebuild.

It will take forever-and-a-day for them to sell enough burgers and fries

to make up for that kind of expenditure.

Actually you'd be suprised how much some of these places make, there is a Burger King near me that consistantly makes over $1 million per year in profits. I think most make around $500k though, not sure.

Actually you'd be suprised how much some of these places make, there is a Burger King near me that consistantly makes over $1 million per year in profits. I think most make around $500k though, not sure.

Yes, the one (Burger King) on Exit 6 on the Mid-Cape Highway on Cape Cod seems to totally tear itself down and build a new bigger building every few years. You need to be bringing in some big bucks to make that work. Of course one right on the main highway in a resort area is going to make a lot, but even some of the ones that are in less travelled areas make big bucks. I mean the drive-thru is really just a big cash drawer, they barely have to do any work to get that drive-thru money.

McD has a problem and it is multifaceted. First the corporate guys earn far too much just like other corp guys. They really need to pay reasonable wages with complete health care. This would possibly attract some employees that at least give a half of a care.

Someone posted about the mop. They use a mop, but it goes into the water, out and onto the floor and it goes in circles all over the kitchen floor and dining room floors. It never makes it back into the bucket until they are finished...thus, the oil from the kitchen is just pushed into the dining room. Worse, the dirt that is on the floor isn't really cleaned up, it is just RELOCATED to another part of the store.

The cleanliness (or lack thereof) and the wages go hand in hand. People don't make enough money to make the effort to clean. A Starbucks has a huge amount of food moving through it, but they are generally very clean, their employees make much better money and benefits, so they actually care.

You are all expressing widely held views of the public. But take it from an industry insider. Make no mistake, Mcdonalds is a corporate machine, they are highly profitable, they are somewhere over 50 percent of the restaurant Industry. Mcdonalds re-images itself about every 15 - 20 years, it has the cash to do it. For as much as they have a negative image, the views here are widely expressed thru out the public. They still can beat customers with sticks pretty much and be up 10 percent.

There is a two-fold problem, when it comes to the management of the restaurants, and the low wages and benefits and treatments of the average employees. First problem, turnover in fast food is so high, it's hard to get the employees in, train them and keep them, to improve the dining experience. This could all be remedied, by offering employees more incentive to stay, but the people who own the restaurants have to pay so much in royalties, to the company, they really cant afford to offer benefits. Contrary to popular theory, it costs so much to manage these restaurants, that after they pay mcdonalds to use the name of the brand. They are left with pennies on the dollar. Mcdonalds image problem, could be greatly improved, if they would focus on the worker bee's. But they are making money, hand over fist, the company is believe it or not healthy. You have to give the boys in Oakbrook credit. They dominate.

I don't work for Mcdonalds, I work for another brand, where we are constantly trying to compete and stay ahead of the boys in the big shoes. It's a GAURANTEE, that if you are driving down a road full of restaurants, the Mcdonalds is almost 2 to 1 the busiest.

There's a McDonald's near us in the Northern Grand Rapids area that looks a lot like a Panera on the inside, even with a small stone fireplace, and in the kids play area they have free video game consoles that you can jump on. Still hardly anyone there, evar. Only thing busy is the drive through. Too much competition in that area.

trust me, it's busier than u think.

Then why is there never anyone there? Is it all drive through sales? I've been there at lunch and dinner time, weekdays and weekends, and you could roll a bowling ball through that place and not hit anyone. The new QDoba up the street, on the other hand, is always busy.

Then why is there never anyone there? Is it all drive through sales? I've been there at lunch and dinner time, weekdays and weekends, and you could roll a bowling ball through that place and not hit anyone. The new QDoba up the street, on the other hand, is always busy.

The Mcdonalds you are talking about is the one on Northland Dr, it does do an average volume of sales. It had years of mismanagement, and the company forced the gentleman who owned it into retirement. It makes in the range of 1.6 mill a year in sales, Industry standard is right around 1.3. My point however, was that no matter what negative opinion u have of Mcdonalds, It kicks everyone elses butt when it comes down to business.

It would cost them a lot less money if they would just clean their current stores once in a while. Just drag a mop through the place once a week or so.

I guess I've been blessed by well-managed McDonalds. I usually go to the one in my hometown, and I have great envy for that store. I work in fast-food as well, was working at a store across the street from the Wayland McD's for about a year and a half, and even as an assistant manager I could not seem to keep my store as clean as theirs. I just don't know how they do it.

It all varies by management. Some franchise owners seriously want the best for their customers and will do whatever is necessary to make their eating experience good.

On the other hand I did get pretty pissed off at a McDonald's today. I thought about this thread and decided to head their for the first time in like a half a year.

I ordered a McFlurry and this dude fills it up 1/3 of the way.

I was like "Yo man, what's up with this...fill it up more please"

In reply he says "That's how we normally fill them up."

"Hell no! Fill it up more now!"

He did, and took forever, just like it too him forever to fill it up when I ordered it. The line was so backed up too in front of me.

But I've been to McDonald's all over the place that have had superb service, clean restrooms and dining areas and from time to time, a well designed restaurant space. Goes to show it's all about management.

You are all expressing widely held views of the public. But take it from an industry insider. Make no mistake, Mcdonalds is a corporate machine, they are highly profitable, they are somewhere over 50 percent of the restaurant Industry. Mcdonalds re-images itself about every 15 - 20 years, it has the cash to do it. For as much as they have a negative image, the views here are widely expressed thru out the public. They still can beat customers with sticks pretty much and be up 10 percent.

There is a two-fold problem, when it comes to the management of the restaurants, and the low wages and benefits and treatments of the average employees. First problem, turnover in fast food is so high, it's hard to get the employees in, train them and keep them, to improve the dining experience. This could all be remedied, by offering employees more incentive to stay, but the people who own the restaurants have to pay so much in royalties, to the company, they really cant afford to offer benefits. Contrary to popular theory, it costs so much to manage these restaurants, that after they pay mcdonalds to use the name of the brand. They are left with pennies on the dollar. Mcdonalds image problem, could be greatly improved, if they would focus on the worker bee's. But they are making money, hand over fist, the company is believe it or not healthy. You have to give the boys in Oakbrook credit. They dominate.

I don't work for Mcdonalds, I work for another brand, where we are constantly trying to compete and stay ahead of the boys in the big shoes. It's a GAURANTEE, that if you are driving down a road full of restaurants, the Mcdonalds is almost 2 to 1 the busiest.

Being a student and knowing people that have worked at several different fast food restaurants, these are some things that I have heard:

McDonalds: (keep in mind, these are Franchises.. so it varies)

1. They don't tell you when your shift will end, only a starting time. They could let you go after 45 minutes, they could keep you 10 hours. This is especially dangerous for high school kids, which make up a significant proportion of their workforce.

2. No benefits. If you work there for 1 year, you received 1 week of paid vacation. That's it. You need the doctor, too bad.. or you'd better hope you qualify for MinnesotaCare.

3. Poor working hours. The young people have to work around a school schedule, so nights and weekends are a must. This can lead to burn out.

Mediocre:

1. Discounts on food. Food is 50% while you work at 30% when you don't work. Your friends are also entitled to discounts. The problem is, it encourages you to eat there, which is not healthy.

Plus:

1. The fast food climate in my city is very competitive and therefore you are entitled to frequent raises if you perform well. A 16 year old making $8.50/hr is doing pretty well, in my book. Especially if he/she is living at home.

The results?

Frequent turnover as older students find better jobs at hotels, retail stores, or apprentice type jobs for local companies.

I've noticed that Hardees, which pays slightly more and offers limited benefits retains workers at a much higher rate. They are also very keen on promoting people from within the store to management so people have something to work towards.

The result?

The atmosphere is much better. The restaurant is cleaner, despite being older. The food is brought to your table, freshly cooked. The workers are more content and thus more friendly. An 8 hour shift at Hardees won't break your back like it will at McDonalds so even in your 6th hour employees aren't moping like drones.

And besides, even though it's even worse for you, Hardees tastes way better :)

Archived