IN PROGRESS: Centre of New England

MapmanNo1

thank you in advance for the migraine that i'm now getting from the oxymoron "Super" walmart, and the idea of msg laden "chicken" flavored crackers. That is so wrong. what's next? tuna crackers? balogna crackers? Will the madness ever end?!!

slightly on topic, i took a tour of those condos down at centre of new england and i think we're going to buy one.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you in advance for the migraine that i'm now getting from the oxymoron "Super" walmart, and the idea of msg laden "chicken" flavored crackers. That is so wrong. what's next? tuna crackers? balogna crackers? Will the madness ever end?!!

slightly on topic, i took a tour of those condos down at centre of new england and i think we're going to buy one.

THAT is America's weakness in the first place. Notice how injecting the word "sensibly" pacifies the need to evaluate whether or not compartmentalizing your financial actions and your convictions is good or bad? What's sensible about seeing no relation between your purchases and the effects they may have when we live in a world where the most powerful governance is that of economic entities?

One point though:

"So why is the woman shopping here anyway? She looks at the questioner as though he is dimwitted and directs his attention to the low prices of the DVDs on the rack next to her.

Sensibly, she compartmentalizes her moods and her money."

THAT is America's weakness in the first place. Notice how injecting the word "sensibly" pacifies the need to evaluate whether or not compartmentalizing your financial actions and your convictions is good or bad? What's sensible about seeing no relation between your purchases and the effects they may have when we live in a world where the most powerful governance is that of economic entities?

Well I agreed with the article for the most part. But I'm not a liberal, so the poisonous element was not detected.

Just another story of how a successful American company can become a political target. Its a free market with competition and Wal-Mart is winning. The notion that the company's success is not fair and we ought to have the government step in to make it easier for unionized retailers or any other such competition to catch up is simply ridiculous.

But nothing I read this week got me more fired up than this. Its almost enough for me to consider relocating to Kansas.

... I won't even begin to go into how that is merely a left-wing concern (or portrayed as such for the sake of pacifying right-wingers) but you make an excellent argument.

By this point I'm sure I've come off as one of those very liberals that are soooooo full of themselves that they miss Wal-Mart's "public service", but honestly, the political spectrum serves as nothing but a polarizer and a tool to harness opinions into "teams". There are only right or wrong conclusions and decisions. All people of all parties are capable of their share of both. Often times, power of influence supersedes the honest contemplation of being wrong when your speaking about politicians AND business entities (money is power too, and it buys a lot of influence). So don't let others make you choose sides, make yourself choose objective solutions. I'm going to bed.

are we sure the "chicken flavored snack crackers" aren't the Walmart brand doggie treats?????

Having major inroads in the meat industry - I've been told that almost all the meat available at Walmart is pre-packaged (poor quality - lowest market price) junk. The store is something 202K sq. ft. and have already heard horror stories about how people couln't wait to 'one-stop' shop for all thier stuff only to discover that the gallon of milk is a half-mile away from the Q-tips!!

Does this Walmart have a barber shop, travel agency, daycare center, eyeglass shop, photo studio and Dunkin Donuts like the ones in New York have?

I really hate that Walmart is now in the grocery business. Grocery stores, despite most being chains, have usually been able to stay as regional chains at the largest. I don't mind shopping at Shaw's since my dollars go to Boston, and I love shopping at Trucchi's or Dave's because my dollars go to Taunton and Rhode Island. But sending my money straight to Bentonville, Arkansas, a place in which those made rich will do nothing for my economy, really bothers me.

Archived