Historic Intown Neighborhoods

Spartan

Over the past decade or so, Spartanburg has become much more focused on addressing the issues that prevent it from succeeding. The efforts in the so-called "Northside" area are the best example of that progress.

That being said, the other concentrations of poverty shouldn't be ignored. The Highland neighborhood is a great example of this, and kudos to the Herald-Journal for highlighting the challenges this neighborhood faces.

13 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Over the past decade or so, Spartanburg has become much more focused on addressing the issues that prevent it from succeeding. The efforts in the so-called "Northside" area are the best example of that progress.

That being said, the other concentrations of poverty shouldn't be ignored. The Highland neighborhood is a great example of this, and kudos to the Herald-Journal for highlighting the challenges this neighborhood faces.

Norris Ridge, owned by an out-of-town landlord, has ALWAYS been a problem for Highland residents.  Norris Ridge needs to go.  I bet the SPD would agree, 

I doubt Norris Ridge goes away anytime soon.  The City would probably need to condemn/eminent-domain it like Oakview in the Northside, but there would need to be a public use planned for the site (community center, school, maybe public housing?).  And the City would need funding to buy the site even if they did that.  Alas, the money isn't there to do all of these things that need doing at the same time.  So unfortunately, Norris Ridge will likely be here for a while.

That is a great article about the neighborhood, and I understand the residents desiring more single-family housing, but I hope some mixed-use / commercial space is also included.  The area needs more commercial buildings to accommodate small businesses, which can provide jobs (and services) for those living in the neighborhood.  Definitely need more market-rate housing in the area too, but that could be a tough sell, at least initially.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

In addition to the three new houses being built in Converse Heights that I mentioned a few months ago, this weekend I noticed site work starting on 3 lots in the nearby Carrington development (see map below).  There's currently only 5 homes in the area, but there are 35+ lots.  Hopefully this is the start of more to come.

carrington.JPG.2852fbc9ecaf7773cd0a7fb5e31f5d5f.JPG

Follow-up on the above: Looks like there's actually 4 homes about to be built in Carrington.  Found listings online.  Designs look quite nice. They're 2,600 to 3,000 sq ft and $445k to $490k.

Edit: Apparently there are 6 new homes planned.  But only 3 underway so far.

Edited by westsider28

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed today that the City has put out an RFP for the 2.32 acre triangular lot on S Daniel Morgan adjacent to Hampton Heights (see below).  The site is in an Opportunity Zone and not within Urban Code boundaries (zoned LOD), though the City is encouraging an urban proposal including residential (mixed-income) and maybe commercial, that fits the character of the area.  I'll be interested to see what Hampton Heights residents think about this.  I would almost prefer the site be formalized as a park, but development could help extend downtown and better connect it with HH and even Highland further up the street.

708193590_SDMtri.JPG.b342451d3fa813be5b65bbc817aa849f.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spartan said:

If I lived in Hampton Heights I would want to see that developed into something. I hope the City will get a reasonably urban product out of it. That part of DMA could use a road diet too, though.

I love to see Daniel Morgan Avenue spruced up in this area.  

A few updates from the Converse Heights area.  Two of the 3 new-build houses in CH are finishing up.  Also, I noticed 639 Crystal Drive was torn down and a new house is being built on the lot.  And renovation work on Cleveland Hall is well underway.

Avant Street townhouses are finally starting to go vertical.

IMG_1867.thumb.JPG.6bdfef54c0271220c4843f6c3352aab2.JPG

Three new houses in Carrington are framed, with a 4th started.

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.8f0a0c766df9d171db78aa490881847a.JPG

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.44484bd4e7b9534376ef9c453f152813.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In Carrington, there are actually 3 additional foundations underway, for a total of 6 new homes.

1035097490_IMG_1947(3).thumb.jpg.584e0085e94c94c6245283bff785c763.jpg

Cleveland Hall has a new roof, as renovations continue.

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.672742b837de2818dd85c1cc448e6306.JPG

And one cluster of Avant Street townhouses are up to the 2nd floor.  Two more clusters are on their first floor, and the others' foundations have yet to be poured.

IMG_1988.thumb.JPG.15996a5c7aa29847e5e8d8ae82c36f88.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple miscellaneous updates:  According to the Carrington website, all 6 new homes are now sold.  Hopefully they'll start on some more, as the demand is clearly there.

Colliers is marketing an odd interior parcel in Fernwood near the old Spartan High for potentially townhomes, it appears.  A curb cut already exists for the street ROW off Fernwood Drive that would access the parcel.  It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition.

719769879_Fernwood-SHSinfill.thumb.jpg.5e116fd18efcb7016107cbd76333941d.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, westsider28 said:

A couple miscellaneous updates:  According to the Carrington website, all 6 new homes are now sold.  Hopefully they'll start on some more, as the demand is clearly there.

Colliers is marketing an odd interior parcel in Fernwood near the old Spartan High for potentially townhomes, it appears.  A curb cut already exists for the street ROW off Fernwood Drive that would access the parcel.  It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition.

Wonder if that area is zoned for that...  interesting.