IN PROGRESS: Centre of New England

MapmanNo1

and we have had a COSCO i think. I suppose it might have been in Seekonk but i did have a COSCO card in the late 80's, early 90's, pre Sams Club.

Are you sure you arent thinking of Pace? I think the local Sams Clubs were both Pace before they were Sams. The little road Sams is on in Warwick is still called like "Pace Way" or something goofy like that.

I would love a Costco. They treat their employees very well and have great stuff.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. I love Cracker Barrel too. I with they were in Providence.

I too don't understand all of the Cracker Barrel love. It seems in my experience to be yet another mondo-suburban, forced character (you will have fun!) type of place with average, corporate food and a gift shop...

- Garris

I too don't understand all of the Cracker Barrel love. It seems in my experience to be yet another mondo-suburban, forced character (you will have fun!) type of place with average, corporate food and a gift shop...

- Garris

I just like that they sell Stewart's root beer. Feel free to sway me away though, why are they so bad socially?

I just like that they sell Stewart's root beer. Feel free to sway me away though, why are they so bad socially?

i've never eaten at one, but i've heard the food is decent. you can get stewarts at stop and shop or shaws though...

Feel free to sway me away though, why are they so bad socially?

Through the 90s it was corporate policy to flush out at fire gay and lesbian employees. In 1991 they instituted the following policy: called for terminating employees "whose sexual preferences fail to demonstrate normal heterosexual values, which have been the foundation of families in our society." In 2002, the year they scored a zero on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, they bowed to pressure and instituted a non-discrimination policy which protected gay and lesbian employees. While many companies have been slow to adopt these protections, very few had a corporate policy that directly targeted gay and lesbian employees through the end of the 20th century. Their reversal is far too late for me.

There were also numerous claims through the 90s of them directly discriminating against gay and lesbian customers.

This Mother Jones article from Feb. '06 outlines recent claims of discrimination by the company, it also explains some of the past practices of discrimination by the company based on race and sexual orientation.

The company is also accused (with 7 others) of making illegal campaign contributions to the Texas Republic Party, which forced House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to resign his position.

Through the 90s it was corporate policy to flush out at fire gay and lesbian employees. In 1991 they instituted the following policy: called for terminating employees "whose sexual preferences fail to demonstrate normal heterosexual values, which have been the foundation of families in our society." In 2002, the year they scored a zero on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, they bowed to pressure and instituted a non-discrimination policy which protected gay and lesbian employees. While many companies have been slow to adopt these protections, very few had a corporate policy that directly targeted gay and lesbian employees through the end of the 20th century. Their reversal is far too late for me.

There were also numerous claims through the 90s of them directly discriminating against gay and lesbian customers.

This Mother Jones article from Feb. '06 outlines recent claims of discrimination by the company, it also explains some of the past practices of discrimination by the company based on race and sexual orientation.

The company is also accused (with 7 others) of making illegal campaign contributions to the Texas Republic Party, which forced House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to resign his position.

WOW. Nuff' said...

Isn't is illegal to discriminate like that?

Not in some states.

I remember there was accusations of African-American discrimination as well a la Denny's.

The company that owns Cracker Barrel also owns/operates Logan's Roadhouse. Its a Lone Star ripoff, complete with peanuts that you can shell and toss on the floor. I think the closest one to RI is in PA and they are mostly in the south/midwest. Something like 150 restaurants. I dont frequent them either but mostly due to bad food. Now I have another reason.

Not in every state.

"The U.S. Congress has failed to pass the Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA) since it was first proposed in 1994. As of April 2004, 14 states and the District of Columbia prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation in both the public and private sectors. Nearly half of the U.S. population lives in a state or municipality with a sexual orientation nondiscrimination law. This is a significant increase compared to data from 1990, when only eight percent of the population lived in an area with a sexual orientation nondiscrimination law." [National Gay & Lesbian Task Force]

State-by-State [HRC]

Rhode Island has pretty strong record re: non-discrimination laws.

Anywho, back to exurban sprawl...

I don't understand how someone can be fired for being homosexual. Is there a company policy which requires that an employee declare sexual orientation for company records? Is there an internal task force deployed in each corporately-owned store periodically with gaydar guns?

Motel 6 faced a class action lawsuit years ago similar to Denny's. An African-American sued the company claiming that every time he stayed he was assigned a "C" room at the very back of the building because of race. The company settled it, and as a result all front office employees must offer arriving guests a choice of a few different rooms, allowing the guest to choose their own location from what is available.

Sorry to carry on with the :offtopic: convo.

i've never eaten at one, but i've heard the food is decent. you can get stewarts at stop and shop or shaws though...

They make a good chicken-fried steak. That dish is not served at most establishments up here. I did not know they discriminated like that. I'll have to go find another restaurant that serves that dish!

Yes I have been there. I'm not going to get into the Walmart hate, that's way too long an explanation. And being an amenity? Getting peice of sh!t products for not even that cheap prices in the long run, that's no amenity. If you actually shopped at the different little stores you mention, you'd find you get much better quality and often just as inexpensive prices, especially when we're talking about local stores like meat markets, etc.

And as usual, my gripe is not even really with the economics behind this, but rather the physical form. Sure, jobs are great. Do we really want this activity in a formerly rural area though? And is this the best physical design? NO! Sure it's perfect for a massive sprawling development, if that's what we want.

hey recch... i dont like the way they look either

we had some contests in college to rehab old big box stores for reuse into viable architecture for the areas they are located in

they build them that way because they do mounds of research to find the best economical way and functional way of building their stores, which obviously contradicts with asthetics, ask CVS about it, businesses are risk adverse. they do not stray from what works. it could cost money. it could cost jobs. which means, lots of "little people" will be out on the street

side note- case study of walmart in college had as an anecdote that even the CEO travels cheap. they only allow employees to use discount travel and accommodation services, which is a policy of cost-cutting that runs from top to bottom. people should atleast respect that.

and yes i see it as an amenity

i feel that their ability to give "decent" options on a wide range of products is of value to me

paper goods, electronics, dvds & cds, bathroom products, and linens, etc are cheap and decent enough for me to handle buying them, especially back in college

the 20 different stores cost gas, some times built-in debt overheads, and on the whole much less in warranties and much less accountability, etc

and a lot of the times they are selling the same products or products that are very similar in quality

i know theres a difference between the best and worst toilet paper, but who cares where the middle of the road TP comes from as long as its a few bucks cheaper than at other places :blink:

all that being said... i like target, lol :shades:

did you know that they believe their #1 competetive advantage is just being a cleaner version of walmart's business model... its true- did some case studies on them as well

next time you are there notice their aisles and the way things are organized

back to work, lata y'all

• 5 months later...

Archived