Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vicupstate

SC not on Toyota's Short List for plant

14 posts in this topic

Thats interesting. I would think that Chester has plenty of room for such a thing. Fairfield may be another option. They have the site where the Mack Trucks were assembled for a while near Winnsboro.

South Carolina seems to be more in the camp of the German automakers rather than the Asian makers. BMW, Sprinter (which is really Mercedes), and Diamler Chrysler itself are all German and that does not necessairly mean the Asians are going to show up build cars.

Honda already has a plant in South Carolina, so there is precedence.

Honda already has a plant in South Carolina, so there is precedence.

I am not sure that a lawn mower plant counts.

ATV's may not be automobiles but its better than nothing benefiting the Florence County economy

I am not sure that a lawn mower plant counts.

Like Jerseyman said, it is NOT a lawn mower plant and it is the company that counts, not the specific item manufactured, that shows their interest in an area.

Like Jerseyman said, it is NOT a lawn mower plant and it is the company that counts, not the specific item manufactured, that shows their interest in an area.

I stand corrected. I got the one in SC mixed up with the one in NC where they do make lawnmowers.

I never knew Toyota had a presence in Chester.

I never knew Toyota had a presence in Chester.

Toyota doesn't; Honda has an ATV plant in Timmonsville or Turbeville (I always get those 2 towns mixed up, lol).

I looked it up, the plant is in Timmonsville and it recently produced its millionth ATV.

Honda ATV Plant

I knew about the Honda plant; my co-worker's mother works there.

It's funny to see NC and VA, two states that usually don't play the incentives game, be considered for a major automotive manufacturing plant.

In recent years NC has 'played' the icentives game, as least occasionally. Two I remeber are the Fed EX hub in Greensboro, and I believe a Paper plant in Hertford County, or something like that.

NC does not usually get into the incentives game as it is not permitted in the constitution, but the Legislature can make specific exceptions.

Ironically NC has about 60,000 jobs related to the automobile manufacturing business. Many are Japanese owned plants that make parts for the auto manufacturers so having a plant nearby in NC would be a good fit and may drive additional business in these places.

NC is not a stranger to vehicle assembly plants. There is a huge Freightliner truck assembly plant in the Charlotte metro, and the Thomas School Bus company, everyone here probably has ridden on one, is HQ'd in Highpoint where they also manufacture the buses.

In recent years NC has 'played' the icentives game, as least occasionally. Two I remeber are the Fed EX hub in Greensboro, and I believe a Paper plant in Hertford County, or something like that.

And Dell; there was some controversy surrounding that deal from what I remember.