Historic Intown Neighborhoods

Spartan

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, westsider28 said:

Looks like Phase 2 is beginning at the Townes at Converse.  This is directly behind the row of townhomes fronting Avant Street and will be accessed by an alley.  The original site plan is below as a reminder.  However, GIS reveals that they have also purchased those few holdout properties along Oakwood, so they now have a fully contiguous site (they can probably get ~18 more units in addition to the 66 originally planned).

IMG_3078.thumb.JPG.b5bf1d7660c757296c297c90ce4adc8e.JPG

767336834_Avanttownhomes.thumb.JPG.4481eb5a80e43b720c4a25bb83a62c60.JPG

1027279133_townesatconversesite.JPG.2487112c61574f6e5c611ce091a0d93a.JPG

Lucky Penny Drive will get a small parking lot (needed, as it's already a tight fit, and not all the units are constructed). The Oakwood Avenue equivalent will get some green space called "Park Sparkle," which will be a venue to host movies for the residents and the like.  

I got a follow-up email about the Duncan Park Revitalization process that had a map of potential improvements to the park (click on it below to zoom in and see everything).

1895130896_DuncanPark02.2023Plan.thumb.jpg.77af43470610f7e6c7aa0580318f8f8d.jpg

Some of the potential plans:

-Connection to the Rail Trail (possibly already funded by the recent grant)

-Roundabout at Park Drive & S. Converse Street

-A bridge across part of the lake

-A paved path around the park

-Revival of the old amphitheater in the woods (including clearing undergrowth for visibility/usability)

-Boat ramp for non-motorized boats (kayaks, canoes)

-Improvements to existing facilities (baseball fields, playground), added restrooms, additional facilities (poss. basketball, pickleball, climbing wall, etc)

Which improvements would you like to see most?  Any other ideas?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 9:37 PM, westsider28 said:

I got a follow-up email about the Duncan Park Revitalization process that had a map of potential improvements to the park (click on it below to zoom in and see everything).

-Revival of the old amphitheater in the woods (including clearing undergrowth for visibility/usability)

-Improvements to existing facilities (baseball fields, playground), added restrooms, additional facilities (poss. basketball, pickleball, climbing wall, etc)

As a follow-up to this, the City is planning a pilot program to allow non-motorized boating (kayaks, canoes) on Duncan Park Lake starting on weekends this fall.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:37 PM, westsider28 said:

These are all great ideas. if I had to pick, I'd say connect to rail trail and build a trail around the park are top priorities. I like reviving the old amphitheater and generally activating the wooded areas. The bridge isn't a terrible idea, but should be lower priority, IMO. If/when they build a bridge, make it more iconic than the one in Cleveland Park.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past few weeks, I've seen a notice in the paper a few times about the abandonment of a portion of an alley through the Fairview on Main property.  I think we generally allow far too many public road abandonments, but I suppose this instance isn't too bad.  The main thing it says to me is that perhaps we'll finally get some movement on building construction here soon. Even though their website has them at only 1 reserved home, down from 3 at one point. (The website does say "Spring 2023" now, at least.)

Great news for Hampton Heights (seen on Instagram)- "To begin next week, 90 trees will be planted along the city’s right-of-way on 5 streets in our neighborhood! We are grateful for the incredible generosity of the Noble Tree Foundation, the Balmer Foundation, anonymous donors and the Hampton Heights Neighborhood Association for providing the funding needed to bring this dream to fruition."

This will help to restore some of the tree canopy that was lost in the tornado a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

Board of Zoning Appeals has received a request for variance to the minimum lot size requirement for "Caulder Avenue Duplexes".  This is a cul-de-sac platted years ago between Duncan Park and South Converse that is now owned and being developed by Spartanburg Housing (see map below).  Hopefully things like lot size and setbacks are updated in the new zoning code to be less restrictive, so we can build more density that we need to increase housing stock and create more walkable neighborhoods.

1272730384_caulderduplexes.thumb.jpg.d0993b0a9eeac120e55cc614d288d8ea.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize this year was the 100th anniversary of Duncan Park (the park, not the ballpark).  This Post & Courier article talks about the planned improvements to the park (to come in phases), including upgrades to the existing trail, new paved trails, a new trail around the lake, pickleball courts, shelters and new bathrooms.  The first projects include building a dock at the lake which is accessible to people with disabilities and a storage unit for kayaks. Invasive plants will be removed from the park’s trail system this fall.  In early 2024, a new plaza will be constructed near the little league ball fields at the park. A new shelter and picnic tables will also be built nearby.  Really looking forward to these improvements.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

According to this H-J article, City Council approved a resolution certifying a building at 641 E. Main St. as an abandoned building site under the terms of the South Carolina Abandoned Building Revitalization Act. The action means the building has been unoccupied for at least five years.  The building's new owners, 641 E. Main, LLC, are pursuing state tax credits to redevelop the site.  The existing structure will be replaced with a two-story office building. The investment will be a minimum of $1.6 million.

It's a shame to lose the unique and attractive historic Spanish mission-style home on the site.  This is beyond the DRB's purview, so hopefully the replacement building will be sited appropriately and look relatively attractive.  There's been quite the flurry of renovations along this stretch of East Main recently.  And yet, the Fairview on Main site continues to sit fallow...

641em.thumb.jpg.ed0fcb6856938736f34512d581d56a9f.jpg

• Confused 1

On the one hand, ALAS! That is my FAVORITE home-ish structure in Spartanburg. Always day dreamed of owning it, and fantasized of turning it into a coffee shop/wine bar (not sufficient parking, hence the fantasizing part!). At the same time, from talking to fellow realtors who knew more about it, there was EXTENSIVE termite damage in place, sadly, as the property had been not well taken care of these last few years while it was on sale. I've heard it will be used as a headquarters for one of our key players in town in the restaurant sphere. Having said all that, interesting development for that section of the Eastside, or Uptown, as some are starting to call it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

On the one hand, ALAS! That is my FAVORITE home-ish structure in Spartanburg. Always day dreamed of owning it, and fantasized of turning it into a coffee shop/wine bar (not sufficient parking, hence the fantasizing part!). At the same time, from talking to fellow realtors who knew more about it, there was EXTENSIVE termite damage in place, sadly, as the property had been not well taken care of these last few years while it was on sale. I've heard it will be used as a headquarters for one of our key players in town in the restaurant sphere. Having said all that, interesting development for that section of the Eastside, or Uptown, as some are starting to call it.

Thanks for the info.  I hope they salvage some of the materials (but I'm not holding my breath).  The tiles on the roof seem like they could be valuable.  And it looks like there are stained glass windows on the Fairview side.

641em3.thumb.jpg.324a45f0198576c11e2cc97b31de7f33.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this is more or less inevitable. The days of wealthy people building their homes in prominent locations is long gone. We're fortunate to have a few remnants, but as the market changes, so must the city.

There are a few towns around that still retain this feature of prominent homes on primary streets (historically speaking). These are generally smaller towns that were fortunate enough to avoid the worst of the 50s-90s era of growth. Laurens is a really great example.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently the Oakwood townhomes are back from the dead.  Landscape plans were approved recently, according to the March 21 Planning Commission agenda.  This is the site at 153 Oakwood Avenue at Garrett Street, where there's currently a decaying medical office.  Here's the site plan from years ago, when the idea was first proposed.

OakwoodTHssiteplan.thumb.jpg.1f2d16e406778c75d93cc5ac1510acbb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 5:45 PM, westsider28 said:

Apparently the Oakwood townhomes are back from the dead.  Landscape plans were approved recently, according to the March 21 Planning Commission agenda.  This is the site at 153 Oakwood Avenue at Garrett Street, where there's currently a decaying medical office.  Here's the site plan from years ago, when the idea was first proposed.

OakwoodTHssiteplan.thumb.jpg.1f2d16e406778c75d93cc5ac1510acbb.jpg

Here's the new site plan for the now "Oslo townhomes".  Looks like 20 units (down from 22).  Also looks like a worse site plan, with no units facing Oakwood (which is kind of the primary street).  Still good density, but it's disheartening to see all these developments being "close but not quite there".  If I had to guess the reason for the change, I'd say fire truck access, which is a friction point amongst urbanists all over the US.  (basically our fire trucks are too big and it hampers good urbanism)  Maybe some grade issues too, IDK.

Oslotownhomes.thumb.jpg.929ec4a78223cee82af44db61d3e4098.jpg