Late night restaurants in Charlotte

Name some please. For a relatively large city we don't have enough nice late night or 24/7 restaurants. I was out late Friday night and once again the group I was with ended up at Brixx. I love Brixx but there have to be some other alternatives besides them and Athens :sick:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I saw this topic, the first thing that came to mind was Brixx. There's Steak and Shake :unsure: that's open 24 hours as well for dine-in but .. ew. I know some Ihops are as well.

Ironically, I've seen more 24 hour restaurants here in Greensboro than in Charlotte...

True enough....Athens has "local color" cornered in this town. Especially at 3am. I hear that its being knocked down and will not be reintegrated into the redevelopment. That will be a shame for character reasons alone. We do have greasy spoon diners like Skyland etc but we need more quality restaurants to serve later. Hopefully Uptown will fill the void in the next few years. We also need more late night all dessert places like Kaminsky's Most Excellent Cafe in the Market in Charleston :yahoo:

True enough....Athens has "local color" cornered in this town. Especially at 3am. I hear that its being knocked down and will not be reintegrated into the redevelopment. That will be a shame for character reasons alone. We do have greasy spoon diners like Skyland etc but we need more quality restaurants to serve later. Hopefully Uptown will fill the void in the next few years. We also need more late night all dessert places like Kaminsky's Most Excellent Cafe in the Market in Charleston :yahoo:

Yeah my friend's parents own Athens, and say it is being torn down this year sometime.....thats too bad :(

And who could EVER forget the Athens at the corner of Independence and 4th in Elizabeth?!

I would have listed Athens, but he said not to in his original post.

I do agree that Charlotte has less 24 hour places than they used to.

Anyone that has been around for a while would also remember The Plantation, Steak & Egg, Howard Johnsons, and Sambos. The Plantation was located at the corner of Eastway & The Plaza and would be packed at 2am in the morning considering that it was next to two huge bars (Straight & Gay) that were located in the shopping center across the street.

Of course the original Krispy Kremes that used to be located at Independence and Hawthorn and on Wilkenson near where the Paper Doll is now, stayed open all night serving all their treats, coffee, and milk. I don't know if the new places do that.

Another place that is open all night, I think, is Dennys.

I would think that the restaurants going into the Epicentre and surrounding areas will be going late into the night with the additions of movie theatres, nightclubs, etc. We are never going to have the 24/7 nightlife of much larger cities but we can definitely improve. Common Market over in PM is open until 2 or 3 and The Penguin is open late.

And don't forget the Knife and Fork. Too bad its gone. What a hopping place it was between 2 AM and 4 AM!

The Knife and Fork is open now, isn't it? I know it was re-opened but I haven't been by lately to see if it is still open.

I completely agree that we need more late night places, and not just diner-type places with bad pancakes!

Actually we need more late night and 24-hour stores too.

I completely missed that. Sorry. Still, its a Charlotte landmark (soon to be demolished) and its worth going there for the entertainment value alone. Especially at 3 AM!

speaking of landmark... the LANDMARK. right behind san remo on central. in my "late night" days the favorites were knife & fork, athens, and landmark. if i remember correctly MERT'S heart and soul used to serve pretty late.

The Press Box now serves a very limited breakfast menu from 11pm - 3am. I had it Saturday night and it was pretty good. .....

Maybe you want to avoid this one. Apparently theves busted into the Press Box while 60 people in there last night and shook down the crowd for their cash. This was the lead in story on WSOC's 6pm news.

Maybe you want to avoid this one. Apparently theves busted into the Press Box while 60 people in there last night and shook down the crowd for their cash. This was the lead in story on WSOC's 6pm news.

Hmmm, i'll have to look for the story in tomorrow's paper, thats nuts. They have been robbed before, a long time ago, but there were only a couple people in there at the time. But how do you rob 60 people, while a band is playing, in 3 different rooms with 2 exits?

Hmmm, i'll have to look for the story in tomorrow's paper, thats nuts. They have been robbed before, a long time ago, but there were only a couple people in there at the time. But how do you rob 60 people, while a band is playing, in 3 different rooms with 2 exits?

Ahh that was my stupid mistake of believing a news reader on WSOC without checking it first. It was 15 people. :blush: Still, the exprerience would ruin one's dinner I think. I like the Press Box. I have not been there in years, but I do remember watching the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics in there at lunch when I worked in that part of town.

Ahh that was my stupid mistake of believing a news reader on WSOC without checking it first. It was 15 people. :blush: Still, the exprerience would ruin one's dinner I think. I like the Press Box. I have not been there in years, but I do remember watching the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics in there at lunch when I worked in that part of town.

haha, did it at least have windows then Metro? I heard it got renovated and lost all its windows. Now its a dark, smokey hole in the wall bar. They did build one of the cooler back decks around though. I plan on doing a photo thread of the area, i'll make sure to get press box in there.

Archived