Kings Highway Construction

Back in January of this year, five homes and/or businesses (2 along Kings Hwy & 3 on Rutherford) and were demolished to make room for a chain restaurant. I'll admit to not knowing much about the condition of these buildings; however, I don't like to see circa 1920s homes torn down and large trees removed only to replaced with a chicken shack! Has anyone heard or read about further demoliton of historic property in this area? I really hope that this isn't representative of what's around the corner for the Highland/South Highland neighborhoods!

BTW, this is my first post, so "Hello" to everyone!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in January of this year, five homes and/or businesses (2 along Kings Hwy & 3 on Rutherford) and were demolished to make room for a chain restaurant. I'll admit to not knowing much about the condition of these buildings; however, I don't like to see circa 1920s homes torn down and large trees removed only to replaced with a chicken shack! Has anyone heard or read about further demoliton of historic property in this area? I really hope that this isn't representative of what's around the corner for the Highland/South Highland neighborhoods!

BTW, this is my first post, so "Hello" to everyone!

Hello, SHV_Resident! :)

I've really been missing my fellow SBC residents on here who seem to have forgotten the way back here. I do hope you'll stick around and help make the SBC forums as vibrant as our fair cities are! :)

That said, my response...

My opinions on this issue are mixed, because on one hand that area really does need some new life. On the other hand, however, it's a very historic area and I hate to see the charm being sucked out of the area just to build a Raising Cane's restaurant.

I will say, however, that I believe the majority of the South Highlands area is safe. A lot of what is happening and planned is along King's Highway. Across the street from the McDonald's in that same area, the row of old, rundown homes has been slated for demo for a long time now. Albertson's was supposed to build a store there, but their plans have hit roadblocks at every turn along the way. The last thing I heard about this was, Albertson's and their architects agreed to the city's mandate that the store be built with an all-brick, historic look to blend in with the South Highlands area. My guess would be that they ran into yet another roadblock when they began pricing the project. There's no way a chain like Albertson's is going to spend twice the normal amount to build a store so close to what's on the east side of I-49 in that area.

My opinion is that the city of Shreveport should set in place an ordinance that keeps commercial development out of South Highlands. Nothing should be built in that area outside of King's Highway. It's just too beautiful and charming an area to ruin it!

By the way, today I saw a book about historic Shreveport that I'd never seen before. In this book, there was a photo of the South Highlands area when the city annexed it back in the early 1900s. Wow, that was an amazing photo! In it you could see quite a few brand-new homes and one under construction. There was literally tons of space between each house, and surrounding the area. All that land has been developed over the past 75+ years, but to see South Highlands as a mostly rural suburb was very strange, since all my life it's just been a very heavily developed neighborhood in the city.

Hello, SHV_Resident! :)

I will say, however, that I believe the majority of the South Highlands area is safe. A lot of what is happening and planned is along King's Highway. Across the street from the McDonald's in that same area, the row of old, rundown homes has been slated for demo for a long time now. Albertson's was supposed to build a store there, but their plans have hit roadblocks at every turn along the way. The last thing I heard about this was, Albertson's and their architects agreed to the city's mandate that the store be built with an all-brick, historic look to blend in with the South Highlands area. My guess would be that they ran into yet another roadblock when they began pricing the project. There's no way a chain like Albertson's is going to spend twice the normal amount to build a store so close to what's on the east side of I-49 in that area.

My opinion is that the city of Shreveport should set in place an ordinance that keeps commercial development out of South Highlands. Nothing should be built in that area outside of King's Highway. It's just too beautiful and charming an area to ruin it!

By the way, today I saw a book about historic Shreveport that I'd never seen before. In this book, there was a photo of the South Highlands area when the city annexed it back in the early 1900s. Wow, that was an amazing photo! In it you could see quite a few brand-new homes and one under construction. There was literally tons of space between each house, and surrounding the area. All that land has been developed over the past 75+ years, but to see South Highlands as a mostly rural suburb was very strange, since all my life it's just been a very heavily developed neighborhood in the city.

Greetings. I've wondered what happened to that planned Albertsons. It's a shame it didn't go through. As you said, that area does need some more activity. I have no problem with new development as long as it goes along with the style of the area -- much like the bank built adjacent to St Marks' Cathedral. I think that one fits fairly well into the neighborhood. The old mansion it replaced was just too far gone and didn't look too architecturally impressive.

Are there any new planned developments in that corridor? I passed through there last time I visited Shreveport in Nov and it looked about the same as it did in 03 when I left. It's an interesting area. I loved driving through there as well as Fairfield Avenue. St Vincent mall looked about the same, maybe at the beginning of a decline, but that seems to be a trend for indoor malls, but maybe it's just me. There seems to be a move toward more upscale strip malls, which is fine by me in a sunny place like Shreveport

Greetings. I've wondered what happened to that planned Albertsons. It's a shame it didn't go through. As you said, that area does need some more activity. I have no problem with new development as long as it goes along with the style of the area -- much like the bank built adjacent to St Marks' Cathedral. I think that one fits fairly well into the neighborhood. The old mansion it replaced was just too far gone and didn't look too architecturally impressive.

Are there any new planned developments in that corridor? I passed through there last time I visited Shreveport in Nov and it looked about the same as it did in 03 when I left. It's an interesting area. I loved driving through there as well as Fairfield Avenue. St Vincent mall looked about the same, maybe at the beginning of a decline, but that seems to be a trend for indoor malls, but maybe it's just me.

Yes, I do believe the bank they built adjacent to St. Mark's is impressive in that they kept the beautiful, historic architecture of the area in mind. I'm sure that was mandated by the city as well, but either way it's gorgeous.

As far as I know, nothing else is planned for that area. But that's not saying much as the Raising Cane's slipped in below my radar. I never heard anything about that at any of the MPC, ZBA, or City Council meetings.

And you're absolutely correct about Mall St. Vincent. I'm not sure how long you lived in this area before leaving, but if you were here in the '80s, you may remember that Mall St. Vincent was in extremely bad shape and was on the verge of closure due to the gang problem. Then, a new security company was hired, and the emphasis of this new security company was to hire the biggest, baddest "mofos" you've ever seen and to put the pressure on the thugs congregating in the mall. It took almost no time, and the mall was cleaned up. Then, I-49 was built right next to the mall, which further separated the mall from the neighborhood to the west, and the rest was history. But in the last 5 years or so, that mall has begun a decline once again. Some of it may be because the thugs who once terrorized South Park Mall (before they ran THAT mall into the ground as well) may have moved on to Mall St. Vincent.

There seems to be a move toward more upscale strip malls, which is fine by me in a sunny place like Shreveport

Speaking of... have you had an opportunity to visit the Boardwalk? In my opinion, a very impressive example of what an outdoor mall should be like. It's basically a Grapevine Mills or Katy Mills, but in an open-air enviromnent. It has all the same components of a "Mills" shopping mall: a large movie theater, outlet stores, big-name national restaurants, a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, smaller restaurants, a massive parking area, and impressive, eye-catching architectural styling.

Does the Boardwalk still have the bowling lanes ? Next time I am up there I am gonna have to stop and see the Boardwalk for myself.

Those are great componets to have for a entertainment/outdoor/lifestyle center venues.

Yes, they still have the bowling lanes. There is a huge nightclub complex with a few nightclubs inside and a small bowling alley. No kids, though... because of the high volume of alcohol, the age is 21 in that building.

Originally that entire building was supposed to be a 2-story bowling alley, based off a concept in Goleta, CA. I'm not sure what happened with that, but in the end it wound up being a nightclub complex with a few bowling lanes thrown in there. I will say I still haven't bowled there, because it's just not my scene. In Bossier, I prefer to bowl at Holiday Lanes on Old Minden Road. It's a large bowling alley that's been open since the 60s or 70s.

Evening all,

I just wanted to know if anybody has been able to get some info about the planned construction of the Youree/Kings intersection?

It was supposed to be totally renovated with more turn lanes and new lights. Anybody know what the holdup is?

By the way, they are supposed to do massive reconstruction of the Kings/East Kings intersection just a few hundred feet from Youree drive, does anyone know the status of that project as well?

If anyone can get their hands on some info or even proposed site plans to let us know what it is all going to look like when all is said and done please post it here.

Just want to know why they aren't going through with the plans they told us about over a year and a half ago.

One more side note.

With the increased traffic around the Centurytel Center what is the possiblilty of them expanding the Jimmie Davis bridge to 4 or even 6 lanes?

I remember reading an article a few months back and it said that the bridge is strong enough to be a 6 laner.

Is there any truth to this?

Just looking for some answers,

Mudbugger

Evening all,

I just wanted to know if anybody has been able to get some info about the planned construction of the Youree/Kings intersection?

It was supposed to be totally renovated with more turn lanes and new lights. Anybody know what the holdup is?

By the way, they are supposed to do massive reconstruction of the Kings/East Kings intersection just a few hundred feet from Youree drive, does anyone know the status of that project as well?

If anyone can get their hands on some info or even proposed site plans to let us know what it is all going to look like when all is said and done please post it here.

Just want to know why they aren't going through with the plans they told us about over a year and a half ago.

One more side note.

With the increased traffic around the Centurytel Center what is the possiblilty of them expanding the Jimmie Davis bridge to 4 or even 6 lanes?

I remember reading an article a few months back and it said that the bridge is strong enough to be a 6 laner.

Is there any truth to this?

Just looking for some answers,

Mudbugger

Hey there, Mudbugger, glad to see you back on the SBC forum! :)

Anyway, I will go ahead and address your questions based on the information I have, so here goes:

The Youree/Kings Hwy intersection was slated to be widened to 8-10 lanes over two years ago. Construction was then pushed back to August or September of last year. Well, guess what happened about that time? Yes, that's right... Katrina. I asked one of my sources a few months back and he told me that Katrina has postponed it yet again and that no one now knows for sure when this will be done. This also goes with the Kings/E. Kings/Shv. Barksdale intersection, as these projects were both to be done simultaneously. The basic answer I got on these projects was that no one knew for sure when this would get moving again. However now that you've brought this question up, I think it's time I got on the phone again to see if a new timeline as been set.

As far as Jimmie Davis goes, if you're talking about the existing bridge being widened to 4 or 6 lanes, then I'd say that's always a possibility. Having a long-time friend who is a retired bridge builder, and based on the information he's given me over the years, I'd venture to guess that almost any bridge can be widened without adding a twinspan. Take a look at the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge widening project going on to see what I mean. You would have to drive new piles on the side or sides on which you were going to add lanes, then add new beams and then pour new concrete and tie it in to the existing traffic lanes. So to answer your question, I'd say yes, there is probably a lot of truth to that. Other than a little rust showing, the Jimmie Davis Bridge appears to be in excellent shape for its age. If you drive underneath it on the parkway, you can take a look at the skeleton and see there aren't any visible cracks or weaknesses in the structure, so it looks like it could go another 50-100 years with no problem. Maybe someone who knows more about bridges will come along and verify this information for us.

Either way, the Jimmie Davis Bridge must be widenened, otherwise it's a watse. I just wish Louisiana would cough up the $30+ million it would take to widen this structure. Every day this bridge goes untouched is another day for the cost to rise. I absolutely hate crossing that bridge during rush hour or when there's a concert or sporting event going on at CTC. It's an absolute nightmare, but I have friends and coworkers who use it every day.

We're all looking for answers, Mudbugger. All we can do is just ask questions when we have an opportunity. And I'd love to answer every question but I know that's not possible. As with the bridge, all I can do is make educated guess in some cases, but I can also get ahold of the right people in many cases as well. I will try to get in touch with someone at DOTD directly, and soon, to see what's going on with the Kings/Youree intersection reconstruction. I'm ready to not only see that get started, but finished!

Archived