A Wolverine in Lansing

wolverine

I'll be stopping by Tuesday for the afternoon/evening after my job interview in Grand Rapids. I want to get some nice skyline shots of the city. I know many of you have taken photos from parking structures. Specifically which ones are the best. Additionally, I always hear of people getting yelled at for taking pictures on top of parking structures all over the state. I've done this more times than I have counted and never had this happen, so if there are any ramps that are privately owned, please let me know. I rarely visit downtown Lansing so some suggestions would be great. Additionally if any Lansing forumers want to join me photographing buildings and stuff, it would be great to meet up.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The top of the Sparrow Hospital Ramp or the Sparrow Professional Building skywalk (located at Michigan and Pennsylvania) is the most ideal. You can also get some neat skyline shots from riverfront park (Grand Ave, 2 blocks North of Michigan Ave), where the vantage is somewhat unique.

My favorite view, and what I think is somewhat underrated is from the West Side of the state capital, from the Michigan Hall of Justice (MLK and Michigan).

There is only one private parking ramp in the city, the Tower Ramp at Capitol & Allegan. I've never had any problems with taking pics at any of the city owned ramps. To pictures of the Capitol complex you can take pictures from the Townsend parking ramp (E), you can get some limited shots form the North Grand Ramp (B). Also for some great skyline shots go to the elevated park directly south of parking lot I on the below map link. If your coming west on I-496 from 127 you can also get some great views of the skyline from there from the elevated part of the freeway but it may not be a good idea to stop on the freeway to get those pics.

For a map reference go here: Downtown Lansing parking map

I'm busy for most of the afternoon and evening, tomorrow, so I'll not be able to meet with you, but here are some suggestions:

1. The South Grand Parking Structure (labeled "C" on the city map) lies along and in the river a block or so south of Michigan at Grand. It offers a close-up full-spread, panoramic view of the skyline, and also a view of the Sparrow Hospital campus, a smaller second skyline a mile east.

2. The South Capitol Parking Structure (labeled "D" on the city map) lies two blocks directly south of the Capitol, and offers a great view of the Capitol Avenue "wall" of high-rises as well as a great overlook of Ruetter Park Square (with fountain).

3. Sparrow Parking Structure within the Sparrow Hospital Complex a mile east of downtown along Michigan offers the best comprehensive view of the skyline, though, it will cost you $2.00 if you want the view.

4. As Statedude mentioned, another decent non-parking garage view is from the steps of the Michigan Hall of Justice at the far western end of the capitol mall, which I'd suggest you walk. Unfortunately, the Hall of Justice is flanked by two huge parking lots so it can be a bit uninspiring, but it gives you a great straight through shot of the capitol and complex.

A few other things you could do is take a stroll down Washington Avenue (impossible to miss), or even make it up to Old Town. The city still has quite a ways to go, and the streets are currently being torn up, so it will look much less busy than usual. Hopefully by this time next year with all of the new projects going up, it should be a good change.

Wolverine, you could also go to the 3rd floor of the Sparrow hospital or sparrow professional building (across the street), go to the skyway over Michigan Ave and get a straight shot down Michigan. With a zoom, I have gotten some good shots.

If your interested in older architecture of the non-high rise variety check out the northern portion of the MSU campus, just 5 miles east of Downtown Lansing. From Morrill Hall, Agriculture Hall and Beaumont Tower, there are some great older buildings that are well worth checking out.

I know, it might scare you to step into Spartan territory, but judging by the view of the bar out my window, most Spartans will be passed out tomorrow.

Wolverine, got anything to post for us?

On a side note, I took a self-guided tour of the historic buildings of Circle Drive on the MSU campus last night, since I have not been through most of the older structures. I was shocked at how much vintage woodwork was in the buildings, especially botany and forestry. By far however, the entrance to Kedzie Hall is my favorite. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get home tonight.

LMich, what do you think about the plan that is renovating all the old buildings on circle drive? So far I like what I'm seeing. I absolutely love the renovation that was done on Marshal-Adams Hall.

This is the picture from before the renovation, sorry, I dont have one from after, but believe it or not it looks 10 times more beautiful.

marshall.jpg

I've never gotten a chance to get around MSU much, anyone got some pics?

I took well over 100 pictures of campus in the last couple weeks. I'm having issues with getting my camera to upload the pictures, but I promise to post them as soon as I can.

I'm glad they've chose to renovate them rather than tear them down, as they are the oldest buildings left on campus.

I never spent enough time in North campus.

Aren't there a couple that have stuctural flaws so bad that you can't even go into them? Will those be renovated as well, or am I just wrong about the existance of buildings like that?

I never spent enough time in North campus.

Aren't there a couple that have stuctural flaws so bad that you can't even go into them? Will those be renovated as well, or am I just wrong about the existance of buildings like that?

I've kept up to date pretty well with the dealings on campus, and as far as I know all the buildings are in use. Ironically, the forestry building has survived a total of 5 fires in it's existence. I just chuckled when I was told this by a professor.

I guess since this has become an impromptu MSU thread, I will throw in that on way my way to campus today I drove past Snyder/Phillips hall where the new residential college will be headquartered. A few years back I worked in the building, and decided to go through it this morning. The lobby has been stripped down to absolutely nothing. Somewhat sad after all the renovations that went into the lobby to keep the original look. But based on the renderings I've seen, the new building is going to look great.

I'll provide a few pics of what I took soon.. I came through Lansing a little late and was rushing back to a friends house to watch the Pistons game. But I did get some good shots which I will post soon.

Oh, and I have ventured into Spartan territory many times since I have a lot of friends who go to MSU. I've been to downtown Lansing a few times, but never really took it all in since they were quick visits. The last time I was there was when I went to a Lansing Lugnuts game.

Speaking of the Lugnuts, ever time I go by the stadium, now, it appears as if attendence has decreased, A LOT. It's been steadily going down, but many were speculating that it was leveling off. Hopefully, it catches up as the weather gets warmer. Maybe, they are just early in the season, too (I don't follow baseball).

Anyway, all buildings on North Campus are in use. The only one that is still really in any danger of coming down is the one next door to the Union, Morrill Hall. Apparently, the support structure for the building is wood beams as it is so old. The floors can't support any more weight, which includes modern equipment. I heard about this a few years ago, though, and there hasn't been any talk recently in bringing it down, though.

By the way, next to Morril Hall, the MSU parking ramp is starting to look really nice. It looks just like all the buildings surrounding it with the design that they have gone with. I'll try and get some pictures when the weather clears up.

Speaking of the Lugnuts, ever time I go by the stadium, now, it appears as if attendence has decreased, A LOT. It's been steadily going down, but many were speculating that it was leveling off. Hopefully, it catches up as the weather gets warmer. Maybe, they are just early in the season, too (I don't follow baseball).

Anyway, all buildings on North Campus are in use. The only one that is still really in any danger of coming down is the one next door to the Union, Morrill Hall. Apparently, the support structure for the building is wood beams as it is so old. The floors can't support any more weight, which includes modern equipment. I heard about this a few years ago, though, and there hasn't been any talk recently in bringing it down, though.

LMich, I was told by a very reliable source in the Administration that a massive renovation with Morrill Hall will take place soon. Thats about all I know, but I'll let you know more when I do.

Morrill Hall, I remember that name. That must be involved in what I'm confusing.

Do the Lugnuts still have $2 beer night? That used to be a blast.

MSU has one of the most stately and majestic campuses of any university i've seen. When it comes to universities the older the better!

Yeah, it is a very nice campus (so long as you stay north). MSU grew so bloody fast after World War II that there wasn't time (or probably money) for good architecture. My guess is that as the university ages, and rich alums do their thing, there will be some nice buildings replacing the ugly ones over time, and maybe some effort to restore and maintain the North Campus buildings as well.

At U-M, you can see a similar pattern. At the Ross Business School, the 1940s era buildings will be taken down (can't happen too soon, IMHO) and at the Law School, the hideous alumimum siding addition to the back of the library is coming down (reportedly, the only state-funded architecture on the entire block).

Archived