Downtown Units Count

ShowMeKC

Current number of units downtown since 2000, all under construction, built, or proposed

10,000+ units

------------------------------------------------

City Hall wants at least 16,500 units built in the river/crown/plaza (downtown/plaza) area by 2010.

KC's average occupancy is 2.5 ppl per unit. So that adds up to 41,250 more people to the river/crown/plaza area.

Units Completed Every Year...

2000: 185

2001: 303

2002: 65

2003: 389

2004: 840+ (under construction)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

They just don't stop coming in KC, do they? It will be interesting to see what the actual downtown population is 10 or 15 years down the road.

It will be interesting to see what the city's total population will be by the 2010 census. I just might pass 500k

It will be interesting to see what the city's total population will be by the 2010 census. I just might pass 500k

Yeah. A lot can happen in 6 more years. I wish they did the census every five years. The numbers we're using for populations are already outdated...by the time 2010 rols around they'll be really outdated.

lol, not quite,

by a lot i'm talking just more than i've seen in my lifetime. or can remember

maybe 20 square miles or so of that 313 is floodplain from the Missouri River. About 60 square miles of the 313 has nearly 4,000 ppl per square mile.

There are spots all around the city that are developing housing. You would think they would be seperate towns but they aren't.

Here is one of the developments:

http://www.shoalcreekvalley.info/

1,700 acres of development (Swope Park is almost 1,800)

The interesting thing about KC (and many other cities out west) is that the area that's actually in the city extends way out far beyond the area that's actually urbanized. KC definately has room to grow.

The size of these new communities in places out west always amaze me. Still, the 700 home community pales in comparison to the massive 20,000+ home communities in California. I've even heard of some that are 25,000 homes!

• 3 months later...

according to the new Power & Light District website, downtown has over 10,000 units, (proposed, u/c, approved, etc...) I guess I have forgotten some units or projects.

That means if all are approved and constructed, downtown's population will double to over 30,000.

Which will give it a density of 10,000 people per square mile

• 1 month later...

It includes the loop and crown center... Basically from the river to 31st street and from I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

Emmanual Cleaver has said if he is elected to be a representative of KC then he'll work to bring federal funding for light rail in KC...

We are going to be getting a new Bus Transit system...

Archived