SC not on Toyota's Short List for plant

vicupstate

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Carolina seems to be more in the camp of the German automakers rather than the Asian makers. BMW, Sprinter (which is really Mercedes), and Diamler Chrysler itself are all German and that does not necessairly mean the Asians are going to show up build cars.

Like Jerseyman said, it is NOT a lawn mower plant and it is the company that counts, not the specific item manufactured, that shows their interest in an area.

I stand corrected. I got the one in SC mixed up with the one in NC where they do make lawnmowers.

NC does not usually get into the incentives game as it is not permitted in the constitution, but the Legislature can make specific exceptions.

Ironically NC has about 60,000 jobs related to the automobile manufacturing business. Many are Japanese owned plants that make parts for the auto manufacturers so having a plant nearby in NC would be a good fit and may drive additional business in these places.

NC is not a stranger to vehicle assembly plants. There is a huge Freightliner truck assembly plant in the Charlotte metro, and the Thomas School Bus company, everyone here probably has ridden on one, is HQ'd in Highpoint where they also manufacture the buses.

In recent years NC has 'played' the icentives game, as least occasionally. Two I remeber are the Fed EX hub in Greensboro, and I believe a Paper plant in Hertford County, or something like that.

And Dell; there was some controversy surrounding that deal from what I remember.

Archived