Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShowMeKC

Downtown Units Count

23 posts in this topic

Current number of units downtown since 2000, all under construction, built, or proposed

10,000+ units

------------------------------------------------

City Hall wants at least 16,500 units built in the river/crown/plaza (downtown/plaza) area by 2010.

KC's average occupancy is 2.5 ppl per unit. So that adds up to 41,250 more people to the river/crown/plaza area.

Units Completed Every Year...

2000: 185

2001: 303

2002: 65

2003: 389

2004: 840+ (under construction)

That's an impressive number, especially for a city the size of KC. Hopefully Detroit will catch on to KC's trend soon.

According to downtownkc.org we have about 15,100 people living downtown in 7,000 units.

So if we have 2 people per unit with 7,735 units, our downtown population would add up to 30,570 with the units right now.

City Hall will review plans for redevelopment of Columbus Park. Apparently the plans include more residential units, as well as mixed-use development.

My estimate is from 100 more units to 300...

They just don't stop coming in KC, do they? It will be interesting to see what the actual downtown population is 10 or 15 years down the road.

updated, added 258 new units, two seperate projects, one with 22 units and another with 236 units.

They just don't stop coming in KC, do they? It will be interesting to see what the actual downtown population is 10 or 15 years down the road.

It will be interesting to see what the city's total population will be by the 2010 census. I just might pass 500k

It will be interesting to see what the city's total population will be by the 2010 census. I just might pass 500k

Yeah. A lot can happen in 6 more years. I wish they did the census every five years. The numbers we're using for populations are already outdated...by the time 2010 rols around they'll be really outdated.

exactly lol,

I have no doubt our population will hit 500,000

that is just 50,000 more people.

There are lots of housing going in around the city. Not just downtown.

Are they filling up the rest of that 313 sp miles of land with housing? Thats def. going to boost the pop.

lol, not quite,

by a lot i'm talking just more than i've seen in my lifetime. or can remember

maybe 20 square miles or so of that 313 is floodplain from the Missouri River. About 60 square miles of the 313 has nearly 4,000 ppl per square mile.

There are spots all around the city that are developing housing. You would think they would be seperate towns but they aren't.

Here is one of the developments:

http://www.shoalcreekvalley.info/

1,700 acres of development (Swope Park is almost 1,800)

WHOA THATS CRAZY!!!! Thats actually inside KC. I think that is something STL doesnt have and believe me im not tryin to put STL down because I am originally from there. And I WILL have a house that big. :)

i'll ask for the other developments like Shoal Creek on the KCSkyscrapers website... I can't really think of any more.

If you want to know, 1,700 acres is about 2.5 square miles...

The interesting thing about KC (and many other cities out west) is that the area that's actually in the city extends way out far beyond the area that's actually urbanized. KC definately has room to grow.

The size of these new communities in places out west always amaze me. Still, the 700 home community pales in comparison to the massive 20,000+ home communities in California. I've even heard of some that are 25,000 homes!

according to the new Power & Light District website, downtown has over 10,000 units, (proposed, u/c, approved, etc...) I guess I have forgotten some units or projects.

That means if all are approved and constructed, downtown's population will double to over 30,000.

Which will give it a density of 10,000 people per square mile

Kansas City is definately on the move. Just the thought of 30,000 people living in the downtown area within a few years is amaizing.

Is DT KC considered as just the inner loop area or does it extend beyond that?

With all the new density, is there any plan for light rail or brt's?

It includes the loop and crown center... Basically from the river to 31st street and from I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

Emmanual Cleaver has said if he is elected to be a representative of KC then he'll work to bring federal funding for light rail in KC...

We are going to be getting a new Bus Transit system...

It includes the loop and crown center... Basically from the river to 31st street and from I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

IC now!!!

That is a large area from what I remember.

Thats why the numbers are so large for a metro of under 2 million.

But thats still alot of growth for the area.

Actually it's only an area of 3 square miles (2.9 to be exact)...

For comparison DT Minneapolis is 2 square miles... (according to their Downtown Council)