Midtown Charleston

vicupstate

^But would a monumental classical facade be in context with that part of downtown? I think something more industrial, yet grand, would work better. I think this project works more as a gateway to downtown in terms of presence and massing. In terms of architecture, it really needs to reflect its context, yet distinguish itself.

But isn't it going to be an upscale hotel? I would think classical would be preferable to industrial for the developer. True, that area of downtown may not be as grand as further south on the peninsula, but there are ample neighboring buildings with classical motifs: there are numerous Charleston single houses nearby, as well as the facades of 19th and older store fronts along King. And if one of their goals with this project is to upgrade the image of Upper King, then build one to reflect that. (BTW, I'm not against industrial architecture at all if done right, but not sure a large hotel is the right project for that downtown.)

We do agree, though, that a monumental building is needed. And by monumental, I don't mean just BIG. A monumental building would be dramatic, striking, inspiring, notable, grand, outstanding. The renderings depict a massive building lacking these traits entirely.

• 4 years later...

This is great news and glad to see this project moving forward. It will be interesting to see what hotel brand will be moving into this project.

Midtown Project Update:

Looks like the hotel will be flying the Hyatt Place banner based on the revised architectual drawings the B.A.R. will be reviewing on June 13.

There's a number of architectual revisions being proposed. Not sure what is driving these revisions but regardless this is an exciting project.

Below is a link to the partial agenda for the B.A.R. June 13 meeting. The Midtown project renderings begin on page 95 of the meeting agenda.

Separately and unrelated to Midtown, the B.A.R. will also be reviewing and hopefully giving final approval for the Gaillard Center project at the June 13 meeting. See pages 33 thru 61.

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/1%20bar%20presentation%206.13.2012.pdf

• 1 month later...

Midtown Project Update:

Looks like the hotel will be flying the Hyatt Place banner based on the revised architectual drawings the B.A.R. will be reviewing on June 13.

There's a number of architectual revisions being proposed. Not sure what is driving these revisions but regardless this is an exciting project.

Below is a link to the partial agenda for the B.A.R. June 13 meeting. The Midtown project renderings begin on page 95 of the meeting agenda.

Wow, I'm liking what I see there. This will definitely be a catalyst for this end of King Street.

Here are some renderings from the BAR presentation. This is a pretty solid development from an urban design perspective. Great active street frontage, good building massing, fenestration etc. I really like the first image that shows how a BAR can positively influence urban design. I wish more cities in South Carolina would follow Charleston's lead.

midtownchas_kingst.jpg

midtownchas_roofmassing.jpg

midtownchas_kingst2.jpg

midtownchas.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It appeared to me from looking at the revised architechural renderings that the Midtown development's mass is larger now than what was previously approved by the B.A.R,. In fact, the developer is seeking approval to increase the number of hotel guest rooms by 65 (from 250 to 315).

http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120716/PC05/120719436/1011/grapevine-midtown-development-in-charleston-seeks-to-add-more-hotel-rooms&template=printart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...