CHARLOTTE vs. DALLAS

Rwarky

Which city is the most interesting to live in?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the most interesting to live in?

• Charlotte, NC
    • Dallas, TX

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which city is the most interesting to live in: Charlotte, NC or Dallas, TX?

I'm sorry, I'm from Charlotte, but it doesn't compare to Dallas as far as that "interesting to live in" aspect goes. Charlotte just doesn't have that kind of atmosphere yet. It is still diluted by banking to be interesting. With all the new uptown life coming, that is bound to change; but as of today, Dallas wins by a long shot.

I think this thread is a bit too ambitious. Charlotte won't be in Dallas's league, for like another 25-30 years.

Population wise, the city of Dallas is not that much bigger than Charlotte. Besides an aquarium, light-rail, and a bigger transit system, what does Dallas have that Charlotte doesn't?

Population-wise, the city of Dallas is roughly twice as large as Charlotte (1.2M vs. 594K, 2004 figures).

When I speak about large population differences, I do so by the millions (e.g.: NYC population versus Dallas's population).

When I speak about large population differences, I do so by the millions (e.g.: NYC population versus Dallas's population).

What the heck? Half a million people is sill a huge difference. That's twice the population of the city of Charlotte. What is the population of metro Charlotte? Metro Dallas is over 5 million and counting...

Let's see, what else does Dallas have that Charlotte doesn't? Tons of huge suburbs (and I mean huge as far as suburbs go... some with a couple hundred thousand people in themselves,) Six Flags Over Texas, a sister city (Ft. Worth) that is almost the size of Charlotte in itself, numerous cultural districts, TWO Bass Pro Shops, DFW airport, and I could continue to go on.

Nothing against Charlotte, as I haven't been there, but having been to Dallas literally dozens and dozens of times and seen and read a lot about Charlotte, I'd say there's truly no comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit Charlotte, but I just can't see any similarities between Dallas and Charlotte.

What the heck? Half a million people is sill a huge difference. That's twice the population of the city of Charlotte. What is the population of metro Charlotte? Metro Dallas is over 5 million and counting...

Let's see, what else does Dallas have that Charlotte doesn't? Tons of huge suburbs (and I mean huge as far as suburbs go... some with a couple hundred thousand people in themselves,) Six Flags Over Texas, a sister city (Ft. Worth) that is almost the size of Charlotte in itself, numerous cultural districts, TWO Bass Pro Shops, DFW airport, and I could continue to go on.

Nothing against Charlotte, as I haven't been there, but having been to Dallas literally dozens and dozens of times and seen and read a lot about Charlotte, I'd say there's truly no comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit Charlotte, but I just can't see any similarities between Dallas and Charlotte.

Actually the pop is about 6.2 million now.

I have to go with SBCmetroguy here; twice as large is definitely a large population difference in my book. And even then, if you want to go by the millions, we can use UA and MSA figures; that would definitely give you a difference of a few million in each case.

Dallas has several large skylines, a more extensive freeway system, more shopping, a larger number of people living downtown, Deep Ellum which makes NoDa look very bad, professional baseball, etc.

Maybe Charlotte could try this with Ft. Worth. I have lived in both cities and have visited them both (Charlotte twice) since January. They are even building more faster in Dallas. Also, as some food for thought, for every 1 person who moves to the Charlotte area, 3 move to Dallas.

my source:

http://www.demographia.com/db-metmic2004.pdf

Yes, I know that Dallas is larger than Charlotte. But, what does Dallas (the municipality itself) offer that Charlotte doesn't? Both cities have lots of shopping, Pro sports teams, freeways, both regions have a mills mall with Bass Pro Shops (Whoopyty doo!!), and Charlotte has Paramount Carowinds. BTW, Six Flags over Texas is in Arlington.

Yes, I know that Dallas is larger than Charlotte. But, what does Dallas (the municipality itself) offer that Charlotte doesn't? Both cities have lots of shopping, Pro sports teams, freeways, both regions have a mills mall with Bass Pro Shops (Whoopyty doo!!), and Charlotte has Paramount Carowinds. BTW, Six Flags over Texas is in Arlington.

It seems like you want an answer that is subjective. Which ever city you like, and prefer to live in is up to you. However in the sheer number of everything, and then some, Dallas is the winner by a looong shot. I mean, it's like trying to compare Boston to NYC. NYC trumps Boston in every everything, however the city you prefer, is up to you.

Archived