Retail Possibilities?

GRDadof3

What kind of retail do you guys think would work at the East end of Monroe Center (near Division)? Something in the 1200 - 2400 square foot range. Bakeries, art galleries, gourmet ice cream, cigars?? Just curious what everyone would like to see (besides Whole Foods and Trader Joe's), or if they know of anyone looking to open a retail store.

Something to tap into patrons to the Civic or the Children's Museum?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that you bring this up, because it looks like "A Pear", the women's shoe store, closed. From what I heard, Little Bohemia might take over the space with their own shoe department. Too bad about A Pear, I hate to see anyone willing to take a risk on downtown retail fail.

i'd like to see some retailers in the order of Gap, and Banana Republic eventually make there way to Monroe Center, having that kind of retailing downtown would be outstanding, as I was there this weekend, Monroe Center looks better and better, but has turned in to somewhat of a food court. As more people discover downtown, and more tourists make there way, Having Retailers on the national level, even if they are Gap and such, would add a bit of Officiality, on the health of the area.

I can see something filling the young woman demographic.

Like a nail salon? Oops, that's across Division.

ETA: a cafe or restaurant or afterglow-type of place to compliment the new & improved Civic. Considering the 'hood, perhaps a donut shop? (Four Friends East?) Kid-friendly place but not an attractive nuisance (yep, I love Little Bohemia, but would never take small kiddies in there all hyped up from the CM).

What works with the existing sporting goods (shoes and jerseys) and the brand-new nail salon? How large are the spaces?

ETA: "The tan portion of the building right by the corner of monroe center is already finished and is the new dance studio." (from the Civic thread)

This might be a long shot, but I can see lots of positives to this idea: Wouldn't it be nice to have at least one of our local news stations open a studio downtown at ground level, kind of like the Fox news has Fox & Friends?

Granted, it will not be the "draw" that a big city may have, but it would be a nice addition and would add a different sort of atmosphere to any intersection downtown.

What do you all think? Good or bad?

This might be a long shot, but I can see lots of positives to this idea: Wouldn't it be nice to have at least one of our local news stations open a studio downtown at ground level, kind of like the Fox news has Fox & Friends?

Granted, it will not be the "draw" that a big city may have, but it would be a nice addition and would add a different sort of atmosphere to any intersection downtown.

I think it would be cool, as long as there aren't a bunch of doofuses holding signs in the background, like those people on Good Morning America when they do the weather.

The property at Fulton and Division was my spot for the marquee. I like the idea of having a studio opening up to the street, but can you say ultra expensive :)

Bakeries, art galleries, gourmet ice cream, cigars??

All of these things and more. It has to create a culture that makes people want to stay downtown.

Make Sheldon and Park streets (between Fulton and Libary) pedestrian only. Put all of the eclectic retail/restaurants here just like they do in most European cities. Has anyone been to Barcelona?

Ramblas

The Ramblas is a long boulevard type street with retail in the middle. There are still permanant stores but also "kiosk-like" retail type businesses up and down the center part.

Veterans Park is great, why not do it justice with some cool lighting with entertainment and retail on the periphery.

Gap would be too big I think, most Gap stores are in the 6K-12K range, same with Banana Republic. Talbot's or Jos. A. Bank maybe, even though both are in the schizophrenic mall known as Breton Village. A higher end restaurant like California Pizza Kitchen could work, or maybe another Buffalo Wild Wings.

NBC Chicago has their studios on Michigan Ave. WGN radio has their studios right there too. It's fun watching the production, but you don't nearly get the people that the national morning shows get.

WZZM studios were formerly in the Pantlind. We can bring them back DT. Pull WOOD-TV out of the Hill, or WXMI out of their obscure Hubba-Tubba location. I would love this.

Plus, it's SO much easier to have a media tour when you don't have to drive around the suburbs and heritage hill.

Great ideas! What if the retail space is restricted to around 1200 sf. Did I mention that already? 1200 sf is about the size of most of the retail spaces on Monroe Center (Four Friends, Blake's, Grand Central Market).

I'll put in seconds on a NYC-style pizza-by-the-slice joint. That Brooklyn Harry's (I think that was the name) tried, but it wasn't quite right. It's gotta be simple - see the pizzas, pick your slices, they warm it in the oven and you're enjoying mere minutes later. If I could clone the pizza joint from my neighborhood in the Village, I'd make a mint, no doubt.

I'll also put in seconds for PF Changs - love that place. Lettuce wraps!

Can you tell I'm starving and should go eat lunch?!

monroecenter.jpg

Grandville.jpg

One of these big boxes is a Gap. To match up the scale on these two arials, the mall image would be about 4X the city block one.

None of those big boxes are GAP. They are the anchors: JCPenney, Marshall Fields, Kohl's, Cinemark, Younkers, Sears, Dick's Sporting Goods. The GAP could maybe go in a space like Van Hoecks Shoes, but even that's a little small I think.

Gourmet ice cream seems to be a popular choice.

Archived