CHARLOTTE vs. DALLAS

Rwarky

Which city is the most interesting to live in?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the most interesting to live in?

• Charlotte, NC
    • Dallas, TX

Yes, I know that Dallas is larger than Charlotte. But, what does Dallas (the municipality itself) offer that Charlotte doesn't? Both cities have lots of shopping, Pro sports teams, freeways, both regions have a mills mall with Bass Pro Shops (Whoopyty doo!!), and Charlotte has Paramount Carowinds. BTW, Six Flags over Texas is in Arlington.

Okay, now I know you can't be serious.

And for the record, Arlington is as much a part of Dallas as Bossier City is Shreveport and North Little Rock is Little Rock. it's all basically one large city. You asked for examples and I gave some. That's it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, I'm from Charlotte, but it doesn't compare to Dallas as far as that "interesting to live in" aspect goes. Charlotte just doesn't have that kind of atmosphere yet. It is still diluted by banking to be interesting. With all the new uptown life coming, that is bound to change; but as of today, Dallas wins by a long shot.
Exactly! It took Charlotte all this time to finally get comfortable with NASCAR. Too many stuffed shirts to be interesting. And even with the NASCAR Hall of Fame coming, does that signal a change in Charlotte or a shift in NASCAR? I think it's the latter...precisely because I find Charlotte so uninteresting. Was it Dennis Rodman who said, "Charlotte seems like a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there" or is that an old line used for any number of cities? (I've only heard it applied to Charlotte...and rightly so, I think.)

Charlotte is definitely a fine place to live. But when it comes to interesting -- by practically any definition or using almost any standard -- it's too bland and blah to score points that most communities, from small burghs to great metropolises can lay claim to, even if it's just for quirkiness. It's difficult to imagine communities that fall below Charlotte when you confine the discussion to "interesting" -- unless it can be interesting because it is so astonishingly the opposite of interesting. Alas, allow me to stop here before I cross a line into criticism, because this isn't intended to be an attack. Frankly, there are many places that are "interesting" chiefly for reasons that have negative associations. In fact, Newark, NJ springs to mind as a place that's light years more interesting than Charlotte.

Exactly! It took Charlotte all this time to finally get comfortable with NASCAR. Too many stuffed shirts to be interesting. And even with the NASCAR Hall of Fame coming, does that signal a change in Charlotte or a shift in NASCAR? I think it's the latter...precisely because I find Charlotte so uninteresting. Was it Dennis Rodman who said, "Charlotte seems like a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there" or is that an old line used for any number of cities? (I've only heard it applied to Charlotte...and rightly so, I think.)

Charlotte is definitely a fine place to live. But when it comes to interesting -- by practically any definition or using almost any standard -- it's too bland and blah to score points that most communities, from small burghs to great metropolises can lay claim to, even if it's just for quirkiness. It's difficult to imagine communities that fall below Charlotte when you confine the discussion to "interesting" -- unless it can be interesting because it is so astonishingly the opposite of interesting. Alas, allow me to stop here before I cross a line into criticism, because this isn't intended to be an attack. Frankly, there are many places that are "interesting" chiefly for reasons that have negative associations. In fact, Newark, NJ springs to mind as a place that's light years more interesting than Charlotte.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I've been chastised many times for basically saying Charlotte is an excellent place for families, but it just doesn't have that kick that big cities usually have.

It's almost like trying to compare a BMW to a Cadillac. Sure Cadillac has some unique features, more family oriented, and makes for a fine automobile. BMW on the other hand offers more kick, uniqueness, permformance, and is geared toward a more singles crowd.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I've been chastised many times for basically saying Charlotte is an excellent place for families, but it just doesn't have that kick that big cities usually have.

One wonders why someone who doesn't even live in Charlotte has to continue comments in a thread like this that leads to you being criticized, many times. If you are referring to being chastised here for your many comments about Charlotte it is because you were making baiting posts whose only purpose was to piss off people. Given that you have already said in other threads that you don't know anything about Charlotte I wonder why you continue to persist in a thread where people are suppose to say why they are interested in one over the other.

Anyone who can boil down two cities that contain the total of millions of people in their metros, to the difference between driving a BMW and a Cadillac is doing nothing but baiting and isn't providing anything that anyone on this forum wants to read, except for maybe the trolls.

To the rest of you. If you don't stick to why you think one is interesting over the other, then I am going to close this thread.

Metro M, we're not criticizing Charlotte, we're just explaining our reasoning and we're not trying to piss people off. (at least not in this thread) This is just the way a lot of us feel. I think Charlotte is great but it just doesn't compare to Dallas. Size shouldn't always be an issue since many smaller cities and metros and way more exciting that some bigger ones, but in this case Dallas Ft. Worth's size gives it more prestige, and more things to do, which makes it a more exciting place to live.

I certainly will admit to having never been to Charlotte. Having been to Dallas many, many times and having read a lot about, and seen many pictures of Charlotte, I used that as the basis for my judgement.

I hope nothing I said was taken personally, although it seems some things in this thread obviously have been. That said, I'm bowing out of this discussion.

Laterz, Gatorz!

I still dont see how 11 people think that Charlotte is more interesting than Dallas. Does anyone have anything to back that up?

Well I see that people ignored my advice above. Honestly I haven't seen anything posted in this thread that would say why Dallas is more interesting than Charlotte other than its bigger, it must be more interesting.

We, unfortunately get a lot of juveniles on this site. :rolleyes:

Archived