McDonald's Expensive Makeover

Mcdonalds Does not anywhere have an open ended scheduling policy. If you're working for an individual owner, policies vary, But you have a start time, and an end time. Corporate Mcdonalds offers its employees health care (albiet slim coverage) and acrued vacation time. In an entry level job you can't expect top of the line benefits. These individual owners often run orginizations that are too small to support things like that. The labor market is a free market, if you don't like where you work, you can get another job. That's why turnover in fast food is so high, and that's managements fault. Be careful what you put down as fact, it can be rumor mongering.

And the food may be bad for you, but noone forces anyone to eat it. In ten years of fast food I rarely if ever eat what I serve. I can't stand that mentality people have, that people don't know what's best for them, so other have to decide for you. Everyone knows that fast food is largely unhealthy, even salads have tons of calories. With that said, people still eat there, so if someone gets unhealthy from it, it's their own fault. Noone can argue that the restaurants are largely mismanaged. Thats true accross the board in Fast food.

But don't tell me that encouraging people to eat there is bad. Everyone who smokes by now HAS to know the dangers of it. Yet people still smoke. It's a hedonistic American culture, that allows people to destroy there bodies, when they know full well the risk, and then blame someone else for it.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me be up front and blunt about McDilly-Dangle-Dilly-Do-Da. The golden arches can make their stores look like King Tut's tomb or a the giant iPod with yellow Eye brows. They can Micky D's look like a Victorian Mansion on Knob Hill. They can even make it look, act, and feel like a five star resturunt in Paris complete with snooty, up-turned nosed waiters and a grand piano softly playing Mozart. No matter what shape and form McDanalds may morph into I still will not eat there. Why? The food sucks, and leaves the feeling of having rocks in my stomach for the next three days or so.

The only exeption to that rule is the McDanalds on Heart St. in Vincence, IN. They serve a breckfest buffet with excelant beskets and gravy. Don't look for your local Micky D's doing this as the Heart St. location is the only one I know of that does this. I think this is the case because the franchise owner knows that if they served crappy food, the local red necks would smash the place to bits with their pickup trucks. Thus the breckfest buffet keeps them content.

The cleanliness (or lack thereof) and the wages go hand in hand. People don't make enough money to make the effort to clean. A Starbucks has a huge amount of food moving through it, but they are generally very clean, their employees make much better money and benefits, so they actually care.

Most of the Starbucks i go to are college students that work there. Can't say the same about McDonalds.

McDonalds revolutionized the business model of food service and influenced the models of other industries as well. The McDonald's goal is employees that have to do as little and know as little as possible.

The true evil of McDonalds is that, sometimes, it hitsthe spot like nothing else.

We're all doomed.

Check out Fast Food Nation or Chew On This....both by Eric Schlosser. Diatribes to be sure, but interesting food for thought.

It was said in "men's health" this month that the people with the highest potato consumption rate are the most likely to get diabetes. This includes baked, mashed, and scalloped as well as french fried. The starches just turn to sugar too quickly. They say the best way to eat the potatoes are actually the fat ridden appetizers at restaurant chains that include bacon and cheese. The protein slows down the digestion process and you get less sugar from the potato, of which you are gettin less of the starchy meat and more of the vitamin full skin. Why people cut the skin off the potatoes when making mashed potatoes, when it saves a lot of time and actually provides you with vitamins, is beyond me.

• 2 months later...

It was said in "men's health" this month that the people with the highest potato consumption rate are the most likely to get diabetes. This includes baked, mashed, and scalloped as well as french fried. The starches just turn to sugar too quickly. They say the best way to eat the potatoes are actually the fat ridden appetizers at restaurant chains that include bacon and cheese. The protein slows down the digestion process and you get less sugar from the potato, of which you are gettin less of the starchy meat and more of the vitamin full skin. Why people cut the skin off the potatoes when making mashed potatoes, when it saves a lot of time and actually provides you with vitamins, is beyond me.

I guess I'll have to look forward to purchasing a meter and some testing strips and poking fingers because mash potatos is my favorite food.

• 1 month later...

Archived