Historic Intown Neighborhoods

Spartan

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

City Council is apparently reconsidering granting Beaumont Mill village a place on the local historic register. The council voted to place the matter on the agenda at a later date.

Herald-Journal article

This is good news. I hope the council will move forward and eventually place Beaumont Mill village on the historic register.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news: The Preservation Trust has closed. They relied on selling the houses they renovated to pay for their efforts, and with the economy and housing market so bad this isn't too much of a surprise. It's a shame too, as these folks have done some great work for Spartanburg's historic neighborhoods- particularly Hampton Heights.

Herald-Journal Article

• 3 months later...

This is an atypical post for UrbanPlanet...

Spartanburg's City Council voted to install new sewer lines in Beaumont. While this may not seem like a big deal, it is actually a big step forward towards the revitalization of that neighborhood. I've heard for years that there are constant sewer back-ups in that neighborhood, and I know for a fact they have had the same sewer lines since the 1920s or so (basically when that neighborhood was built). As such many of the cast-iron pipes have rusted through or are clogged due to lack of maintenance. Perspective buyers in this neighborhood are probably turned away in part by that information... but ultimately the City is showing that they are willing to reinvest in the infrastructure of Beaumont. Sewer lines are probably the first of many infrastructure improvements to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great editorial by Mayor Junie White from Sunday's paper (I didn't read it until today) about the possible local historic designation for Beaumont Mills. He does a nice job explaining the positives of the designation and allaying some of the fears or misunderstandings people may have about it.

Herald-Journal editorial

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wasn't sure weather it would be best to create a new topic or stick what I have to say in here. I'll leave that to the mods.

Anyway, me and a buddy of mine operate an industrial distributorship over on the west side of Spartanburg. We have been leasing from the same guy for 8 years now. Our business has grown to the point where we know we know we have made it to stay in business and excel over the life of the business. Since I handle most of the operations I have begun to look around some in different parts of town for new diggs that we would own outright instead of continuing to lease. What I am looking for is a building much like our own that is about 2000 sq.ft. for offices and about 5000 for warehouse space. It must also have a loading dock.

I have been looking in out of favor or slightly run down neighborhoods for this space mostly due to price. Location is not really important and we'd be willing to take into consideration structures that need work if the price is right. We are not a big enough company yet where we are going to come in and change a neighborhood, but we may help in getting the ball rolling.

Does anyone know of anywhere that meets what I am describing above?

• 3 weeks later...

That's a tough question. You'd think with Spartanburg being a more industrial city that there would be plenty of options for you. My first thought was Union St. Short of that, I don't know the Spartanburg market well enough. I hope you are able to find something, and hopefully its in the city limits!

• 5 months later...

So...here we go again with speed humps.  :dontknow:  

This time 6 of them are being considered for various locations in Converse Heights.  We've discussed this before, but I think they're a bad idea, and many superior alternatives exist.  Basically all the comments under the H-J article are against them.  I hope CH residents vote against the speed humps.

Yeah, those are brutal but they serve their purpose in that I never go that way anymore. I am not sure the residents want them as much as they say. If you think about it, it could harm property value. Would you ever move onto a street that had them? I sure wouldn't.

Exactly. And by forcing people to take certain routes, additional traffic is created on those streets. I don't see speeding as a problem in Converse Heights, although I can understand it happening on Connecticut. Speed humps do work to slow average speeds, but usually by around 3-5mph at the humps themselves. If the problem is speeding above 10mph over the speed limit, then I have to question the use of speed humps as a preventative measure.

In my opinion, if you want to slow people down on that street, remove the center stripes. It will change the look and feel of the street to a slower street, and I bet you'd see some slow down. The other thing that could be done is to install mini-roundabouts at 2-3 intersections to meter the speed of traffic, since you remove the "straight-away" effect.

Exactly. And by forcing people to take certain routes, additional traffic is created on those streets. I don't see speeding as a problem in Converse Heights, although I can understand it happening on Connecticut. Speed humps do work to slow average speeds, but usually by around 3-5mph at the humps themselves. If the problem is speeding above 10mph over the speed limit, then I have to question the use of speed humps as a preventative measure.

In my opinion, if you want to slow people down on that street, remove the center stripes. It will change the look and feel of the street to a slower street, and I bet you'd see some slow down. The other thing that could be done is to install mini-roundabouts at 2-3 intersections to meter the speed of traffic, since you remove the "straight-away" effect.

Have lived in Converse Heights for 9 years and speeding IS a problem. More 4 way stops would be helpful to slow down traffic. When I lived in Atlanta my area had speed humps and small traffic islands. A car could easily go 40 MPH through the islands. The speed humps did the trick; slower traffic and less cut through. Plus, humps are much cheaper than islands or mini-roundabouts.  Yes, they are a pain, but I believe that they do slow down traffic.      

Speed humps were installed on Glendalyn a few years back, despite it having on-street parking and no centerline (and it's just one block with stoplights on both ends).  I wonder if more traffic now uses Norwood and Otis (and Mills)?

Connecticut is supposed to be repaved soon (it's a state road), so that would be an opportunity to remove lines (I doubt the state would do that).  I sounds like only 2 speed humps would be installed, probably near Hollywood since the article implies that SHS traffic is mostly the problem.  Intersecting streets at that end of Conn. are staggered, which would make it difficult to make stop signs work (traffic could back up and block streets).

I don't know what the solution is.  I wish Spartanburg had a better street grid and/or more high-volume residential thoroughfares, so we could better handle traffic.