Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigboyz05

Racism in Fouke

6 posts in this topic

Lore, cross burning contribute to Fouke's rep for racism

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news03.txt

I found it disturbing that the Mayor Cecil Smith refers to black people as colored. I thought people stopped using that term a long time ago! Anyway, what are your thoughts of this article.

This may sound a little harsh, but it's not meant that way... racism is the #1 industry in Fouke! How many black people have you ever seen in Fouke? I've seen zero, with the exception of people passing through on Hwy. 71. Even when I've stopped into the gas station on Hwy. 71 in Fouke, I haven't seen any in there.

I feel very sure the KKK is still very much alive in that backward little hick town town.

It's sad that, in the year 2006 (or any year for that matter,) racism is still as prevalent. I've always seen Texarkana as more accepting toward blacks than Shreveport, due to the amount of interracial couples I've seen in Texarkana. But the small towns around there are where the racist people live. The Pier 27 restaurant in Bright Star is bad... my wife and I took her mother and stepfather (an interracial couple) to eat there one time and I thought I was going to have to kick some redneck butt. The looks we got from those people were disturbing even to us, so we know how much it must have hurt her stepfather since he's black.

I also know the KKK is alive and well here in Haughton, but thankfully those people all live in their trailers and shacks and fly their rebel flags way off in the woods, away from civilization.

I certainly wish we could rid this world of the racist mentality. What does it accomplish? Absolutely nothing. It's sick... but some people just can't seem to get over their extreme hatred and friggin get along!

On Friday, I went to Popeye's at lunch, and as you probably know the Popeye's in Shreveport have all black employees. Most of them are nice people, but there are a few worthless thugs. The guys and girls working in there were so nice, and went out of their way to be helpful. But there was this little, old white lady who got her order screwed up and she went into pissed-off mode! She got all assy to these people and was muttering things under her breath. I have no doubt that, had she been down the street at one of the restaurants with all white people working in it, she would have acted differently. But because some of these people looked "thuggy," she felt the need to show her racist ass and talk about them under her breath.

Here's MY question: how is a hateful, racist white person any better than a good, hard-working black person? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

This may sound a little harsh, but it's not meant that way... racism is the #1 industry in Fouke! How many black people have you ever seen in Fouke? I've seen zero, with the exception of people passing through on Hwy. 71. Even when I've stopped into the gas station on Hwy. 71 in Fouke, I haven't seen any in there.

I feel very sure the KKK is still very much alive in that backward little hick town town.

It's sad that, in the year 2006 (or any year for that matter,) racism is still as prevalent. I've always seen Texarkana as more accepting toward blacks than Shreveport, due to the amount of interracial couples I've seen in Texarkana. But the small towns around there are where the racist people live. The Pier 27 restaurant in Bright Star is bad... my wife and I took her mother and stepfather (an interracial couple) to eat there one time and I thought I was going to have to kick some redneck butt. The looks we got from those people were disturbing even to us, so we know how much it must have hurt her stepfather since he's black.

I also know the KKK is alive and well here in Haughton, but thankfully those people all live in their trailers and shacks and fly their rebel flags way off in the woods, away from civilization.

I certainly wish we could rid this world of the racist mentality. What does it accomplish? Absolutely nothing. It's sick... but some people just can't seem to get over their extreme hatred and friggin get along!

On Friday, I went to Popeye's at lunch, and as you probably know the Popeye's in Shreveport have all black employees. Most of them are nice people, but there are a few worthless thugs. The guys and girls working in there were so nice, and went out of their way to be helpful. But there was this little, old white lady who got her order screwed up and she went into pissed-off mode! She got all assy to these people and was muttering things under her breath. I have no doubt that, had she been down the street at one of the restaurants with all white people working in it, she would have acted differently. But because some of these people looked "thuggy," she felt the need to show her racist ass and talk about them under her breath.

Here's MY question: how is a hateful, racist white person any better than a good, hard-working black person? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The racist people who live in those small towns will have to get over it as Texarkana sprawls ever westward and eastward toward their towns. I've lived in Texarkana virtually my whole life and have never experienced racism here. Maybe as Fouke begins to grow things will change, hopefully. Wow! I wasn't aware that Texarkana was more accepting of black people than Shreveport! I thought it was the other way around.

The racist people who live in those small towns will have to get over it as Texarkana sprawls ever westward and eastward toward their towns. I've lived in Texarkana virtually my whole life and have never experienced racism here. Maybe as Fouke begins to grow things will change, hopefully.

I believe the problm of racism is stifling Fouke from growing. If you look at extremely intolerant towns like Fouke, you usually see a town that is going nowhere. A town of narrow-minded will never grow until things make a change for the better.

Wow! I wasn't aware that Texarkana was more accepting of black people than Shreveport! I thought it was the other way around.

Shreveport is more than 50% black, so I'd say the city is mostly accepting of black people, but there are those older people who still can't look past the color of someone's skin. The area where Shreveport isn't accepting is interracial love. I don't see many interracial couples here, but I do see tons of them in Texarkana. Like I said, even my mother-in-law and her husband are an interracial couple.

"I believe the problm of racism is stifling Fouke from growing. If you look at extremely intolerant towns like Fouke, you usually see a town that is going nowhere. A town of narrow-minded will never grow until things make a change for the better."

I agree with you. It's a shame things are that way though. Are things changing in Haughton since more people are moving out there?

"I believe the problm of racism is stifling Fouke from growing. If you look at extremely intolerant towns like Fouke, you usually see a town that is going nowhere. A town of narrow-minded will never grow until things make a change for the better."

I agree with you. It's a shame things are that way though. Are things changing in Haughton since more people are moving out there?

Well, the thing about Haughton is, it's a pretty segregated town. You have your "KKK idiots" who live in trailers out in the boonies, but inside the town's limits you have quite a few black families. There is also an area near the high school thatn is mostly black.

My street is majority white, but I believe there are now two black families on it. Granted I do live on a short dead-end street, but there are probably 50+ houses on this street. One of my neighbors recently told me that the only problem he's heard about on this street was, one night a house was vandalized. But it just so happened it was the house of the only black man on the street at the time.

The neighborhood I live in is the typical suburban neighborhood. My next-door neighbor is from Florida and the people across the street are from New Mexico. Most people on my street are from other states, and of them the majority are very new here. Most seem live very progressive people and seem like the type of people who would be accepting of almost anyone. I don't know what to make of the black man whose home was vandalized. I hope it was just a random thing and his house just happened to stand out for whatever reason. I hope race wasn't involved, but it's hard not to think it was.