First freeway ramp roundabout under construction in Saginaw

wolverine

Michigan's first freeway ramp roundabout will be constructed in Saginaw at M-81 and I-75. I'm not too familiar on what people think of them but they look efficient. M-81 has a lot of truck traffic. I wonder how massive tractor trailers will do on those curves.

Here's a link to more info on MDOT's website

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-...40947--,00.html

Here's an awesome artist's rendition:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_M-8..._1_155180_7.pdf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan's first freeway ramp roundabout will be constructed in Saginaw at M-81 and I-75. I'm not too familiar on what people think of them but they look efficient. M-81 has a lot of truck traffic. I wonder how massive tractor trailers will do on those curves.

Here's a link to more info on MDOT's website

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-...40947--,00.html

Here's an awesome artist's rendition:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_M-8..._1_155180_7.pdf

im not quite sure where that is. Is that the one with the gas station and the burger king at the exit? i think it is, but i can quite tell from the rendering.

is there like a tire place and maybe like a small warehouse or factory type thing there?

im trying to figure out where this is, because its the road i use when i get on 75 sometimes when i go up north.

Looks neat. I've only used one roundabout myself. It wasn't that bad, but then the traffic at that intersection was never that busy when I would go there. Hopefully it works out well at this location.

Yeah, I think what comes to people's minds are the roundabouts at 4 way intersections in London where turns are a bit more severe. The people that make the most severe turns are when they have to make a left. And you usually use the most caution when making left turns anyway, so I doubt people will be taking these at high speeds.

i think there is a Flying J in Kalkaska.

A Flying J in Kalkaska?!? I can't think of anything even close to the Flying J name in Kalkaska. Their website lists Saginaw, Lansing, Benton Harbor, as well as future locations in Belleville, Monroe, and Whiteford (translation: Ottawa Lake).

And regarding those circles, there's no way that they can make big circles there unless they move the existing ramps further away from the overpass. Looking at the aerial, I think that is that what they are going to do.

LOL, all this discussion about what's off that interchange. I don't know about that other stuff, but I only get off there to buy Rapsnacks at a ghetto convenience store since we can't find them in the Ann Arbor area. haha, but really though I buy those because my friends think they are the greatest.

There is actually really not all that much off this interchange except some warehouses, truck repair shops and the East Side. The ramp is recongizable in that it sits between the Z-bridge and I-675 interchange. The bridge is also constructed of reinforced concrete instead of structural steel because loads across it are higher than normal. If you drive along M-81 you can frequently see the large trucks carrying vats of molten aluminum to SMCO.

i think its the Saginaw Metal Casting operation

and lol, i am still super confused about where this is!!!

does it have a sunoco?

:D

I already said, it's got a Sunoco/Burger King in the SE quadrant and a Flying J/Wendy's in the NW quadrant. I believe it's exit #151 off I-75.

Archived