Retail Possibilities?

GRDadof3

No one is going to go downtown to get ice cream. Ice cream would be later in the process of downtown rejuvination.

I don't think the idea is to be a destination spot. Just capitalizing on who's already downtown. Children from the museum, Civic Theater patrons, drunken night club people, etc. etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the idea is to be a destination spot. Just capitalizing on who's already downtown. Children from the museum, Civic Theater patrons, drunken night club people, etc. etc.

Eh, just seems like there would have to be a heck of a lot more traffic for an ice cream shop. More than the children's museum traffic and occasional theater goers.

These are all just ideas though, nothing wrong w/ throwing out ideas :)

No one is going to go downtown to get ice cream. Ice cream would be later in the process of downtown rejuvination.

I agree that it would not be a destination spot, but for the location (Children's Museum, Civic, Monroe Mall) I believe that it would nice addition to the area. Is there anyplace to get an ice cream cone in the downtown area now?

None of those big boxes are GAP. They are the anchors: JCPenney, Marshall Fields, Kohl's, Cinemark, Younkers, Sears, Dick's Sporting Goods. The GAP could maybe go in a space like Van Hoecks Shoes, but even that's a little small I think.

Gourmet ice cream seems to be a popular choice.

Downtown doesn't need more fashion stores :P (It seems thats all there is Fashion, and a few odds and ends) GR needs to diversify its marketplace. Grand Central Market, and Riverside bookstore are two wonderful additions to the retail market. Ice Cream is a little Kitchy, but could work near van andel (Tear down the Days Inn, and put up an Ice Cream shoppe!)

I'd love to see something an electronics store downtown, or (Prepare to laugh) a pet-supply store.

Why isn't there a Verizon or T-Mobile Store downtown? I think something like that would have more staying power than clothing retail.

That would be nice too, but I doube a t-mobile store would open, Verizon or Cingular though...

Downtown doesn't need more fashion stores :P (It seems thats all there is Fashion, and a few odds and ends) GR needs to diversify its marketplace. Grand Central Market, and Riverside bookstore are two wonderful additions to the retail market. Ice Cream is a little Kitchy, but could work near van andel (Tear down the Days Inn, and put up an Ice Cream shoppe!)

I'd love to see something an electronics store downtown, or (Prepare to laugh) a pet-supply store.

I think in Lansing Pruess animal house is moving near downtown. That place is awesome and is a huge draw of people. I'd love to see something like that happen in GR, but we dont have any pet stores that are nearly as cool.

I think in Lansing Pruess animal house is moving near downtown. That place is awesome and is a huge draw of people. I'd love to see something like that happen in GR, but we dont have any pet stores that are nearly as cool.

Maybe they'd be interested in expanding...

I like the electronics idea. The pet store idea would be cool, but since many of these stores allow animals in teh store there would be a problem with dogs taking big dumps on the sidewalk. :sick: I guess that's one form of a snowmelt system!

Anybody remember the ice cream parlor that used to be by Woodland Mall

in the early 70's? Was it called Faro's or Farrow's? That place was PACKED

with families and had the best ice cream offerings in the area at the time.

Old fashioned decor - think 'The Music Man'. Now that was a destination place.

Back then, you didn't get fancy ice cream just anywhere, or cheap soft serve

cones at McDonalds, didn't even get all that fancy at home because all those

flavors just weren't readily available at the grocery like they are now so

places like Faro's(?) and Jersey Junction were a real treat.

Anybody remember the ice cream parlor that used to be by Woodland Mall

in the early 70's? Was it called Faro's or Farrow's? That place was PACKED

with families and had the best ice cream offerings in the area at the time.

Old fashioned decor - think 'The Music Man'. Now that was a destination place.

Back then, you didn't get fancy ice cream just anywhere, or cheap soft serve

cones at McDonalds, didn't even get all that fancy at home because all those

flavors just weren't readily available at the grocery like they are now so

places like Faro's(?) and Jersey Junction were a real treat.

I vaugeley remember that place. It was called Farrell's. Quick google search:

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

http://www.happyitis.biz/

I *MAY* even have one of their souvenier take-home plastic mugs somewhere....Hmm...I'll have to rummage through junk @ mom's house...

You're right though - that place was always packed. And great sweet treats to boot! I don't recall which building in the outlot of Woodland mall it was in though...

I vaugeley remember that place. It was called Farrell's.

Ah Farrell's...some of my earliest memories are of that place. I remember if you ordered the 3' long banana split they brought it out to you on a stretcher and rang a bunch of bells and whistles.

I remember going there for a couple of early birthdays. The whole staff would come out and sing happy birthday and make quite a ruckus. That was back before it was normal to do that in a restaurant.

Edit: I see there is one operating near Los Angeles. I'm going to be in LA next month. I'll stop in and give a report

I like the electronics idea. The pet store idea would be cool, but since many of these stores allow animals in teh store there would be a problem with dogs taking big dumps on the sidewalk. :sick: I guess that's one form of a snowmelt system!

:rofl: well thats one service you could offer to the patrons: Free &#!( removal! :P

Ah Farrell's...some of my earliest memories are of that place. I remember if you ordered the 3' long banana split they brought it out to you on a stretcher and rang a bunch of bells and whistles.

I remember going there for a couple of early birthdays. The whole staff would come out and sing happy birthday and make quite a ruckus. That was back before it was normal to do that in a restaurant.

Edit: I see there is one operating near Los Angeles. I'm going to be in LA next month. I'll stop in and give a report

Farrell's...high school band days. If you ordered a "Zoo" (something like 50 scoops) and ate it (with friends) inside of some alloted time (20 minutes?) it was free. By yourself, they gave you an hour. And one of the desserts netted you a button, "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's." If it was your birthday the servers gathered round and sang.

The place just wasn't the same in a crowd smaller than 50 people.

"Ours" was on Southfield Road between 12 & 13 Mile. It was open until about 1983 or 4.

ETA: "In 1985, under the new owners, Farrell

I agree that it would not be a destination spot, but for the location (Children's Museum, Civic, Monroe Mall) I believe that it would nice addition to the area. Is there anyplace to get an ice cream cone in the downtown area now?

The hot dog place next door to Olive Express has ice cream. Too -Whatever's (the guy who keeps running Coney Girl off "his" corner, Monroe C. and Ottawa) has ice cream, or perhaps it's next door. There's a neon cone-shaped sign in the window. And TGIFriday's has ice cream.

Four Friends has exotic gelatos (gelati?) that are r-e-a-l-l-y good.

My favorite ice cream is sold from a pushcart during a RPC [Rosa Parks Circle] event on a hot summer night at dusk, when it's warm enough that it softens quickly and you don't get brain freeze. Several options during the blues events.

Hey, now there's an option for a meetup.

The spaces are small and the appeal should be to pedestrian traffic and walk-bys.

Given the character of the block (dance studio, Civic, Children's Museum) and the customer demographics, I was thinking about a music store that offered lessons, and sold souvenirs of the arts variety. Music note mugs, T-shirts with ballet slippers (ballet is an enduring giftware motif), noisemaker toys like tambourines and "fruit shakes" (that's a life-sized plastic fruit with little rocks inside, played as percussion), stickers, pencils. And a rack of basic black leotards and tights. And ice cream.

(Trying to maximize the space and lure the drop-in customer, while still making the SF rent. I've had retail shows that survived on the kiddie buyers of stickers and pencils.)

Archived