Southwind/Germantown crimewave

Bears

Reading news from Memphis, the crimewave in the Hacks Cross-Winchester area has gotten my attention. I actually have a friend who lives in the area who told me that the area is much diffrent from when I last saw it in 2002. Lots of retail similar to the Wolfchase area. What does the future for this area hold? Will the Fedex World HQ and closeness to the offices in Southwind/Germantown keep the area alive? IMO I think it could become like the East Memphis, Ridgeway-MUS, or Kirby Gate area.

Or will the crime push the Southwind/Germantown area rundown like the Mall of Memphis or Hickory Hill. There have been some break-ins into cars along the many greenbelts that cross the area and Germantown is considering CCTV and callboxes.

Article

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the article, it seems the greenbelt car break-ins have occurred on the northwestern edge of Germantown. That would be on the opposite side of town from the Hack's Cross/Winchester area. I doubt too that you'd see the sort of white flight out of the residential parts of that area that contributed to Hickory Hill's decline.

Reading the article, it seems the greenbelt car break-ins have occurred on the northwestern edge of Germantown. That would be on the opposite side of town from the Hack's Cross/Winchester area. I doubt too that you'd see the sort of white flight out of the residential parts of that area that contributed to Hickory Hill's decline.

I use to live in the Southwind area south of the Nonconnah Pkwy and IMO white flight has already occured. In 1999 the area was about 49% White, 49% Black, 2% other and in 2001 I would say it was probably 70% Black, 25% White, 5% other. I think the area won't become rundown because its right in the middle of the offices at the TPC and the industrial parks in Olive Branch. The area boomed right after the Nonconnah was built. Hacks Cross was nothing more than a one lane road and Germantown Police actually patrolled the area! Back in 1993, the area had nothing more in the area except a State Farm, a few subdivisions, and some abandoned farmhouses.

I too have seen the recent wave of armed robberies in the area on t.v. I don't think the area is prone to become rundown because of its close proximity to the FedEx headquarters. I do know that the city really needs to get a handle on this crime, not just in Southwind, but EVERYWHERE!

I guess I'm just not that familiar with the area, not having lived in Memphis for decades. When I hear the word "Southwind", I think of the expensive upscale golf course area which I'd assumed would be immune to flight. I didn't realize Southwind encompassed a larger area.

I too have seen the recent wave of armed robberies in the area on t.v. I don't think the area is prone to become rundown because of its close proximity to the FedEx headquarters. I do know that the city really needs to get a handle on this crime, not just in Southwind, but EVERYWHERE!

You're right of course.

Having said that, if white folks wouldn't start fleeing an area just because black folks start moving in, much of the crime problem could be stopped. In other words, whites start dumping their property on the market, housing values plummet, people can't sell, owner-occupied turns into rentals, rentals turn into section 8, etc., etc.

I have nothing against renters (I rented much of my life) or section 8 people. Most are no doubt good citizens. But I think you are more likely to get a higher percentage of bad apples than you would with folks who are homeowners.

I guess I'm just not that familiar with the area, not having lived in Memphis for decades. When I hear the word "Southwind", I think of the expensive upscale golf course area which I'd assumed would be immune to flight. I didn't realize Southwind encompassed a larger area.

You're thinking of the right area. Thats why I don't think the crime wave will have too much of an effect on the quality of the area. Here's a mapquest link of the area......

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...ry=US&geodiff=1

As you can see, the intersection isn't too far from the TPC @ Southwind, million dollar homes, and FedEx HQ just to name a few.

The problem with the white flight problem is that I believe it's the same 60,000 or so that continue with this problem. They moved into Whitehaven decades ago then moved near the airport then kept moving further out Winchester. They could learn a lesson from people in East Memphis, stay where you are and try to improve the surroundings instead of dumping your house for the next starter home in dirty dova.

The problem with the white flight problem is that I believe it's the same 60,000 or so that continue with this problem. They moved into Whitehaven decades ago then moved near the airport then kept moving further out Winchester. They could learn a lesson from people in East Memphis, stay where you are and try to improve the surroundings instead of dumping your house for the next starter home in dirty dova.

The worst thing about it is they pass on this mindset to future generations.

Reading news from Memphis, the crimewave in the Hacks Cross-Winchester area has gotten my attention. I actually have a friend who lives in the area who told me that the area is much diffrent from when I last saw it in 2002. Lots of retail similar to the Wolfchase area. What does the future for this area hold? Will the Fedex World HQ and closeness to the offices in Southwind/Germantown keep the area alive? IMO I think it could become like the East Memphis, Ridgeway-MUS, or Kirby Gate area.

Or will the crime push the Southwind/Germantown area rundown like the Mall of Memphis or Hickory Hill. There have been some break-ins into cars along the many greenbelts that cross the area and Germantown is considering CCTV and callboxes.

Article

Southwind is a really nice area and I can't really see the area taking cues from the American-Way, Mall of Memphis area, at least from what I saw when I worked at the FESJC golf tourney in 2003 and 2004.

I don't know though. The area might have reached its peak a few years ago. Southwind will always be nice, but I'm not so sure about some surroundings areas like Wyndike (sp?), which last time I saw was becoming vaguely reminiscient of Fox Meadows, though still much nicer.

I think the difference with this area is that when upper middle class whiteys fled their homes in Fox Meadows in the 80s, they headed towards areas like Southwind and Cordova. Now 20 years later we might see the same thing (imo), but this time the same folks might seek homes back in the city (primarily east memphis), which is what they should have done the first time.

I would say the Southwind area is considered to be the Southwind Middle School district (built in 1995). I believe it goes north to the Germantown city line and south to the Mississippi state line. East to Forest Hill Irene and west to Riverdale Rd. This area contains mostly middle class homes ($100,000-$200,000) and I guess what Germantown considers the ghetto. Buddy of mine actually told me Southwind Middle is nicknamed South-hood and Germantown High is the new Kirby. I'm not sure about overcrowding issues at GHS but I heard a new Southwind High School (planned to be the largest school in the state) will be built on some undeveloped abandoned farmland on the NE corner of Hacks Cross and Shelby Drive.

I do know that the city really needs to get a handle on this crime, not just in Southwind, but EVERYWHERE!

I totally agree. The MPD have new PDA's which decrease the time needed to do paperwork, so they can spend time patrolling the streets. Operation Blue Crush has also been raiding high crime areas. Since Southwind isn't a crime haven yet, I don't think Blue Crush will occur there or anywhere in SE Shelby County soon. With Fedex, Memphis has a bottomless amount of jobs, since that company is always hiring. IMO, education in Memphis City is fine as long as the students take their studies seriously. We can't realistically force parents to control their kids more than we do now. What do you all think are solutions to the crime problem?

As a former New Orleans public school teacher--and New Orleans had worse crime and worse schools than Memphis--I think any solution to crime has to deal with drugs, parents, and jobs. I also think community policing works. Hire more cops and have them walk beats in Orange Mound. Have them get to know everyone, the kids, the grandparents, etc. For just that area, it might take 50 extra cops, but I think it would be money well-spent.

As far as drugs go--have enough beds for treatment on demand.

All of this is expensive, but probably cheaper than incarceration and the social/economic impact of crime.

As a former New Orleans public school teacher--and New Orleans had worse crime and worse schools than Memphis--I think any solution to crime has to deal with drugs, parents, and jobs. I also think community policing works. Hire more cops and have them walk beats in Orange Mound. Have them get to know everyone, the kids, the grandparents, etc. For just that area, it might take 50 extra cops, but I think it would be money well-spent.

As far as drugs go--have enough beds for treatment on demand.

All of this is expensive, but probably cheaper than incarceration and the social/economic impact of crime.

I completely agree with you that community policing does work. Unfortunately Memphis cops are too lazy to ever do that...the cops are dirty too, that could be another reason for the crime escalation. I just heard a story about a MPD officer that controlled all of the drug trade on I-40 leaving Memphis, how sad! I think MPD has had something like 20 cops this year that have been found to be dirty.

I completely agree with you that community policing does work. Unfortunately Memphis cops are too lazy to ever do that...the cops are dirty too, that could be another reason for the crime escalation. I just heard a story about a MPD officer that controlled all of the drug trade on I-40 leaving Memphis, how sad! I think MPD has had something like 20 cops this year that have been found to be dirty.

I definitely agree about their laziness. Everytime I go into a Mapco, they're sitting behind the counter drinking coffee. We would probably see pigs fly before we saw a beat walking cop in Memphis. :rofl:

I definitely agree about their laziness. Everytime I go into a Mapco, they're sitting behind the counter drinking coffee. We would probably see pigs fly before we saw a beat walking cop in Memphis. :rofl:

"ITS TOO HOT" <_< And their whining because the mayor didn't give them a pay raise. It sounds like they don't deserve it. I think a bike patrol might be more useful and save on gas. If they won't walk, make them ride :thumbsup: If that doesn't work, we could just give it to the illegal immigrants. :P They might actually do a better job lol

Here's an experience from the blogger at Smart City about the MPD's "crackdown" on panhandlers...

Three days later, I pull into the Exxon gas station at Poplar Avenue and Danny Thomas Boulevard against my better judgment. I quit going there years ago, because of the ever-present panhandling, but my car's on empty and I have no choice.

I'm barely out of my car when accosted by a burly man in a bulky coat. "I need some money for dinner," he says, extending his hand.

"I'd be glad to buy you dinner inside," I answer. "What can I get you?"

"I need some money," he intones, as if I never made the offer.

"I heard you, and I'll gladly buy you dinner if you tell me what you want," I responded. This time, his hand pokes me in the side, as he says yet again, "I need some money for something to eat."

Finally, after three more stanzas of this song, his frustration grew so much that he stomps off, uttering some comment that seemed to involve my mother and me and an Oedipal urge that I can promise you does not exist. Finally, my gas tank full, I go inside to pay, where a uniformed policeman is chatting up the clerk.

All in all, it reenforces the feeling that the entire anti-panhandling campaign is a "blame the victim" program destined for failure because of MPD's lack of interest. Panhandlers have plied their trade with such impunity that they feel invincible. They'll even hassle tourists with policemen in sight.

Source

Crimewave is more than Southwind/Germantown. Just saw on the news that Walgreens at Union/McLean; Taco Bell on Union close to Kimbrough; Tops BBQ on Getwell; Hollywood Video on Perkins were all robbed at gunpoint last night within 2 hours of each other. What the heck is going on!?

Crimewave is more than Southwind/Germantown. Just saw on the news that Walgreens at Union/McLean; Taco Bell on Union close to Kimbrough; Tops BBQ on Getwell; Hollywood Video on Perkins were all robbed at gunpoint last night within 2 hours of each other. What the heck is going on!?

It's warmin' up outside!!!

i believe that one of the reasons associated with the spiking crime rate, is people who have settled in the memphis area from the gulf coast and new orleans. from the news i have heard, every southern city that has taken in a considerable number have seen a huge spike....including houston, jackson miss, atlanta, and birmingham. last i heard we had about 8-9,000 refugees in the city alone.

Archived