Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turlough

Detroit Newspaper Agency Announces Layoffs

4 posts in this topic

Officials at the Detroit newspaper agency that operates the areas two major papers announced Friday that layoffs would be necessary, Local 4's Derricke Dennis reported.

More than 60 workers were expected to be affected by the layoffs including those in production, distribution, administration and advertising and marketing.

The only area not affected by the agency's decision is the editorial department, the station reported.

"(It's the) first time in the newspapers' history -- Free Press and News. It's the first time that they've laid anybody off," said Dennis Nazelli, of Teamsters Local 372.

Nazelli's union represents the largest number of workers affected with 10 to 12 full-time positions being eliminated, in addition to 50 temporary positions.

"Right now they're being told. They've had meetings all day and those that are going to be affected by it have been notified that today was their last day," said Nazelli.

Suzie Elwood, a spokesperson for the Detroit newspapers, released the following statement Friday:

"It's been a year of increased costs in healthcare and newsprint. We've seen a less than strong economic climate in the Midwest. We will reevaluate the numbers in four months."

Union representatives credit the strike of the 1990s that lasted 5

Or they could just sell the old Free Press Building downtown to a developer so they could convert it into lofts :). That would cover the extra costs until things turn around, & provide even more residential space downtown.

Well they were supposed to sell it to someone who was going to turn it into lofts. The project was to be called Paper Place Lofts. I walked past the building yesterday (sorry, I didn't get a pic) & there was no activity, just a closed up building. So I don't know what happened to the project.