Midtown Charleston

vicupstate

While anything is possible in this economy, such as a delay, I doubt it would be 'scaled back' for any reason. The cost of Peninsula Charleston real estate is so high (and heights are limited), the developer has to 'max out' the utility in order to turn a profit.

Good point.

And you are right about upper King, at both ends, getting ready to explode. I really hope that that area can retain as much of its local flavor as it can, though. Even though it's not as glitzy and glamorous as lower King between Broad and Calhoun, it has a certain allure to it that I rather like.

OK, I actually just clicked the link and read the story about the Hilton on Marion Square and saw the picture of the model. Although the front of the building isn't showing, from what I can see, I'm quite disappointed in the architecture here--shocked even. It looks like a McMansion version of a Charleston single house:

hotel.jpg

Surely they could do better.

I like it. :)

The designers have been asked to reduce the amount of shutters, and make the roof copper. :dunno: Not sure why copper . . I like the terra-cotta roof that seems to be depicted in the model.

I usually agree with the preservation groups, but in this case I am on the opposite side of the fence. They are beating a dead horse here, and the result of all this "design by committee" will be a disaster if they don't shut up! :ph34r:

I wish they'd just build it as shown and be done with it so we can finally 1) get rid of that 15 years' vacant pink elephant (old library) there now, 2) have another major, internationally-known hotel brand in downtown Charleston and all the cachet and energy that comes with it, and 3) carry the renaissance of Marion Square forward by the biggest leap yet. It's looooong overdue.

I love the opening statements:

A massive upper King Street project was sent back to the drawing board Monday with concerns that it would not create a grand enough public entrance to downtown Charleston.

The Midtown project's U-shaped courtyard would be hidden from drivers on King and Meeting streets as they cross Spring Street, where the yet-to-be-built hotel, condominium, retail and office project is located. And the city's Board of Architectural Review challenged the developers to create a more ambitious and striking hotel entrance that would make a statement to incoming tourists and residents.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :)

I'm also glad to see that the developer seems more than happy to make these types of improvements.

""We feel that these were good, thoughtful comments, and we're prepared to roll up our sleeves to get back in front of the (board) soon," said Reid Freeman, president of Atlanta-based Regent Partners, lead developer on the project."

That statement speaks volumes to how well the sides want to work together.

Kudos to Charleston for letting them know what they want, and kudos to the developer for trying to deliver on it. I can't wait to see what kind of revisions this project will get. It's better to delay something like this a little bit to make it the right fit imo.

• 1 month later...

Midtown Project tweaked

This continues to move forward, and from the sounds of it, is getting even better in the redesign. I can't wait to see this one come out of the ground. I bet within a year of opening, we will be reading about how this project has won a couple of awards.

I love that commuter rail is being incorporated into the design.

Im truly disgusted

Unimaginative architecture, the firm that designed this should be ashamed of themselves. Building for the sake of building is not moving forward there has to be something there that actually will be appreciated in years to come as either innovation or just beauty. The building reminds me of the building on calhoun next to the county library-- new but just awful.

^really?

It seems to me that this is not an architectural rendering. If you look at this in context with the other slides, the whole thing is about the general site plan and massing of the site. The buildings fronting King St appear to be similar in size, scale, and architecture to what is there, with the larger structure behind it.

^really?

It seems to me that this is not an architectural rendering. If you look at this in context with the other slides, the whole thing is about the general site plan and massing of the site. The buildings fronting King St appear to be similar in size, scale, and architecture to what is there, with the larger structure behind it.

You can see their intentions in the "outer layer/ fronting" of the building to blend the building in with its surroundings but in the end it's a boring conglomerate of a rectangles which is intended at its core to hold bodies with no regard of the exterior. Is it only me or is the newest rendering practically the SAME exact one that was shot down by the Charleston BAR a few weeks ago? We all applauded the suggestions made by the BAR and seemingly the firm was going to make some adjustments but it's the same darn thing! Where's the "we're going to role up our sleeves and get back to work"? Seems to me a guy spent an extra 15 minutes using an eraser for the trash disposal center on the side of the building but that's about it. Lackluster and unimaginative in its greatest sense.

With all due respect, its fairly different. The general scope of the thing is not, but the entrance on King St was redone to look less like Charleston Place. That was one of my main contentions with the previous design.

What would you do differently?

You can see their intentions in the "outer layer/ fronting" of the building to blend the building in with its surroundings but in the end it's a boring conglomerate of a rectangles which is intended at its core to hold bodies with no regard of the exterior. Is it only me or is the newest rendering practically the SAME exact one that was shot down by the Charleston BAR a few weeks ago? We all applauded the suggestions made by the BAR and seemingly the firm was going to make some adjustments but it's the same darn thing! Where's the "we're going to role up our sleeves and get back to work"? Seems to me a guy spent an extra 15 minutes using an eraser for the trash disposal center on the side of the building but that's about it. Lackluster and unimaginative in its greatest sense.

The two problems identified earlier were the trash/loading dock issue, which was addressed and the plaza access as I remember. Keep in mind that the BAR has yet to rule on this.

I just don't see anything original in it I'm sorry-- I was looking for it in the rehash but it's just not there. I have a feeling that the project is going to have a fake feel to it but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Uniqueness (good looking) is something I'm big on and this project just gives me a bad feeling that it's just gonna be a bunch of rectangles that won't be appreciated in a few years.

I wish developers would more frequently enlist the services of other developers to develop the smaller plots within the project as a whole that way it looks like the community actually came together naturally. It would be pricier for sure but at least it would have a good feel to it.

Back to my first point however I don't think the place has any identifying features.. it's just a place. I like the idea for the Marion Square hotel however because it'll have that nice copper roof that will naturally turn green with time. Maybe they could light up the roof a bit and it'll really look sharp.

I wish developers would more frequently enlist the services of other developers to develop the smaller plots within the project as a whole that way it looks like the community actually came together naturally. It would be pricier for sure but at least it would have a good feel to it.

I am totally in agreement with this. But we live in the days when megadevelopments have priority over smaller, infill developments. That's not to say that a megadevelopment can't be done right, but nothing beats a block that has developed organically over time--which is what the varying facades at the street level tries to emulate. As I said, I just hope it's executed properly.

I tend to agree when it comes to greenfield development. Usually its new developments that lack character and originality. This thing, while quite large, is still one building amongst the sea of architecture that is downtown Charleston. Like it or not, megadevelopments tend to be more profitable than smaller ones, and in some cases more economical. This is also a redevelopment, so with multiple developers you run the risk of having unfinished portions of the plan.

Back to my first point however I don't think the place has any identifying features.. it's just a place. I like the idea for the Marion Square hotel however because it'll have that nice copper roof that will naturally turn green with time. Maybe they could light up the roof a bit and it'll really look sharp.

I agree completely. It is exceedingly bland--nothing that says "gateway to downtown" as they promised. A monumental classical facade (this is Charleston, right?) would have been far superior. Sigh, . . . wonder what the Committee to Save the City thinks? I'm so, so disappointed . . with this project, Charleston is turning into "Anytown, U.S.A."

^But would a monumental classical facade be in context with that part of downtown? I think something more industrial, yet grand, would work better. I think this project works more as a gateway to downtown in terms of presence and massing. In terms of architecture, it really needs to reflect its context, yet distinguish itself.